What's new

Perforated screen and in wall speakers? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
OK. Just moved to Florida. Met with home theatre installation people today. The room is 12ft 8 inches by 14 feet deep. They are recommending in wall Klipsch speakers for the front wall with a perforated screen in front of them. I heard Klipsch speakers at a store years ago and thought they sounded like crap. Maybe these are better. Also read that perforated screens will distort the sound somewhat. They also recommend in ceiling speakers above the back wall. I know this will look good but how will it sound?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is this a 5.1 setup? If so, they’re recommending in-ceiling speakers at the back of the room as surrounds?

I can’t help you with the scree.

Did they explain why they recommend in-wall speakers?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
They recommended in-wall for the front so you could have a perforated screen in front of them. With this setup, the sound will be more natural coming from the screen instead of below it. That makes sense in someway as in my previous room the three speakers were below the screen.

He might have said the two surround speakers will be in the back wall instead of the ceiling. I'll have to check with him again.

Yes, a 5.1 but he said he had two more speakers that he received for free that he could hook up and make the system a 7.1

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
There's no doubt that the most authentic ":theatre" sound is produced by speakers behind a perforated screen. If you have enough depth in the room the speakers don't have to be in the wall. They can be free standing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've just gotten so suspicious about how often I see salespeople and installers insisting on Klipsch. I can't even remember the last time someone came here asking for feedback on what has been recommended to them, when the recommended speaker wasn't Klipsch. One person commented that the sales person refused to even discuss a different brand. Klipsch must be offering some mighty big incentives to salespeople these days. Basically bribing them to sell their line.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I still have my three Definitive Technology Mythos Two speakers and they could be mounted on the wall behind the screen, I don't have the brackets for them though. They might sound better than Klipsch. The installers said they would install whatever I have but thought the $699 Klipsch would blow away the Def Tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks