What's new

New speakers. Dynaudio vs Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Have lived with a set of Polk Audio for about 20 years and now is the time for a change. Live in a small city and can only audition a very limited no. of speakers so I would like opinions and suggestions. Will be purchasing used.
Equiptment:
Denon 2802
Bryston 3bst amplifier (front L/R)
Arcam Alpha 8SE cd player
Sony DVD
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V2 Front mains (Only in system about a week)
Paradigm Surrounds
Velodyne Sub
Have been considering getting the Studio 40's, 60's, or 100's for the front and using the 20's for surround but after a lot of reading I am not so sure. Found a deal on a pair of Dynaudio Audience 72's and did a bit of research. These seem to be great speakers but I cannot audition them.
We use our system about 70/30 h/t to music. H/T sound is important but really when we listen to music the sound is much more important than with h/t.
Music ranges from rock to jazz to country. Most important to is a natural accurate reproduction of the sound. Clean, clear, and crisp with a nice soundstage that leads to a "being there" feeling.
Would really appreciate opinions and comparisons from those who have auditioned both brands.
Thanks
Steve

Steve_D

Second Unit
You are going to not like my answer:

You have to audition the Dynaudio before you buy! Not because I think you will like them better, but because their sound is so different from the Paradigms. I think due to the soft dome tweeters.

For me, my Studio 100v2 (Wood) are possibly my favorite speaker of all time for a mixed main L/R usage. I upgraded 20's to 40's to 100's and recompared the competition at each jump. Again, for me, the Dynaudios do not have the "being there" feeling, rather a laid back smooth quality. However, many people with high end systems prefer that sound and call what I prefer "harsh". My point, again, you have to listen since IMHO these 2 brands are almost at polar opposites in terms of traditional speakers.

I've auditioned Dynaudio extensively up through the Evidence. I've bought Paradigm for 15 years, excepting the ACI's I ended up regretting due to their Dynaudio-like sound.

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Like your answer a lot. Just what I was hoping for.
You have auditioned both and gave some insight into the differences in sound. I, like you, enjoy the bright clear highs that paradigm offers.
Can you offer any mainstream speakers that give a Dynaudio type sound? Speakers offered around here:
Phase Technology
B&W
Energy
Paradigm
There is also the collection at circuit city though I do not expect to find much there.

Steve_D

Second Unit
OK, well I meant you won't like the part about auditioning Dynaudios since that is not possible for you.

B&W's upper lines with the Nautilus (metal) tweeters are my second favorite line of speakers. Energy also has metal tweeters although imho more laid back than Paradigm or B&W. I would not compare either to the Dynaudio sound.

Your best bet may be the Phase Techs with their soft dome tweeters, although since I've never auditioned them I can't comment on how close to Dynaudio they sound.

Metal v Soft tweeters is a vast oversimplification of course, but one that I've found gets me in the ballpark.

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again Steve.
Have to admit you were right about not liking the part about auditioning but I was expecting it.
Appreciate your input and will do some demoing of the phase tech. The store here has some very knowledgable and honest people. They will surely help.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks