What's new

Paradigm speaker suggestions? (1 Viewer)

SethOakley

Agent
I recently purchased some new speakers and I am debating on what speakers I should purchase to complete the 7.1 system. I currently have these speakers and receiver

Denon 2803
Paradigm Monitor 7 Fronts
Paradigm CC 370
Paradigm PW 2200

I am considering purchasing 4 Paradigm Mini Monitors to complete the setup. Would this be a good setup, or am I going to regret not getting the ADP speakers for my side surround. I'm not completely sold on the dipole speakers, but then again, I'm not that intelligent.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Well I would say intelligence has nothing to do with it ;) .

Do you have a chance to demo both sets to see which you might prefer?

Paradigm ADP's are Adapted Di-Polar, where the top end is dipolar (for spaciousness) and the bottom end is bipolar (reducing bass cancellation).

I cannot see benefit in direct radiating side surrounds in 7.1, however, I run a 5.1 system only with Dipole rears.

In my case listening to DVD-A source material, the rear sound has a tendency to wash out a bit. For HT applications I find it much better with the Dipoles.

SethOakley

Agent
I was under the impression that in a 7.1 system, your sides should be dipole, and then have direct radiating speakers for your back surrounds. What about using the mini monitors for surrounds on a 5.1 system until I can afford the ADP 370's for the side surrounds on the 7.1 system? Then it would be

Monitor 7 Fronts
CC 370 Center
PW 2200

ADP 370 SS
Mini Monitor RS

Or even better, how about a suggestion for what speakers I should get to complete this system. I'm not set on mini monitors for surrounds, especially if it won't work well together.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd go with 4 Minis. Actually, I had 5s and a 370 up front, with Titans as rears, and it worked quite well. Timbre was not a problem at all, even with MC SACDs.

It is recommended that one use bi/di for sides, but this really depends on your room. If you don't have a large room, with proper seating position relative to all the rears/sides, you probably could go either way, in which case I'd say go with Minis (less expensive, and I prefer monopoles). Again, if you don't have a large room that is capable of proper seating position, you probably don't even need 7.1.

Minis or ADPs are your best match for these speakers.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - I think it's more of a cost point here. There's not too much information sent to the rear channels anyways so you might even consider getting Monitor 9s or 11s and move the 7s to rear duty.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say between minis and ADPs, though the adps are not insignificantly more expensive.

Though i wouldn't really upgrade to 9s or 11s, IMO you should move up to the reference series for that kind of cash, but it doesnt sound like that was your question anywho.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have only a 5.1 system, but I am using the exact speaker/sub combination you have with the Mini-Monitors for surround. I like the combination.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Seth:
I'm kind of in the same general migration mode, and went through this same wondering this summer. First things first, so a truth-in-advertising admission - I'm a bottom-dwelling scum sucker (and kind of proud of it ;-). Never hit the lottery, etc. yet I probably have champagne tastes (on a beer budget). To me, that means I've been migrating to Paradigm.

I already had MiniMonitors for the rears when I stumbled on such a 7.1 rcvr deal & couldn't pass. Then I got the 7.1 speaker bug (gosh!), read the Paradigm paper on surrounds, went to audition and was told in no uncertain terms that I "shouldn't want DiPolars, you want direct radiators". Problem is, beer budget doesn't = SACD (yet ;-) & family monopolizes w/ mostly HT use. I decided to not decide and just live w/ what I had (& pay tuition) when Studio ADPs fell out of the sky (well, relatively - at a beer budget price). I've been listening to that setup since August (Minis still in back as SB, ADPs as SS).

You know what? If you have to pay the going price for ADPs, Beer Budget Boy here says go Minis. If you can dig up a deal, the ADPs are quite decent. Are they better for SACD and/or worth the price? Well, maybe I'll answer that one as soon as the ink dries on the next tuition check...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks