What's new

Passion of the Christ DVD -Full bitrate DTS? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:For *true* HT owners, with large front projection displays, the limitations of the video bitrate will be painfully obvious in more challenging scenes for compression.

I'm not sure, but I think I've just been insulted.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
quote:Jonathan Valin had an interesting (poorly written) review in The Perfect Vision. He said the video and audio transfers were excellent. Too bad he missed the whole message in the movie.

Here's a link to said review.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Dennis,

Could you please give me the definition of a *true* HT owner? That sounded like a pretty arrogant comment if you ask me.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I wouldn't mind an English dub as long as it comes off like Das Boot but doubt that it happens in any region? If it does, could someone please verify it? I think the files the person were referring to were the text files for subtitles.

Eric

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Just got my copy of The Passion. No full bitrate DTS according to PowerDVD. I have yet to watch or listen yet though...just thought I'd chime in to dispense the rumour.

AJG

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
quote:Could you please give me the definition of a *true* HT owner? That sounded like a pretty arrogant comment if you ask me.
Ok the question wasn't for me, but here is my 2 cents. All HT's that don't have a front projector is not complete yet IMO,which is why it is on my list as a very next purchase.There is no reason to get excited,we all have different needs and budget.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Let me chime in here too since this is also a pet peeve of mine.

That not "everyone" who visits the HTF are completely into home theater systems. There is a lot of other useful information that comes out of these forums that benefits us who watch DVDs on 27" televisions and nothing else.

There are are also a lot of in-betweens that can be classified as Home Theaters without having a front projection system and a 10-foot screen! So to try and funnel your view as to who or what justifies a *true* HT owner is being narrow minded as well as arrogant.

Eric

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:Jonathan Valin had an interesting (poorly written) review in The Perfect Vision. He said the video and audio transfers were excellent.

That review's a waste of time - as a DVD review. One sentence to cover picture and sound? What's the point? While I think DVD critics should critique the movies, I don't understand those who spend 99% of their time on the films and say virtually nothing about the discs themselves...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Colin,

I have to agree to you on people who spend 99% on the film and 1% on the disc reviews. I am sure there are plenty of visitors who would like to combine both to make a purchase decision especially if they haven't seen the movie. You need a better balance because there are "movie" review sites that don't dabble in aftermarket transfers where as we would also like to know about the disc.

Eric

david*mt

Second Unit
quote:

That review's a waste of time - as a DVD review. One sentence to cover picture and sound? What's the point? While I think DVD critics should critique the movies, I don't understand those who spend 99% of their time on the films and say virtually nothing about the discs themselves...

I think dvd reviewers should critique the audio, video, and extras only. If I want a review of the film itself I will go to Rottentomatoes.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:I think dvd reviewers should critique the audio, video, and extras only. If I want a review of the film itself I will go to Rottentomatoes.

You can always skip that part of the DVD review - it's not like you're forced to read it. However, a DVD review that barely mentions the DVD... that just seems odd to me.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
quote:While I think DVD critics should critique the movies, I don't understand those who spend 99% of their time on the films and say virtually nothing about the discs themselves... .

Then everyone needs to rush out and buy a copy of HOUSE OF THE DEAD since it's one of the greatest DVD releases I've seen (out of 2000+).
biggrin.gif

I say let the reviewers do their job and the readers can select what they want or don't want to read. This is just my opinion of course but as you know, there are two sides and you've gotta try to keep both happy.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
quote:I think dvd reviewers should critique the audio, video, and extras only. If I want a review of the film itself I will go to Rottentomatoes.

That's all well and good for new movies, but movies that came out before 1997 or so will have little to nothing on rottentomatoes.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Of course reviews are simply a "matter of opinion"... what one person likes or dislikes, how their eye or ears see's and hear's things which may be different than you. There are a lot of Academy Award winners including best picture that do not interest my taste in movies and sure many feel the same way. Another form of review and opinion.

One can't take a review, even one centered on the disc, as gospel because it is only one person's opinion.

Eric

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very surprised that Widescreen Review has not reviewed this movie yet! Any ideas why? Usually, they review movies well before they are released.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
To those wondering about the audio and video on this disc... Earlier tonight I was watching the U.S. release of The Passion. I didn't check the bitrates, but the sound is crystal clear. Nobody will be complaining.

As for the video -- it's pretty good. In all honesty, though, I was expecting it to look a bit better. My biggest complaint is that it didn't much remind me of the print I saw in the theatres, just a few months ago. I always like to see a DVD transfer that brings back my memories of how the same film looked on the big screen. This DVD didn't do that for me. It felt liked it was a bit over-cooked in the color timing, which gave it a very dazzling but somewhat soft look. If I were planning on buying this film (I do not) then I'd probably be tempted to wait for a SE release, in case the transfer improves. I think there is room for improvement.

Of course, I dunno why I'm even bothering to type this, since everyone who wants this disc seems to have found one already...
wink.gif

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
I double checked the audio and video sizes on the Canadian release, with a different software utility and it confirmed my initial findings on PowerDVD:

Video at 6738 Mb

audio AC3 5.1 at 448 Mb

audio DTS 5.1 at 1508 Mb

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:I say let the reviewers do their job and the readers can select what they want or don't want to read. This is just my opinion of course but as you know, there are two sides and you've gotta try to keep both happy.

??? I agree - that's what I said. Not sure why you responded to me for that. I prefer - and write - reviews that balance opinions of movie and DVD. It's the ones that focus entirely on the movie - like the one linked above, or most of them at DVD Journal - that don't make sense to me...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I sure would like some official confirmation as to "IS THE PASSION DVD TRULY FULL BITRATE DTS ON THE R1 RELEASE" ??

Can someone please let us know for sure?

Thanks abunch!

TROY

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There are two R1 releases (4 if you count P&S), one we know about, so I presume you mean the U.S. WS version? I'd like to know about that one too.

[More importantly to me, since half-rate dts is still quite good, I'd like to know if the full-rate dts eats into the PQ, if in fact the U.S./Can. releases use different dts bitrates.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks