What's new

Passive sub question (1 Viewer)

Chris DeHart

Auditioning
I have a passive sub that I got with my Wharfedale Modus Movies 5 speaker package. I know, not the best setup, but we all have to start somewhere....

Anywho, I'm wondering if it's better to try and get a separate amp to power this passive sub, or is it better to just go ahead and invest in a powered sub? Or, with the "quality" of my current surround system, should I leave everything alone until I'm ready to step up to a "real" system?

Thanks,

Chris

KevinMcL

Agent
That depends on how happy you are with the current setup.

The only person you have to please is you. Are you aching to upgrade, and have the means to do so? Then I'd hold off. If you're satisfied that a little more low-end would finish the equation for you, I'd look at the price of sub amps, and pit that against a pre-fab sub. There are some nice models on partsexpress.com for as low as $99.

Good luck with whichever route you choose!

PennyB

Auditioning
Chris,

How are you powering the sub now? From a speaker-level subwoofer connection on your receiver? Even with a lower end speaker system, you will probably see a general improvement in sound quality if you power your sub with a separate amp. Subs take a LOT of power, so relying on your receiver to power the sub plus all the speakers puts a heavy load on your receiver.

So, the simple answer to your question is that I would either get an amplifier for the current sub or, preferably, get a decent powered sub. Either way, your overall sound quality should improve.

Have fun!

Penny

Chris DeHart

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, right now I'm powering the sub from my FR/FL speaker outputs on my receiver.

As far as means goes, that tax refund looks tempting, but if anything, I'll probably invest in an HD TV first. I didn't realize I could get a amp for $99. Everything I had seen was in the $300+ range, which is about what I paid for the entire speaker package!

Thanks again!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks