Passion of the Christ DVD -Full bitrate DTS?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by IanS, Aug 27, 2004.

1. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

I just picked this up today and the DTS is in 1536 kbs.
    This is the first disc that I have seen like this in a long time. Haven't listened to it yet, but it is interesting that this title is in full bitrate DTS

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

When you did a bitrate check were you watching the movie or the DTS trailer on the disc? I ask because the trailers are always full bitrate but the movies themselves are usually half. I don't have this title yet so it would be really interesting to have a full bitrate release.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Since they didn't send out screeners, I haven't seen Passion, but the press release went out of its way to specify it included full bitrate DTS, so I'd be surprised if it WASN'T that way...

4. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

there is no DTS trailer on the DVD, or at least not on the Canadian release which is what I have my hands on.
    I got the bitrate while viewing it on PowerDVD. 1536 kbs confirmed. I was able to capture a screen but can't figure how to copy and paste it into this forum without publishing it to a web page.

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Fox seems to be using 1509kbps DTS for this title across several regions (1,2,4). An interesting move, and perhaps some food for thought for Columbia TriStar.

Adam

6. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

This is surprising. Especially since the movie is over 2 hours long and the DVD also includes a Dolby 5.1 track.

7. jake moosey

jake moosey Stunt Coordinator

8. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

There are no extras on this disc, and no additonal languages other than the Aramaic/etc one in different formats. Movie is only 127min. It isnt really surprising it was full bitrate on there, and one hell of a transfer to boot on it as well.

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I think we've got a different release than in Canada. The US disc certainly does not appear to be full bitrate DTS. I'm no wizard on this, but it just doesn't look right as far as the file sizes.

Here's the breakdown on the U.S. version, which I assume is the different from the Canadian:

Video 6,010 MB
    DD 5.1 Latin 423 MB
    DTS 5.1 Latin 715 MB
    DD 2.0 English 181 MB
    Running time 2:06:06

In comparison, here's the breakdown of American Beauty which is almost 5 minutes shorter.

Video 4,435 MB
    DTS 5.1 English 669 MB
    DD 5.1 English 398 MB
    DD 2.0 English 172 MB
    DD 2.0 Commentary 172 MB
    Running Time 2:01:29

By comparison, here is the R3 Universe release of Battle Royale which I know for a fact is indeed full bitrate DTS.

Video 4,794 MB
    DTS 5.1 Japanese 1,214 MB
    DD 5.1 Japanese 307 MB
    DD 2.0 Japanese 153 MB
    Running Time 1:53:01

The version of Passion Of The Christ I checked was the widescreen release from Fox UPC # 024543129752.

Perhaps someone else can decipher this data, but unless I'm missing something, that disc is definitely not full bitrate.

Jeff

10. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I didn't think this movie was being dubbed in English ?

11. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

interestingly enough.......the DVD I have has a Warner Bros Logo preceding the film. This DVD is the genuine article, not a knockoff. No Fox Logo's on the DVD case or disc itself, only on the back is the usual Fox copyrights in microscopic print below the language grid.

Aramaic/Latin/Hebrew-DTS 5.1 in 1536kb and the same in Dolby Digital 448KBS.

UPC info 8539664192
    There is a logo both on the disc and case, referencing some company called Equinoxe Films...not sure if this is a Hollywood studio name or Canadian distributor.
    The picture is quite good and the DTS and Dolby tracks are quite exspansive.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Jonathan Valin had an interesting (poorly written) review in The Perfect Vision. He said the video and audio transfers were excellent. Too bad he missed the whole message in the movie.

13. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Sounds like we'll get an image that's just not as good as it should have been thanks to all these useless extra audio tracks taking up all that precious space! For *true* HT owners, with large front projection displays, the limitations of the video bitrate will be painfully obvious in more challenging scenes for compression. What a shame.

-Dennis

14. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

Warner distributed this film in Canada through Equionox I believe.

15. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Shouldn't you actually SEE the thing before you get on your soapbox and criticize it?

16. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

At lunch time I walked into a video store that was renting the film already and I picked up the empty cover and it seems to be different from the Canadian Version (no english language only subtitles).

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

THe English track is a described track for the visually impaired, not a dub.

18. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

One can only imagine...

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

Why should the full bitrate DTS cause a problem? It's a DVD-9 and the film is only 125 minutes long. It's basically getting a layer per hour, which is extremely good for a film.

The reviews so far make it seem that the video is more or less flawless. It was shot in Panavision and color timed digitally, so there's no reason it shouldn't look great. It's not like it's Miramax releasing the DVD [​IMG].

20. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Equinoxe Films is the Canadian theatrical distributor of the film. All their DVDs are handled by distributed through Warner Bros but retain the Equinoxe Film's logo.