What's new

Paradigm ADP placement; on floor? (1 Viewer)

JonathanOh

Agent
Hi,

Skipping the long story about how I am forced to consider this option (hint: wife), I am looking for advice on surround speaker placement.

I have Studio20s v3 and a center, I think 470, for the fronts.

For surrounds...

a)
I can either use regular speakers (Paradigm Atoms in my case); placed near the floor but facing up (will have to build stands for them).

b)
get ADPs and put them on the floor or short stands, with the left surround one's null facing the back of the couch and the right one's facing my right shoulder.

c)
get ADPs and put them on the floor with the nulls facing the ceiling.

I realize none of these options is very good but am interested in feedback on them. Does anyone else out there put ADPs or other di/bi poles below the listening position?

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
Stands seems to be the best setup for the adps and Atoms, try to raise them up a bit if you can maybe 6-12" above head so that everyone can get clear line of sight above other heads. It will not sound right any other way. If the floor is the only choice then sell adps and use atoms upward firing.
Or better yet don't even bother with rears. Just run a tv and build your own room/office the way you want it.

JonathanOh

Agent
Thanks for the response! I will experiment with the Atoms. I posted the same question over in the AVS forum and got the same feedback.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ADPs can be used on stands if you have walls on both sides, in similar proximity to the listener. If you do not have fairly equal reflecting surfaces for the ADPs, you may get odd results. ADPs on the floor is not a great idea.

I'd experiment with various placement of the Atoms first. There is no reason the Atoms on stands at ear level would be a problem, just dont point them directly at the listener. That is how I have had my surrounds for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks