What's new

Paradigm 60 vs 100 (1 Viewer)

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
Other than the bass end,do you find that the Paradigm 100s sound any different than the 60s? Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RicP

Screenwriter
Yes. By a long shot.
The 100's are the Flagship speaker -- top of the line. They are the best speaker that Paradigm produces and they sound incredible. The 60's -- even the 80's -- really aren't any match for the Studio 100's.
However, they are power hungry, so if you do decide to get them, be sure and get an amplifier that is at least 200wpc or Bi-amp them with 2 amps of at least 100wpc. The 100's sound great, but they reach another level entirely when you feed them enough power.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I find the difference to only be in the base extension. This is based on demoing the entire Studio line for a couple hours total on two separate ocassions. I could have missed something though.

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed one difference listed in the specs is that the crossovers between the 60s & 100s occur at different frequencies. Can anyone explain how this might impact the sound?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i haven't listened to them both in comparison a lot, but to me, the 100's just sounded far more open and revealing than the 60's. i'm assuming this is because the 100's are a true three-way speaker, while the 60's are a two and a half. and probably the difference in crossover points that joe mentioned.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
I've owned both.

There is no comparison...period!

As mentioned above, the 100's are far better with bass extension(as you'd expect), but due to their 3-way design, midrange is MUCH smoother and sound is far more revealing and open. To me, the 60's always sounded strained in the mids. With the 100's, sound is smooth from top to bottom and soundstage is far superior to the 60's.

FWIW. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

-Paul

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Joe, it looked to me like you got some good feedback. What else are you looking for?

BTW, if you are going to buy or already have a nice subwoofer, you might consider the 40s or 60s instead of the 100s--especially if you don't have a high-power amp to drive the 100s.

--Steve

Adil M

Supporting Actor
What's the difference if you set them both too small?

You think the 100's will still have a smoother mid-range then?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
What's the difference if you set them both too small?

You think the 100's will still have a smoother mid-range then?

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Yes, they would.

How much better the 100's would sound would depend on where your crossover is set. For 80hz and below, you bet the 100's would out-gun the 60's.

Your mileage may vary.

-PG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks