What's new

Pre-Order Paramount Presents: To Catch A Thief (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
35mm extraction from VistaVision negative. Obviously there would be more image above and below the 35mm frame but, it was cut to give an idea to what should be shown on the screen. This is what was given out to exhibitors to promote VistaVision. I don't see any cropping on the sides.

View attachment 73378

VistaVision negative.
View attachment 73377
Cropping on the right side.
35mm-comparison.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Again, that's what was handed out. Might not be actual.

Below is from widescreenmuseum.com. It's supposed to be from a 35mm strip of film from The Ten Commandments.
vv-tencommandments-r.jpg

Below is from the Blu-ray. Sorry, I couldn't get the exact frame
IMG_1002.JPG

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Harris would know better about cropping on VistaVision films. He worked on the restoration of Vertigo.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Were VistaVision Technicolor YCMs full-size and made by contact or optically? Or were they automatically reduced to 4 perf; or did that happen when they made the matrices?

be happy to answer, but not understanding your question.

Unaware of any dye transfer 8 perf release prints made domestically. I seem to recall one produced of an Italian production by Tech Rome. YCM masters were 8 perF. Matrices were always optically printed, and in the case of Vista were 4 perf reductions.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
be happy to answer, but not understanding your question.

Unaware of any dye transfer 8 perf release prints made domestically. I seem to recall one produced of an Italian production by Tech Rome. YCM masters were 8 perF. Matrices were always optically printed, and in the case of Vista were 4 perf reductions.
Thank you. I know I didn't express myself well at all. But you've answered me anyway!
I was mostly curious whether the YCM masters were made exactly the same size as the 8 perf VV camera negatives. I was wondering if Paramount had to blow up a 4 perf Y master to compensate for the VV negative's fading, but you've indicated that the YCMs made for VV were 8 perf. :emoji_no_mouth:

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Uncorrected, unrestored OCN scan:

View attachment 73385

Proper crop: C & M Negative dye layers + Y sep master

View attachment 73386
Thanks for posting these. It is very helpful to see the fine layer of grain that is visible just about everywhere in the frame in order to understand what is missing from certain other titles.

I shudder to think what would happen to it if certain people at Paramount would be put in charge of preparing a UHD release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for posting these. It is very helpful to see the fine layer of grain that is visible just about everywhere in the frame in order to understand what is missing from certain other titles.

I shudder to think what would happen to it if certain people at Paramount would be put in charge of preparing a UHD release.

In motion, that grain virtually disappears. With no help from grain reduction software, or digital cleansing.

It simply does what moving film grain has always done.

All by its own self.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I just finished watching TO CATCH A THIEF for the very first time....anywhere.

I watched the digital copy available on iTunes

I must say, it is an absolutely gorgeous transfer. One of the best I have seen. The color really pops in this film.

I can't imagine how Paramount could possibly improve upon this transfer.

I would have been happy if this were the same transfer used on their new Blu-ray release.

However, apparently, it looks worse than the older digital version.

Great film. I'm not a big Hitchcock fan all around, but I really liked this film. Grace Kelly is as stunning as the transfer itself!

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So, I just finished watching TO CATCH A THIEF for the very first time....anywhere.

I must say, it is an absolutely gorgeous transfer. One of the best I have seen. The Technicolor really pops in this film.

I can't imagine how Paramount could possibly improve upon this transfer.

I would have been happy if this were the same transfer used on their new Blu-ray release.

However, apparently, it looks worse than the older digital version.

Great film. I'm not a big Hitchcock fan all around, but I really liked this film. Grace Kelly is as stunning as the transfer itself!

it’s one of my favorites. I love how good the film looks on the original Blu ray. It’s not his best film but it’s a film that I come back to often.

I picked up the iTunes version for $5 as well.

Cart Grant, Grace Kelly and all of the cast are fantastic. Love Monte Carlo setting. I love the helicopter shots of the cars during the early getaway too.

Glad you finally saw it!
Will it put you into a Hitchcock run of watching more of his films?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
it’s one of my favorites. I love how good the film looks on the original Blu ray. It’s not his best film but it’s a film that I come back to often.

Cart Grant, Grace Kelly and all of the cast are fantastic. Love Monte Carlo setting. I love the helicopter shots of the cars during the early getaway too.

Glad you finally saw it!
Will it put you into a Hitchcock run of watching more of his films?

I have watched quite a few Hitchcock films. Some I really like, others I think just move too slow for me.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

I must say, it is an absolutely gorgeous transfer. One of the best I have seen. The Technicolor really pops in this film.

I love how good the film looks on the original Blu ray. ...

Be sure to download this iTunes version to your hard drives. Most likely iTunes will eventually "upgrade" this is the latest abysmal transfer. If they do, without the download, you won't be able to watch this version on iTunes anymore.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I was going to get this on the Amazon Paramount sale but it seems to be very much disliked! And the 2012 bluray is now more than twice as expensive! Word has really gotten around.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I own both and while the 2012 release is the one I mostly watch and show friends, the recent edition has good colour. Hopefully the folks at Paramount will make a good job of a 4k, it can't come soon enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks