What's new

Paramount+ Paramount+ Streaming Service (Formerly CBS All Access) (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looking at all the isolated problems getting various audio and video formats on all the various devices just makes it more clear to me, if you want the best streaming experience, you just have to get an AppleTV 4K. End of story.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Looking at all the isolated problems getting various audio and video formats on all the various devices just makes it more clear to me, if you want the best streaming experience, you just have to get an AppleTV 4K. End of story.

Have to agree, especially for Paramount+. I was pleasantly surprised their app on ATV4K seems to properly default to multichannel track (and not the usually annoyingly much louder stereo PCM track) unlike their Roku app the last I checked -- maybe they've fixed that issue for Roku app too, but I don't have a Roku in my setup anymore.

Still, the app is not w/out issues/quirks on ATV4K, but my by-far #1 peeve w/ the Paramount+ app has been resolved by switching to ATV4K.

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
None of the 4K HDR/Dolby Vision content on Paramount+ will now playback on Roku 4K HDR/DV capable devices and TVs. Contacting customer support at Paramount+ remains a bit of a joke, as no one seems to be aware of the issue (despite TWO separate threads on the issue over on Roku's Community Support forum, many posters claiming to have contacted P+ and either receiving no response or troubleshooting steps that have nothing to do with the issue and eventually blaming Roku).
Paramount+ has now acknowledged the issue with 4K HDR playback (or the lack thereof) on all capable Roku devices and TVs is related to Roku OS 10.5, and that the issue will likely not get resolved until the next major Roku OS update, expected in the next 2-3 months (which, if you have ever waited for a Roku update to become available on your device once the rollout is publicly announced, could take an additional 2-3 months).

What makes no sense about that statement is that I do not have these issues on my Roku devices on Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV+, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Prime Video, etc.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well good thing I have Paramount+ on my Shield with Dolby Vision.

...shame its the glitchiest app I've got and crashes more times than it loads.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Paramount+ And Showtime OTT To Combine In Single Streaming Outlet Starting At $12 A Month; Showtime To Remain Available As Stand-Alone . New combined serivice is $12 a month with ads with no ads on Showtime programs or $15 without anu ads. New combined service should start this summer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My subscription comes due next month, as I bought a year up front of the no advertisement version for $50. I don't think we will be keeping the service, as we have not watched it enough.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My annual ad-free sub is up today, and P+ is supposed to honor that 50% coupon again for me, plus an additional credit for the 4K Roku issue. We'll see if that actually happens...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think I’ll need showtime so I will continue with P+ on its own when it comes time to renew.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So, Paramount+ did honor that 50% coupon plus the additional credit last week. However, the major issues the streamer is having with Roku TVs and devices (inability to stream 4K HDR) and Samsung TVs (major digital rights issues) are still plaguing the service, with no real fix in sight for those customers. Paramount+ is hoping the issue with Roku will be fixed after Roku rolls out new firmware in the next few months (!), but I think they are being rather delusional about it, as Roku denies that v10.5 disabled 4K HDR playback on P+, and rightfully so since none of the other streaming services (HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime Video, Movies Anywhere, Vudu, Apple TV) encountered this issue when that update was released.

The Samsung issue is more severe (one more reason to use a stand alone streaming device) as users are finding that content simply won't play with an error telling them that the content is not available in their region/territory.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, I just checked trying to cancel my Paramount+ subscription via their Windoze app, and they offered me 50%-off the next 2 months to not cancel, so I just went w/ that instead...

_Man_
I just canceled my subscription today, and did not receive any offer to extend at a discount. Did you receive this offer immediately when you attempted to cancel, or did it come later?

Oh, well, if I don't receive a reduced price offer, I can do without the service. It's not worth $99 a year to me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is the one service I haven't even given a thought of subscribing to.

Is there anything even worth watching on Paramount+?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mostly for Trekkies and old people who like to watch shows that originally aired on the CBS network. ;)
I watched a couple of movies on the service, but otherwise have only been using it to watch a few old TV series, such as Perry Mason. I got the service during an introductory offer for 50% off for one year. After a year, I have decided it's just not worth that full $99/year price for what I'm watching.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is the one service I haven't even given a thought of subscribing to.

Is there anything even worth watching on Paramount+?

Like my recommendations for all subscription services, I always suggest looking at the offerings and deciding if there’s something there of interest to you. If there’s something you like, subscribe, watch the thing, and then cancel when the thing you watch is no longer on. I am just not a fan of signing up for services first and then finding things on them to justify having a subscription. I know a lot of people tend to think in terms of “we’re a Netflix house” or “I just have to have HBO” but that approach doesn’t make sense to me when all of these services can be turned on or off with the touch of a button.

The flagship programming on P+ is new Star Trek shows. Their goal is to have one new episode of a Trek show each week, year round, and they’re pretty close to achieving that goal. If that appeals to you (it does for me), then it’s the service to have. If a variety of new Star Trek things isn’t your bag, I’m not sure they have enough other original content to justify a subscription. YMMV of course.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Like my recommendations for all subscription services, I always suggest looking at the offerings and deciding if there’s something there of interest to you. If there’s something you like, subscribe, watch the thing, and then cancel when the thing you watch is no longer on. I am just not a fan of signing up for services first and then finding things on them to justify having a subscription. I know a lot of people tend to think in terms of “we’re a Netflix house” or “I just have to have HBO” but that approach doesn’t make sense to me when all of these services can be turned on or off with the touch of a button.

While I generally agree with this approach, I decided to a take a different tactic with these new subscription offerings from Paramount and Disney. Each offered a substantial discount when they started up, so I decided to give them a try for that "discount period" to find out whether it was something I wanted to keep when the initial subscription expired. Paramount was only for one year, and I've decided it's not worth it for me to continue (I'm not a huge Star Trek fan). I have until November before my initial 3 year introductory Disney subscription expires. I have watched that a lot more than Paramount+, so I may keep it -- depending on the price. I may bundle it with ESPN+ for next hockey season, as that service replaced NHL.tv, which I used to subscribe to (I went without any NHL hockey subscription this season).

I get Peacock for free through Comcast, but have not watched anything on the service in many months. A big reason for that is the version I get for free has advertisements, which annoys me. Also, there's not much on that service I care to watch, either.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I canceled Paramount+, since I was also on the one yar half price deal, and it comes up next week.

On an aside, I went in to cancel my HBO Max, which I signed up at half price for 6 months and found it's been extended to a year. I can justify it at half price, but not full price. So, staying for another 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks