What's new

Pre-Order Paramount Presents! The Court Jester (1955) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
court.png

Newly Restored and Remastered, Madcap Musical Starring Danny Kaye Celebrates Its 65th Anniversary

image003.jpg

Latest Addition to the Paramount Presents Line Arrives on Blu-ray™ for the First Time January 26, 2021

The hilariously zany classic THE COURT JESTER celebrates its 65th anniversary with a brand-new Blu-ray in the Paramount Presents line, debuting January 26, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Originally released in 1956, THE COURT JESTER was shot in Paramount’s trademark “VistaVision” widescreen format, capturing a grander scope of information on the film negative. For this new restoration, the original negative was scanned at 6K and one of the “separation masters” was also scanned and recombined with the negative scans to address color fading in the negative. The result is an incredibly vibrant picture that faithfully captures the colors and textures of Edith Head’s sensational costumes and Hal Pariera’s sparkling art direction.

Danny Kaye earned a Golden Globe® nomination for Best Actor – Comedy or Musical for his leading role in this comic farce, which was added to the National Film Registry in 2004 and included on the AFI’s list of the 100 Funniest American Movies of All Time.

The limited-edition Paramount Presents Blu-ray Disc™ is presented in collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster, and an interior spread with key movie moments. THE COURT JESTER Blu-ray also includes a new Filmmaker Focus with film historian Leonard Maltin, access to a Digital copy of the film, and the theatrical trailer.

Synopsis

Kaye is kind-hearted entertainer Hawkins who disguises himself as the legendary king of jesters, Giacomo. Hawkins infiltrates the court of an evil villain (Basil Rathbone), but when a sorceress hypnotizes him, royal chaos ensues. Alternating identities at the snap of a finger, between swordplay and wordplay, Kaye’s comic genius shines through. The stellar supporting cast includes Glynis Johns, Angela Lansbury, Mildred Natwick, Cecil Parker, and John Carradine.

About Paramount Presents

This collectible line spans celebrated classics to film-lover favorites, each from the studio’s renowned library. Every Paramount Presents release features never-before-seen bonus content and exclusive collectible packaging. Additional titles available in the Paramount Presents collection on Blu-ray include: Fatal Attraction, King Creole, To Catch a Thief, Flashdance, Days of Thunder, Pretty In Pink, Airplane!, Ghost, Roman Holiday, The Haunting, The Golden Child and Trading Places.

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

Paramount Presents: THE COURT JESTER

Street Date: January 26, 2021

U.S. Rating: Not Rated

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
FINALLY. :D

I knew Paramount was getting back on the horse, with their Paramount Presents line, after sitting out most of the 10's Digital Debacle--and knew that Court Jester was on their "Paramount Classics" rotation along with the Elvis musicals and Cary Grant wartime-Pacific comedies--I just didn't expect to retire my DVD so soon...

(Now, will someone please say they've never seen this movie, so we can all have the fun of discussing it?)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Criterion Channel (and later Amazon prime) had the new restoration and it looks jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Really happy to be finally retiring so many Paramount DVDs lately.

I first saw the new restoration on The Criterion Channel and you are correct: it is jaw-droppingly beautiful!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I'll raise my hand and say I've never seen it! Looking forward to picking this up and fixing that!

Warning, this is such the perfect Danny Kaye movie, it may actually spoil you for other Kaye movies--
The Samuel Goldwyn ones never quite knew what to do with him, and put him in poor characters where he wasn't allowed to do his thing except for a few obligatory scenes of his nightclub songs, like in "Kid From Brooklyn" and "Secret Life of Walter Mitty". Most people only know "Hans Christian Andersen", where he's downright morose except for the songs.

This one was one of his off-Goldwyn collaborations with his songwriter/partner Sylvia Fine, and she knew exactly what he could do. It's one of the few times Danny could cut completely loose as the Jim Carrey of the 50's.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Criterion Channel had a spotlight on Kaye's films that consisted mainly of his Goldwyn features plus this, but I found Wonder Man, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and A Song is Born to be incredibly fun.

I never saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. What studio has it, is it available?

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a Goldwyn film, which places it with Warner. I don’t much about its availability aside from the fact that it’s not on Blu-ray.

Wonderful news! Whenever I’m feeling down I put on “the pellet with the poison...”. Whoever thought up that was a genius. Good song score too, especially “The Maladjusted Jester”.
Glynis Johns is also terrific as is Basil Rathbone, perfect in his Sheriff of Nottingham-type role.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Ordered. I also hope Paramount will release CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT, one of the last really great Bob Hope comedies. With a great cast including Basil Rathbone, John Carradine, Lon Chaney, Jr., Raymond Burr and Joan Fontaine. The Technicolor DVD looks gorgeous and it would really pop on Blu-ray.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From the Amazon order page:

Synopsis:
Celebrating its 65th Anniversary, Paramount’s beloved madcap musical debuts on Blu-ray, beautifully remastered from a 6K film transfer of the original VistaVision negative. In this swashbuckling comic farce, star Danny Kaye is kind-hearted entertainer Hawkins who disguises himself as the legendary king of jesters, Giacomo. Hawkins infiltrates the court of an evil villain (Basil Rathbone), but when a sorceress hypnotizes him, royal chaos ensues. Alternating identities at the snap of a finger, between swordplay and wordplay, Kaye’s comic genius shines through. The stellar supporting cast includes Glynis Johns, Angela Lansbury, Mildred Natwick, Cecil Parker, and John Carradine.
Special Features:
  • NEW Filmmaker Focus: Leonard Maltin on The Court Jester HD
  • Theatrical Trailer
Spoiler Alert The Pellet With The Poison

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ordered. I also hope Paramount will release CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT, one of the last really great Bob Hope comedies. With a great cast including Basil Rathbone, John Carradine, Lon Chaney, Jr., Raymond Burr and Joan Fontaine. The Technicolor DVD looks gorgeous and it would really pop on Blu-ray.

Don't forget Audrey Dalton, a beauty who should have been a star, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks