What's new

Petition for Harry O to be Released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think the reason for this is that they would not want to include the pilot in any series set. Just because the pilot is released separately should not be taken as an indicator that there won't be a series release for this ever.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Just odd they didn't release the first pilot from 1973 before this one though, curious thing about this show is it had two and the second one sold it. I guess maybe a series set would become too packed if both ones had to be included, but a short series like this of only 44 episodes should be manageable somehow split into volumes even if need be.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
By the way, now I saw both pilots and I liked the second pilot(Smile Jenny,you´re dead) much more than the first pilot.

Here´s some trivia about the second pilot: I´ve just read an interview with the actress who played Jenny and she admitted that she was deeply in love with David Janssen when they were filming the second pilot.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow
Just odd they didn't release the first pilot from 1973 before this one though, curious thing about this show is it had two and the second one sold it. I guess maybe a series set would become too packed if both ones had to be included, but a short series like this of only 44 episodes should be manageable somehow split into volumes even if need be.
Is that correct what TVShowsOnDVD say in their news article about the second pilot, that it was considered the show's "real" pilot? Is that in the sense that it was the pilot which sold the show?

If this sells well and the series follows (preferably the first season in one season set and not split into two volumes), then hopefully the first pilot will follow sometime in the future.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
A bit of quite promising news is in the Search thread here, the Warner quote saying if they can clear it they're looking into releasing that show so hopefully it's the same goings on with Harry O. Now that we know it's the second pilot they regard the 'real one' closer to the series format coming first as an archive title, could be there's even the chance the series may still be considered for the real release DVD. Who's to say. They mention it as memorable in the news info, and something memorable always warrants consideration. We've seen two seasons so far of Scarecrow and Mrs. King (with Harry's old co-star Mel Stewart), had Harry O followed along that example it'd all be out and done with by now. We are talking a David Janssen show after all and one of TV's biggest stars ever, not some fly by night nobody. I just hope we shan't be reading 'no plans' again in some future chat.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Fingers crossed that dosen't happen (a "no plans" answer in a possible future Warner chat). Just hope that "Smile Jenny, You're Dead" sells well.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Interesting that you mention that, I would've thought that sales numbers through MOD should matter less to a studio once a movie or TV show is given free to order on demand...or not order. Or did I get that business all wrong, that sales still matter somehow? I mean, once it's there as a service to use for purchase it ought to be available whenever the buyer chooses to, be it now or years down the road? I'd figure this a permanent consumer option, otherwise I've missed the meaning of it. Because in the case of Search which they're interested in releasing if it pans out, how much would they expect to sell there? Really more than they'd expect from, say, Harry O? I would doubt it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I just assumed that sales mattered, whether a title was an MOD or non-MOD title.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That could be, yes. I suppose it's a part maybe, it's just that by their own account they're interested in releasing Search apparently regardless of how the pilot does so it seems sales may not be a factor in itself. And that pilot (Probe) is not even out yet.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Nico, No remastering was done for this release, but, given that, the A/V quality is good. The original WB TV logo at the beginning was retained. Here's hoping sales will be good enough to see more of Mr. Orwell soon.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It looks fine yes for something not remastered, I didn't expect it not to either quite frankly. More please, DVD or DVD-R. Is there really nobody here who can answer whether their archive sales play a part in what's made available or not? Given the example with the Search situation, and this being an on demand online service, I should think it's somewhat less important. Of course, if I'm wrong on that then I'm wrong. Not that I think this show wouldn't do well mind you, I think it would given its leading star, which is why I still champion an 'oldfashioned' DVD release primarily. And of course, the original Facebook question was for the series with an answer that should be read that way.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Hopefully, the selling numbers are so good that Warner will release Season 1 some day......

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
So do I, wonder if it's actually been remastered afterall despite saying differently in the info or it's just been kept well. Would also be interesting to know the exact state of the show itself, if it's had a facelift lately. Can only repeat what's pointed out a few times, Warner's released many rare and obscure films from their archives already they otherwise never would've, mainly 1940s titles. So if something can be cleared it'll be made available, despite selling numbers, surely that's the tactic and whole spirit of the archive idea. Making available.

Their TV shows are getting more and more attention now, thankfully. A long running show doing poorly may be a different situation, other than that, I see no difference or conflict between the release of a film vs. a made for television product. These former big TV stars, like Janssen, still have plenty of fans today which is worth remembering. Bill Bixby's another one of those names, or say a Michael Landon, their stuff now considered cult tends to always do good business. Maybe they have traditional DVD distribution in mind here, I'd certainly agree enough good reasons exist. A worthy perfect review there, by the way!

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
The Archives release of The F.B.I is pretty high on their list of current bestselling titles. This, combined with their release and promotion of Smile, Jenny and CBS/Paramount's apparent success with The Fugitive, create a pretty encouraging environment for a possible release of the actual series. I'm a little doubtful that Harry O would be a success in general release, but I think it could be very successful in the Archives format.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It'd probably do well either way, although something to keep in mind would be that many of these 60s/70s idols were heartthrobs in their day for many now older female fans (Burt Reynolds anyone, where's Dan August anyway?), and if going with archive releases only for most, they could miss out on some folks not aware of this Internet on-line service thing. Just saying, if I didn't tell my parents about some of these available titles they'd never find out.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Keeping fingers crossed the Harry O release does happen next year. The recent answer from Warner Archive on their Facebook page is promising, but I won't be buoyant about it until (or if) it's confirmed. Theory about the possible number of discs in the set(s)....the best thing would be if "Such Dust As Dreams Are Made On" and the two seasons are released together in one set, or as two separate season sets (with the first pilot TV movie included with the first season). With 44 episodes and counting the first pilot movie, there would be 46 episodes altogether, and ideally with 4 episodes per disc, 12 discs in total. Again, just a theory. And hopefully the music costs are not too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks