What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And it’s $46. No thanks.

Or $30 from Bullmoose (a most reputable retailer) so prices will decrease substantially once the others put it up for sale

Edit: 1st price points from other retailers now starting
Walmart $31
Target $34
BBY and DD still pending

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm ok enough w/ a modest premium in this case, but really would much prefer a (more) standard packaging release instead, especially given how tacky this steelbook cover art looks...

_Man_

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris, you've mentioned a couple times here, and also in your recent Nitrateville interview, about the Technicolor processing error making the original prints turn green in a matter of weeks. Do you know why that happened, or specifically what the processing error was? It seems weird that they would change color so rapidly. Just a matter of curiosity really.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, you've mentioned a couple times here, and also in your recent Nitrateville interview, about the Technicolor processing error making the original prints turn green in a matter of weeks. Do you know why that happened, or specifically what the processing error was? It seems weird that they would change color so rapidly. Just a matter of curiosity really.
I'm afraid I don't. Presume it might have been something in fixing. Technicolor (London) replaced all of the prints, and credited the charges for the long version matrices that were never used as a consolation.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'll post the Library of Congress Festival of Film & Sound Schedule here as well, since so many people visit this thread. As I already remarked, my wife and I are attending. So many interesting films are included, such as
All that Money Can Buy; the new restoration of Pickford's Johanna Enlists; Norma Talmadge's The Lady (a marvelous Borzage film and terrific performance). etc.
https://www.loc.gov/events/film-and-sound-festival

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll post the Library of Congress Festival of Film & Sound Schedule here as well, since so many people visit this thread. As I already remarked, my wife and I are attending. So many interesting films are included, such as
All that Money Can Buy; the new restoration of Pickford's Johanna Enlists; Norma Talmadge's The Lady (a marvelous Borzage film and terrific performance). etc.
All That Money Can Buy is extraordinary. A beautiful reconstruction and restoration from UCLA.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wish Criterion would release this Blu-ray title already so we can finally see Scott MacQueen's restoration.
Last I heard, it was on the schedule.

Seeing (and hearing) this gorgeous restorative effort, immediately brings to the fore the quality and tenor of the RKO studio style. Shades of Mr. Welles.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I've seen that VCI is releasing Johanna Enlists on Blu-ray later this year.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Too bad Loew's Jersey is not showing films. Who knows if they ever will again. Their presentation of My Best Girl was quite wonderful. Maybe it will become nothing now but a concert hall and a catering center for weddings and the like. Politicians have made promises but they mean as much as used tissues. I have to admit I hate silents on TV. They are so diminished.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
LAWRENCE on the 4K Blu looks as good as I've ever seen it; but then, I only saw it theatrically on the cheap double feature (with CATCH-22) at a (then) Jerry Lewis Cinema locally that had two smallish screens for revival titles. It latest became a XXX theater before becoming the paint store it currently is. The print was loaded with scratches, splices, and multiple changeover cues every ten minutes, etc. The 4K finally allows me to see the detail in Anthony Quinn's lengthy first appearance, individual grains of sand on the dunes, strands of hair, etc. I'm very happy with the transfer and with the steelbook case.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
LAWRENCE on the 4K Blu looks as good as I've ever seen it; but then, I only saw it theatrically on the cheap double feature (with CATCH-22) at a (then) Jerry Lewis Cinema locally that had two smallish screens for revival titles. It latest became a XXX theater before becoming the paint store it currently is. The print was loaded with scratches, splices, and multiple changeover cues every ten minutes, etc. The 4K finally allows me to see the detail in Anthony Quinn's lengthy first appearance, individual grains of sand on the dunes, strands of hair, etc. I'm very happy with the transfer and with the steelbook case.
If you saw the film in the early ‘70s, it was probably one of those wonderful new Eastman prints, derived from the 35 reduction IP that had one ten minute reel flopped, ie left to right, with the camels going in the wrong direction.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If you saw the film in the early ‘70s, it was probably one of those wonderful new Eastman prints, derived from the 35 reduction IP that had one ten minute reel flopped, ie left to right, with the camels going in the wrong direction.

Probably, yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks