What's new

Panasonic RP91 w/iScan pro? (1 Viewer)

Sam S

Auditioning
Anybody tried this combo? Would it be worth the potential softening of the picture to get outstanding de-interlacing on all types of DVD images?

JohanK

Second Unit
I'm a vidiot but why would one use a iScan on a progressive DVD player?
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Sam S

Auditioning
Yeah, I now see the obvious dumbness to my initial question, but here's something to clarify:
1) The panasonic model does not have the chroma problem (unlike the Denon 2800 and so many others).
2) Using the RP91 (in interlaced mode) with the iScan Pro would provide good deinterlacing with film sources, but also with video-based DVDs and incorrectly flagged material.
BTW, I really hate jaggies and combing!!

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
It might be simpler to just get one of the cheaper non-progressive Pannys.
Steve
------------------
Link Removed

Sam S

Auditioning
Good point, Steve.
The think I like about the RP91 is the scaling feature and the good video dacs.
Can any owners of the RP91 tell me if they've noticed many interlacing artifacts/jaggies and how often?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Sam,
the problem with that idea is that the '91 only scales in progressive mode, not interlaced (or so it has been reported here, I don't have one to try myself). if it did scale in interlaced mode I'd have to seriously consider one :)
-Matt

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Sam, you might want to hold out for the Phillips Q50 player - it will have the Faroudja FLI2200 chip. It will also have scaling abilities, probably similar too the RP91s'.
It isn't known what mpeg2 decoder the player will use yet though. However it is known that the FLI220 chip resamples and enhances the color information after mpeg2 decoding, and the result essentially eliminates the chroma bug. This was pointed out by the hometheaterhifi folks in the Skyworth Player, which has the chroma bug.
Alternatively, if you want to spend more and want DVD-A, the new Kenwood Sovereign series DVD players will be released next month - both of which use a Panasonic Mpeg2 decoder and the FLI2200 chip.

Sam S

Auditioning
That Kenwood model sounds like a great piece. I've never considered the Kenwood at top-notch DVD player company, but if they're using the panny mpeg decoder and Faroudja chip, how wrong could I go?

George Fogel

Agent
Darryl,
The Phillips Q50 looks very appealing...but the Phillips site says nothing about release date or MSRP. And I can't find any information from the on-line vendors I've checked so far. Do you happen to know when/how much?
Thanks for any info...
George
------------------

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
The Phillips Q50 looks very appealing...but the Phillips site says nothing about release date or MSRP. And I can't find any information from the on-line vendors I've checked so far. Do you happen to know when/how much?
Thanks for any info...
George
George, unfortunately, I haven't really been able to find anything on a release date for the Q50 in the U.S. Initially, I thought it was supposed to be released either the end of this year, or the beginning of 2002, but now I keep seeing messages of folks on other forums looking for it within a few weeks. I do know the MSRP is supposed to in the $500 range though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks