What's new

Paramount+ Paramount+ Streaming Service (Formerly CBS All Access) (2 Viewers)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Watching S4 premier of Star Trek Discovery and the sound is anemic. Doesn’t seem to be in surround. I’m on my brand new AppleTV 4K. The receiver says “multi channel” or whatever — not Dolby Digital — so I guess it’s surround but it could be mono from five speakers for all I know.

I watched Dune in Atmos last week on same aTV, so it’s not my system specifically.

Any insights on the state of surround sound from P+ on an AppleTV?
I watched on a Roku Ultra, had to manually select the DD+ 5.1 audio stream (:angry:), and wasn't all that impressed with the sound, either. Real surprised your ATV4K didn't have Atmos for this new season (that is the only device that Atmos is supported on currently, and only a handful of titles are available).

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched on a Roku Ultra, had to manually select the DD+ 5.1 audio stream (:angry:), and wasn't all that impressed with the sound, either. Real surprised your ATV4K didn't have Atmos for this new season (that is the only device that Atmos is supported on currently, and only a handful of titles are available).
Is Discovery in Dolby Atmos? I can’t find any info on Paramount+ on Discovery’s audio formats.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was curious about this sound question. When I watched the Star Trek Discovery season 4 premiere episode last night, I could hear some surround. I also had to turn the volume up to about 70. I’m watching via an ATV4K. HDMI from the ATV4K goes to my sound processor then to the display.

I also did a quick search and found a site that has a chart of all the TV and films on Paramount+ And what audio format as well as whether its Dolby Vision is available. As of November 2021, Star Trek Discovery and Picard is 5.1 audio and HDR.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
None of the 4K HDR/Dolby Vision content on Paramount+ will now playback on Roku 4K HDR/DV capable devices and TVs. Contacting customer support at Paramount+ remains a bit of a joke, as no one seems to be aware of the issue (despite TWO separate threads on the issue over on Roku's Community Support forum, many posters claiming to have contacted P+ and either receiving no response or troubleshooting steps that have nothing to do with the issue and eventually blaming Roku).

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
None of the 4K HDR/Dolby Vision content on Paramount+ will now playback on Roku 4K HDR/DV capable devices and TVs. Contacting customer support at Paramount+ remains a bit of a joke, as no one seems to be aware of the issue (despite TWO separate threads on the issue over on Roku's Community Support forum, many posters claiming to have contacted P+ and either receiving no response or troubleshooting steps that have nothing to do with the issue and eventually blaming Roku).
I'm not convinced companies actually test their software updates anymore. These kinds of things break all the time and it's maddening.

Oh and the Paramount+ app on my Android TV is currently not outputting Atmos from Paramount+, despite being indicated on the menu screen.

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
That’s because Atmos is only supported on Apple TV 4K and IOS devices.
Then shame on them for even showing "Atmos" on the menu screen in Android if they can't support it.

However, while "A Quiet Place 2" played in Atmos on my Apple TV, "Infinite" didn't, despite also saying "Atmos."

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This was Paramount+ Tech Support response after providing them with hardware equipment and software versions as requested:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the information you provided.

Your Roku Model is capable of receiving 4k and HDR10/HDR10/Dolby Vision. Can you please test some other shows that are marked as 4k only, or HDR only to see if this issue is occurring for one, or all of the video outputs. Content that is 4K, Dolby Vision and/or HDR10 enabled will be marked with badges on the show page. Note: Some movies will have premium formats, and this information will be included in the description box, so be sure to check it!

As a point of reference, 4Ks offers a resolution that is four times better than the conventional HD TVs.

4K and HDR both improve video quality, but not in the same way. HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, which is different than resolution. It is an enhanced picture quality technology that can display more life-like colors as well as higher brightness and contrast levels while playing HDR-compatible content.

HDR10 is the most common HDR format and is compulsory for Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. Dolby Vision is available on streamed content.

Thank you for your patience, we look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Alina

Paramount+ Customer Support
Why the need to talk down to me when I’m the one complaining that I can’t get HDR on their service anymore on my 4K HDR-capable Roku devices? And this was AFTER they provided instructions on how to enable/disable on the Roku TV I told them multiple times I do not own.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Following up to myself....

"Infinite" is indeed in Atmos on the Apple TV on Paramount+, but I had to switch the language in the menu from "English," which was the default, to "English (US)."

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
I attempted to cancel 3 different times today. Each time I got the “Oops something went wrong “ message. Are they trying to keep me from leaving?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I attempted to cancel 3 different times today. Each time I got the “Oops something went wrong “ message. Are they trying to keep me from leaving?
That is the new scheme that many streaming services are using now to make it more difficult for subscribers to leave - force the customer to call in to cancel. I encountered this with my trial of Fubo TV, and have been reading that many others are following suit.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That is the new scheme that many streaming services are using now to make it more difficult for subscribers to leave - force the customer to call in to cancel. I encountered this with my trial of Fubo TV, and have been reading that many others are following suit.

I wonder how many times they get someone calling to cancel, and when asked why, the customer says, "Because of shit like forcing me to call in order to cancel!"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve never had trouble canceling my CBS/P+ account and I’ve done it several times. That’s a bummer.

Normally I subscribe directly from the service to take advantage of discount coupons but the times I’ve done it through iTunes/AppleTV or as an Amazon Prime add-on have made canceling even easier than when doing it from the service.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that about year ago. I was subscribed to a handful of services. Some were very easy to cancel, and some were like pulling teeth to cancel (it took a half hour to ditch one of them). The piggyback services through Amazon Prime are simple but look out for others. That is the main reason I'm very skeptical for signing up to a new service. It is still a pain, and should be hassle free.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's not as easy as going to account settings on any streaming app and simply canceling?
Hell no. I can't even remember which one it was (BBC?), but I had to Google search the result to cancel, and I shook my head at how complicated and buried/hidden the cancelling tab was in. A joke.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's not as easy as going to account settings on any streaming app and simply canceling?

I don't know any streaming service that lets you cancel via the app itself, except maybe their Windoze app, if they actually have one, but not all of them have that nor would you necessarily normally use them.

Otherwise, they all seem to require you do it on their websites instead...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, I just checked trying to cancel my Paramount+ subscription via their Windoze app, and they offered me 50%-off the next 2 months to not cancel, so I just went w/ that instead...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks