What's new

Dedicated amp for music with 7.1 setup (1 Viewer)

Rhinosus

Auditioning
Real Name
Artur
I am looking for advice on the 7.1 setup I currently have. Receiver Yamaha RX-A2000, Front- Paradigm Studio 60v2 Center - Paradigm Studio, Sub -Paradigm PS Series and 4 Paradigm Cinema for surround. Aside from watching movies I like to listen to various kinds of music from Classical to Rock. I feel like the receiver is unable to get enough out of the Studio 60v2 when listening to music. Would I benefit from getting dedicated power amplifier from the stand point of quality when I listen to music? If yes what would you suggest for good power amp without breaking the bank. I love the sound of vintage amps but I am not sure if there are any with enough power to drive my front speakers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're expecting something radically different from an external amp, that's not necessarily what you'll get. Did you run the receiver's room correction? Because my understanding is that Yamaha's isn't very good, and could be part of the problem. Are you using the sub with music?

Having said that, you can definitely get a benefit from more and better power, and your receiver has the pre-outs needed. Do you have a budget?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I love the sound of vintage amps but I am not sure if there are any with enough power to drive my front speakers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think might mean that you like the non-flat characteristics of older or tube amplifiers. If so, you might want to look into a digital equalizer that will let ”un-equalize” and recreate the sound of vintage amps with your modern system.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think might mean that you like the non-flat characteristics of older or tube amplifiers. If so, you might want to look into a digital equalizer that will let ”un-equalize” and recreate the sound of vintage amps with your modern system.
True. The excessively warm sound that you might be referring to is something that manufacturers have generally gotten away from, in favor of more resolving and accurate reproduction.

Rhinosus

Auditioning
Real Name
Artur
Yesterday I was playing around with the correction and speaker placement. Running with and without sub. I may have a problem not easily resolved with another piece of equipment. Room acoustics a rather poor considering I do not have a dedicated movie theater room. I may have to look into changing the placement of my setup first. I also dusted off my old Kenwood Power Amp circa 1989 or 1990(completely forgot I had it). I brought it with me from Europe and it was in storage for the last 10 years. I recall it has a decent power, RMS 150 watt per channel. I can give it a shot. If this is not the answer I will be looking for something within $400 - 500 range.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yesterday I was playing around with the correction and speaker placement. Running with and without sub. I may have a problem not easily resolved with another piece of equipment. Room acoustics a rather poor considering I do not have a dedicated movie theater room. I may have to look into changing the placement of my setup first. I also dusted off my old Kenwood Power Amp circa 1989 or 1990(completely forgot I had it). I brought it with me from Europe and it was in storage for the last 10 years. I recall it has a decent power, RMS 150 watt per channel. I can give it a shot. If this is not the answer I will be looking for something within $400 - 500 range.
Just a thought, when playing music, turn off all EQ and correction. There's probably something like a "Direct" or "Pure" mode. See if a straight signal makes a difference.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can you use the Yamaha as a pre-amp, to drive the surrounds and have your other amps drive the fronts? If you actually don’t have enough power for the speakers, and are clipping, that could solve it.

Rhinosus

Auditioning
Real Name
Artur
I use direct option often, I like the clean sound it produces especially for classical music. When it comes to the power amp running front speakers, that is exactly what I was thinking about.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The specs for your Yamaha RX-A2000 are not very forthcoming regarding its true output power capability, stating only theoretical values of 130 WPC. At best you can assume this is for 2 channels driven and would dip to realistic values of around 60 WPC in a 7.1 configuration.

Meanwhile your speakers have a recommended power range of 15 - 200 Watts and about average stated sensitivity. Given all of this, I would say there is a good chance the receiver is clipping input signals at higher volumes, which you do not want.

I believe a dedicated power amp would serve you well but you may have to increase your budget a little to get something you'd be happy with. Amps are a great component to consider buying used as they typically last for many years. That might be a good way to go here.

Rhinosus

Auditioning
Real Name
Artur
Thank you for all of the responses. What would you suggest for an amp. I don't mind purchasing pre-owned as long as it is a decent one and capable to do the job right?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I believe the below model would be an excellent match for your needs. At a minimum it serves as a good example of the savings available in the used market. This amp retailed for about $1000.00 and you can probably get this asking price lowered a bit if the seller is motivated. Of course your location will obviously factor into whether or not this particular amp would make sense for you.

Rhinosus

Auditioning
Real Name
Artur
Alternatively I can get Two Outlaw Model 200 for under $400 for both. These are within driving distance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For new, look at the Parasound 2125 and Emotiva A-300.

For $400, the a-300 is a good deal.

Last edited:

Rhinosus

Auditioning
Real Name
Artur
I have been reading about bi-wire and bi-amp but I am not sure I understand it all to answer the next question I have. Most bi-amping info is about running each amp in a stereo mode. If I have two identical power amps, both have A/B speaker eight posts on each amp and the amp is bridgeable. If I run them in the mono bridged mode, and have hi/low frequency posts on my speakers, could I ran channel A cables to to HF posts and channel B to LF posts. Would I then connect left input to one amp and right input to the second amp. And another part about the power itself. 2 Channel amp with A/B input selector rated at RMS 50w per channel at 8ohm and RMS 150w bridged. Is that rating for each A and B or combined? Not sure if I haven't read enough or maybe too much as I am lost in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks