What's new

Pearl Harbor What Are The Extras On The Directors Cut??? (1 Viewer)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Having got the 2disk set today and watched the documentry, i am now wondering what is on the directors cut??
The documentry is very detailed, so i cannot see what other extras there can be apart from an exstention of this.
Oh and if David or anybody is readin, what exactly is gonna be added to the directors cut of the film, i noticed some scenes in thw doc which were not in the film.
Many thanks
Cheers:)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The Directors Cut of Pearl Harbor isn't out until May. Since that's six months away the situation is very fluid and the extras could change.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This title does not officially come out till Dec 4 but a few places I have seen already have it. Correct though, it has two very beefy documentaries on it. I have not timed them but the longer one seems around an hour to me.. (anyone?). Very nice job on the DVD package.

BTW, why does everyone hate this movie. I heard nothing but negative about it but I bought it anyway, sight unseen and loved it.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Is May the confirmed release date for the Directors Cut? Im waiting for the the DC. I read in a thread a few months ago when the situation on the delay was said, that it would be pushed back "as far back as May". So, has this been confirmed? I dont want to wait that long. Ill have to rent the theatrical release a lot.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Excerpted from here: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa45.html
Oh... but we're still not done. On January 15th, Buena Vista will release the Pearl Harbor: Director's Cut - Vista Series as a 3-disc DVD set. All the special programs, documentaries and featurettes from the 60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition will be included, but the set will feature a special R-rated, 5-minute longer cut of the film, which is more graphic than what was seen in theaters. Disc One will feature custom 3D-animated menus, an introduction an explanation of letterbox by the director, Part I of Pearl Harbor: The Director's Cut, an Intermission Sequence (with score), 3 selectable audio commentaries by the director, the cast and the producer, and various crew members. Disc Two will feature Part II of Pearl Harbor: The Director's Cut. And the rest of the extras will be split over Disc Two and Disc Three. They are expected to include 8 different Making of Pearl Harbor featurettes (including Battleship Row Attack, Sandbag Explosion, Dorrie Miller at the Guns, The Airfield Attack, Scramble to the Planes, The Dud Bomb, Oklahoma Gimble and The Doolittle Raid), a 30-minute multi-angle exploration of the Surprise Attack (featuring director introduction, and multiple video, audio and commentary tracks), a Pearl Harbor timeline, the Faith Hill music video, a Boot Camp featurette that follows the actors preparing for their roles, a montage of unseen super-8 footage (shot for potential use in the movie by Michael Bay's visual assistant, Mark Palansky) and animatic concept footage. Video will be anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1) with audio in Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Look also for the set to include a custom THX logo, THX Optimode test signals and possibly even a Dolby Headphone feature (which allows simulated 5.1 sound using stereo headphones for portable DVD players). SRP for the Vista Series Director's Cut will be $39.99.
Of course, this has since been pushed back. The reason why this movie is so hated I think is because it is after all, supposed to be a cinematic protrayal of one of the most tragic events in US history. Imagine in 50 years someone making a movie about our more recent trajedies and sugar coating the actual events with a sappy love triangle. Then you begin to see why everyone blasted the movie. Take Pearl Harbor for what it is, a popcorn flick, and then it is a bit more enjoyable.

David Prior

Insider
Jez:

I'm glad you like the disc you have, but if you'll pardon a shameless bit of self promotion, you ain't seen nothing yet. The supplemental material on the Director's Cut disc goes as deep into the making of the film and the history of the event as we could possibly go. It's a four disc set and actually I'm out of room. (I made a joke the other day about going to five discs, but nobody laughed). And as I've said elsewhere, it's not four discs out of a desire to be the biggest DVD on the block. It's just that there's so much good, valuable material that creating the definitive release of Pearl Harbor required a lot of running time.

As strong as the attack sequence is in the PG-13 version, there's a conspicuous lack of human casualties, and that's been addressed by Michael Bay for the director's cut. There's also a short scene between Alec Baldwin, Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett that's been restored, and a few shots have been nipped and tucked.

And yes, the release date is in May.

Cheers,

David Prior

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
David
Four Disc? Ah..what the hell, go for five.:)
I enjoyed Pearl Harbor and will probably pick up both sets. Thanks for the update.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Thanks Mr. Prior for the respons :)
I don't want you to give too much away of course, but how does Micheal Bay feel about first one and a hour of the existing version, the love drama between the three principal characters? Is much or some of that being edited out? Or is more being put back in? I enjoyed the movie, but didn't care much for this part, so of course I would like to see it being trimmed down. :)
Anyway, Pearl Harbor: VISTA Series...HERE I COME!....i May.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks David for that info. I will definitely be getting the DC as well as the gift set which hopefully will land today!!! I loved this movie, despite it's flaws. There were flaws in Saving Private Ryan as well. The movie worked for me on a lot of different levels. One lasting impression it had was how much our current generation takes our freedom for granted, and the sacrifices that were made then.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I don't want you to give too much away of course, but how does Micheal Bay feel about first one and a hour of the existing version, the love drama between the three principal characters? Is much or some of that being edited out? Or is more being put back in? I enjoyed the movie, but didn't care much for this part, so of course I would like to see it being trimmed down.
Yeah, I was curious about this too. What parts in the film will be altered or deleted for the DC? Just curious cause its hard to explain to my friends how they should wait for the more, "Male-oriented".

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Thanks David.

Sounds like a set not to be missed!

I was under the impression that the DC was pushed back because Buena Vista thought the earlier release date was hurting sales of the current edition. Whether or not this was the case, it seems the extra time is being very well spent.

A mediocre movie (with the exception of the attack sequence) has just become one on my most anxiously awaited purchases.

johnbud

Auditioning
The director's cut is scheduled to be released on May 15, 2002. Here are the details from dvdempire.com:

Features:

Animated Menus

Introduction by Director Michael Bay

Intermission Sequence (with score)

3 selectable audio commentaries by the director, the cast and the producer, and various crew members

8 different Making of Pearl Harbor featurettes (including Battleship Row Attack, Sandbag Explosion, Dorrie Miller at the Guns, The Airfield Attack, Scramble to the Planes, The Dud Bomb, Oklahoma Gimble and The Doolittle Raid)

30-minute multi-angle exploration of the Surprise Attack (featuring director introduction, and multiple video, audio and commentary tracks)

Documentary

Cast Interviews

Pearl Harbor timeline

Faith Hill music video "There You’ll Be"

THX Certified

Video:

Widescreen 2.35:1

Audio:

ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1

ENGLISH: DTS 5.1

Subtitles:

[None]

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Many thanks David for the information very interesting:)
Oh and on a side note have you recorded the audio commentary's yet what they like funny/interesting.
Oh anybody know what the confirmed cast and crew are who are going to contribute?
Many thanks once again david:)
Cheers

David Prior

Insider
I'm not at liberty to say what's been cut from the director's cut just yet. I know specifically of three shots, but in any event they're not drastic changes; it's still basically the same movie.

Jez:

There's commentary by Alec Baldwin, Ben Affleck & Josh Hartnett (together), Michael Bay with his film teacher Janine Basinger, Jerry Bruckheimer, John Schwartzman, Michael Kaplan, Nigel Phelps, Martin Lange and Hans Zimmer.

As far as what's been announced, there is a Why Widescreen? demo (similar to Die Hard), but I wouldn't count on the Michael Bay introductions. There's also an interactive feature with Michael and FX supervisor Eric Brevig discussing and demonstrating the major effects sequences. It's informative, but also very funny and off the cuff.

I hope you like it all.

Cheers,

David Prior

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
David.

Thanks for the information. I know I will love the new disc. I watched the 2 disc set today and was majorly impressed with not only the audio/video quality but also the supplemental features. I can't wait to learn more about the production of this monumental film.

I can only imagine how good it's going to be. While I would have liked to have it in January I'd rather wait and get a that much better release in May.

Thanks again for stopping by.

Mark

Mark E J

Second Unit
David,

WOW! GREAT DISC! The picture and sound quality sets a new standard. The extras were very good too. I thought both documentaries where engrossing and I liked the new music on the teaser. It takes a little getting used to because the TRL music is so familiar but all in all a great job with what was avalible. How come you used the international full trailer? I kind of liked the domestic cut better. Oh well no big deal.

By the way without going into any details, will the R-rated attack scene be extended to show completely new footage or will it be just a more graphic version of whats already been shown?

Also can you or anyone else confirm wether or not a sequence involving the USS Nevada was ever filmed? I keep hearing rumors about this scene but I've been burned too many times on this type of thing. I can remember discussing with people wether or not a load of rumored deleted footage was going to be restored to Hannibal when it came out on DVD. But it turned out that most of the footage in question wasn't even filmed. So I was hoping someone could set the record straight on these Nevada rumors once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks