What's new

Paramount+ Paramount+ Streaming Service (Formerly CBS All Access) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I saw some similar stuff, though watching Blue Bloods. Plus, it sometimes takes as long as 20 seconds between commercials, which also have audio that's about 8 dB higher than the program, and look like they're streaming at about 240 lines of resolution with blocking all over the place.
When the commercials popped up, I didn't continue watching. We watched something on a different service instead. Sounds like it may be fixed now.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
The Brady Bunch is streaming on Paramount+. Any idea if these are the same sometimes-faulty prints used on the DVD releases? Some of those episodes had the "squares" missing at the end of act two, and a few had less-than-HD scenes inserted throughout.

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The Brady Bunch is streaming on Paramount+. Any idea if these are the same sometimes-faulty prints used on the DVD releases? Some of those episodes had the "squares" missing at the end of act two, and a few had less-than-HD scenes inserted throughout.
Probably, as they're only SD on Paramount+. For some reason they don't offer every episode and season 5 is missing altogether.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I recently decided to check out the offerings in the "movies" category on Paramount+ following reports that Paramount plans to add hundreds of titles during the summer months. Still a jumbled mix of theatrical films, made for tv films (numerous obscure titles from the 70s) and tv specials such as Comedy Central roasts. "The Abyss" is now available, and the PQ is atrocious---looks like a pan-and-scan VHS copy. While "The Abyss" has had a problematic home video history (BluRay? UHD?), an HD letterboxed version has been shown on HBO within the last few years.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I recently decided to check out the offerings in the "movies" category on Paramount+ following reports that Paramount plans to add hundreds of titles during the summer months. Still a jumbled mix of theatrical films, made for tv films (numerous obscure titles from the 70s) and tv specials such as Comedy Central roasts. "The Abyss" is now available, and the PQ is atrocious---looks like a pan-and-scan VHS copy. While "The Abyss" has had a problematic home video history (BluRay? UHD?), an HD letterboxed version has been shown on HBO within the last few years.
It's embarrassing that Paramount can't figure out what a movie is.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
"The Abyss" is now available, and the PQ is atrocious---looks like a pan-and-scan VHS copy. While "The Abyss" has had a problematic home video history (BluRay? UHD?), an HD letterboxed version has been shown on HBO within the last few years.
Sounds like the same transfer Amazon had as a Prime Video offering.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
"The Abyss" is now available, and the PQ is atrocious---looks like a pan-and-scan VHS copy. While "The Abyss" has had a problematic home video history (BluRay? UHD?), an HD letterboxed version has been shown on HBO within the last few years.
The HD version shown for a while during the launch of HBO Max looked pretty good.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As I noted over in the Streaming Frustrations thread, I am having a hard time getting A Quiet Place Part II to playback in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on Paramount+.

Tech support was able to explain partially why I can't get Dolby Atmos (apparently it is only supported on Apple TV 4K units at the moment, but the tech thought that the Roku Ultra was also supported, at least until I told him that I was using a Roku Ultra). They were not able to explain why I could not get it to play in 4K HDR on any of my 4K capable Roku and Fire TV devices, which do support 4K HDR. I can't even seem to get these devices to stream the movie in HD, as the image is so soft and littered with compression artifacts that it looks more like SD.

I fired up my Apple TV 4K, and the movie played flawlessly in 4K HDR and Atmos. Unfortunately, I did not have time now to actually sit down and watch the film!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As I noted over in the Streaming Frustrations thread, I am having a hard time getting A Quiet Place Part II to playback in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on Paramount+.

Tech support was able to explain partially why I can't get Dolby Atmos (apparently it is only supported on Apple TV 4K units at the moment, but the tech thought that the Roku Ultra was also supported, at least until I told him that I was using a Roku Ultra). They were not able to explain why I could not get it to play in 4K HDR on any of my 4K capable Roku and Fire TV devices, which do support 4K HDR. I can't even seem to get these devices to stream the movie in HD, as the image is so soft and littered with compression artifacts that it looks more like SD.

I fired up my Apple TV 4K, and the movie played flawlessly in 4K HDR and Atmos. Unfortunately, I did not have time now to actually sit down and watch the film!

That's strange they claim non-support for the Roku Ultra. I assume you told them other 4K HDR content on Paramount+ stream correctly as 4K HDR, right?

I haven't had access on my 4K setup in some time, so I can't verify now, but I had no problems doing 4K HDR via a few-yo Roku Premiere+ on previously branded CBS-All-Access (shortly before the rebranding)... and AFAIK, it was also sending Atmos... though I don't actually have Atmos speakers -- I do have a good, Atmos-capable Anthem prepro in the setup...

However, I did notice increasing problems w/ Roku software ever since the software updates made primarily for the HBO Max 4K launch late last year (leading into the premiere of WW84)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Seems like an odd move for them if they really want people to stay subscribed year-round... unless they're super confident anyone interested in Trek would just own the discs (and/or digital) I guess...

_Man_

The article stated that the AMC deal had been in place before the Paramount+ launch, so it sounds like it was a prior contractual obligation.

We’re seeing a lot of that on the current streaming landscape. NBC/Universal has streaming rights for Warner’s Harry Potter for a few more years. HBO Max has streaming rights to Fox new releases for a few more years. Starz has streaming rights for some Disney stuff for a while longer.

I’m reasonably sure we’re headed towards a future everyone will be fully vertically integrated and the studio that produces the film will also be the one that streams it. But we probably have a few years of existing contracts to get through before that’s fully a reality.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The article stated that the AMC deal had been in place before the Paramount+ launch, so it sounds like it was a prior contractual obligation.

We’re seeing a lot of that on the current streaming landscape. NBC/Universal has streaming rights for Warner’s Harry Potter for a few more years. HBO Max has streaming rights to Fox new releases for a few more years. Starz has streaming rights for some Disney stuff for a while longer.

I’m reasonably sure we’re headed towards a future everyone will be fully vertically integrated and the studio that produces the film will also be the one that streams it. But we probably have a few years of existing contracts to get through before that’s fully a reality.
There's also a lot of Paramount and Warner content on Hulu due to prior contracts, and Disney had to strike a deal with STARZ to get access to Star Wars: The Force Awakens when Disney+ launched.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If anyone wants to try Paramount Plus, new Paramount+ customers can try Paramount+ for free for one month by signing up today and applying the code PAWOFFER during checkout.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Watching S4 premier of Star Trek Discovery and the sound is anemic. Doesn’t seem to be in surround. I’m on my brand new AppleTV 4K. The receiver says “multi channel” or whatever — not Dolby Digital — so I guess it’s surround but it could be mono from five speakers for all I know.

I watched Dune in Atmos last week on same aTV, so it’s not my system specifically.

Any insights on the state of surround sound from P+ on an AppleTV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks