What's new

Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live is widescreen (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
(Sorry, I know there was another topic on this release, but search isn't working right now).

According to the 'Bits, Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live is widescreen.

My question is: was the original VHS/Laserdisc a P&S version or will this be a crop of the original 4:3 image?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall the 4:3 laserdisc ever having a claustrophic feeling, as most cropped discs do.

If the director did not originally compose this for widescreen, and this release has been modified to pander to the widescreen crowd, I'll be just as sickened as when Disney pans-and-scans a classic to please the 4:3 crowd.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall the 4:3 laserdisc ever having a claustrophic feeling, as most cropped discs do.

If the director did not originally compose this for widescreen, and this release has been modified to pander to the widescreen crowd, I'll be just as sickened as when Disney pans-and-scans a classic to please the 4:3 crowd.
Me too. I have the LaserDisc and it seems that the composition is perfect for 4:3, a widescreen crop would suck if it wasn't originally intended.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Hmm. The concert was shot in 1993 which would put it before 16x9 delivery requirements were manadory for submission to major European broadcasters. But, it was directed by François Girard (who also directed THE RED VIOLIN and 32 SHORT FILMS ABOUT GLENN GOULD among others).

It is possible that he composed it for a 1.66 theatrical release in Europe and possibly the United States. After all, there was a wave of theatrically released concert films in the mid- and late-eighties. The laserdisc transfer is probably a full aperture transfer and I'd agree that I remember it as being well balanced.

Probably the only way we'd know for sure is if someone asked Mr. Girard himself.

-greg

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to seeing this for the first time. I saw Peter Gabriel live on his recent "Growing Up" tour and it was a great show. I hope he plans to release a DVD of that one as well.

Alan_P

Grip
If this is coming out on Feb 11, as the bit's says. When will the reviews start coming in?

Clint B

Second Unit
Certainly not the most reliable source, but Best Buy's website says this is now slated for March 4.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I also remember the LD looking great at 4:3, however, the only LD of Girard's 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould is also framed 4:3 and also looks fine, even though I know that it definitely had a theatrical run. So you never know.

I'm very curious as to how this will look in widescreen!

EricMa

Grip
Does anyone have any further details? From all I can tell this is coming out next week and I cannot find any info about the format. The cover clearly says widescreen, but is it Anamorphic? Film based or video? Some may reconsider if the video is poor.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Anybody seen this disc yet? It's due next Tuesday and I can't wait to check it out. Have any reviewers received an advance copy?

Clint B

Second Unit
I echo Mr. Peterson's sentiments. Has anyone seen this thing yet? How is it? Is the widescreen a true widescreen image or a cropped one?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Looks matted.

Looks HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over compressed, grainy, smoky, soft, blocky etc etc etc.

Not proud to own it.

Sound is so-so.

What was it shot with?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
When you say it "looks matted" can you give us some more information? Do you have the original LD or VHS to compare? What is the aspect ratio?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
based on comments that if it is originally 1.33, looking at all the shots, then it could be matted for 1.85.

regardless, the print/transfer is just unacceptable for this day and age of DVDs.

they should have dropped an audio track or some extras.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If it was shot on video, it is certainly going to look like hell zoomed/cropped to fill an anamorphic video frame.

Regardless, somebody do an LD/DVD comparison quick (for composition and quality), before I cave and buy this disc!

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Say it isn't so! I bought this today, but I think I'll wait to hear from those who have seen it before I open it. I was torn between buying this and the Superbit Das Boot. If all the reports come back negative I might have to go back and get it instead.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
they should have dropped an audio track or some extras.
Did you author the disc? Do you know the reason it sounds and/or looks like it does? Just speculating again?

As far as I'm concerned you've offered nothing but speculation and FUD about this release. I personally am only tangentially interested as I already own the fine LaserDisc (I bought it, U2: Zoo TV Live, and Army Of Darkness the day I bought my first LD player). If the DVD audio is sourced from the same master as the Laser than I would expect it to be excellent. The PCM on the Laser is stunning. What are the specs of the audio tracks? Care to give us some information?

This concert video is one of the best I've ever seen, and I have a very large collection of concert video. The performances are all fantastic, the cinematorgraphy is excellent, the audio is reference on the LaserDisc. The only place where the LD doesn't hold up is in image. It's quite grainy and somewhat soft. This could be the fault of the master, in which case it can't be fixed on DVD. It does look very nicely composed for 4:3 to my eyes.

Please, don't let some speculation hold you back from enjoying one of the best concert video performances ever released.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I rented the laserdisc years ago and really loved it. I am shocked it took this long to put it out on DVD and I have been looking forward to its release forever. I'm hoping more people who have seen the DVD can shed some light on this discussion. If it is at least the quality of the laserdisc I'll be happy.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Phil,

I watch 25 DVDs every week.
This one sticks out like a sore thumb, that's all.

nothing more, nothing less.

I like Peter Gabriel.

Remix, remastered amounts to marketing in my book.

I'd rather watch paint dry.

and that's not speculation.

speculation would have been saying things like, "This DVD sucks!", so to speak.

I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks