What's new

Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live is widescreen (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
frankly,

for a first time viewing, it is just not enjoyable, ie. distracting, and thus boring.

anyone else enjoy PASSION and LONG WALK HOME?

MikeM

Screenwriter
I guess what makes the situation worse (or better?) is that I already have an excellent 2 CD set of this concert.

So for me, the big selling point was the concert footage, essentially, the video quality. Unless the video quality is nice, which it is most certainly not, there's no reason for this DVD in it's flawed state when the audio CD version is excellent.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
It's quite disappointing to hear all this negative feedback about SWL.... I was really looking forward to this DVD too.

I was hoping the DVD was orignially recorded in widescreen, but with all the assertions to the contrary, it seems as if this is NOT the case.

Looks like Universal screwed up again.... :angry:

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Sad. Really really sad. The DVD arrived yesterday but I didn't open it yet. Now she's going back.

Time to pull out the LD again.

-greg

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I'll put in my 2 cents worth. The DVD does suck. I can live with the cropping but the crap picture quality and the DTS audio sync issue makes this disc very hard to watch. The bass is rather poor as well. I'm going to stick to the 2 CD set.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just pulled out the Laser again and it reaffirmed my earlier observations. The PCM sound is magnificent, both in stereo and DPL2-M modes. The video is not too terrible, but it's soft, grainy, noisy, and in general, a fair example of LD video. Nowhere near what the format can deliver, but about what one would expect given its age. I'm sure most of you would not find it watchable, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is framed beautifully for a large 4x3 screen. They use the corners of the square often, there are many shots where you can see that they're using the frame from the top corner where a light is shining down all the way down to a musician's feet.

It's a real shame that this wonderful music video was apparently so badly mishandled on DVD. All I can say is track down the LaserDisc if you can.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Here's a screen cap for anyone who wants to see how bad the pixelization is. It's not a blow-up, just a straight capture using PowerDVD:

http://www.theforumisdown.com/upload...03/Gabriel.jpg

Edited to add: You need to copy and paste this URL into your browser. Simply clicking it will not work. If anyone has a place to host the photo so that it will be available directly in this thread, please do so.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Wow, that cap says it all. That's an extreme example, but not too extreme being that it appears that those super quick pixelation problems happen on all DVDs, not just some 'bad ones'.

I returned this DVD today :frowning:

However, does anyone who still owns it, or has the info know the mailing address to write to the manufacturer?

I'd really like to fire off a snail mail letter about this DVD, because I can understand certain limitations due to source material, but this DVD should never have been released until they cleared up the artifacts and pixelation errors.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Paste that screen cap URL into your browser if you want to see it.

Then vomit.

Yeah, I'll take the laserdisc. It doesn't look like a turd.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ken - Your screencap link is DOA. Could you or someone else repost please? I really want to get this disc, but not if it's as bad as everyone says it is.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Doug, it is as bad as people say. The link was working for me, by the way.

Wow, that cap says it all. That's an extreme example, but not too extreme being that it appears that those super quick pixelation problems happen on all DVDs, not just some 'bad ones'.
Very few DVD's exhibit mastering errors like this.

- Steve

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
There are more pixels for your viewing (dis)pleasure during "Sledgehammer" at 69:02.

MikeM

Screenwriter

Very few DVD's exhibit mastering errors like this.
Sorry Steve, my sentence was worded strangely. I didn't mean in refernce to other DVDs, I meant that the screen cap is a good example of some of the pixelation errors that are showing up on all of these Peter Gabriel DVDs. In other words it doesn't appear that I just got a "bad disc", but rather all of these Secret World Live discs are screwed.

I've never seen a DVD with the video quality this bad, or with this many errors in....umm.....well, ever really. This DVD is a mess. :thumbsdown:

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
my disc[as far as i could tell]had none of those pixelization problems
Maybe yours came from a good batch . . . or maybe you blinked? ;)

Seriously, I'm curious to see if you can spot the problems if you look for them. To recap, they're at:

49:26 (Kiss That Frog)
58:32 (Solsbury Hill)
69:02 (Sledgehammer)

But if you're genuinely satisfied with the disc, just enjoy it and ignore the rest of us. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks