What's new

Panasonic or SONY for interlaced output? (1 Viewer)

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hi Folks. I have a Panny RP62 and I'm pretty happy but I was wondering--I can get a good deal on the SONY NS715P. Does the SONY have a better interlaced picture? I have a SONY Wega 27" TV and use component connections. Audio is not an important factor for me--I have a dedicated CD player so...which has the better INTERLACED output--the Panny or the SONY? Thanks :)

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't think any minor differences would be worth the price. Have you calibrated the RP62 using one of the setup discs like AVIA? If not, you would be better off purchasing that setup disc and calibrating what you have, IMO.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hi Charles. Yes-I have calibrated using Video Essentials.Basically what I'm wondering is which of these 2 particular players has better PQ for interlaced output because I can get the SONY for the same price as the RP62.Thanks Charles.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The sony has a better downconversion but that shouldn't matter if you are using the 16x9 squeeze mode and your DVD player is set to output 16x9. As far as interlaced ouput goes, I don't know.

Rick Sullivan

Auditioning
Excerpt from the Cnet review of the Sony 715:

"When we switched to interlaced mode, however, we noticed that brightness increased, and, even worse, the player introduced edge enhancement into the image. Even with the Samsung's sharpness set to zero, we saw rings around the lines in test patterns. We used the player's custom setup slot to eliminate the ringing, but it shouldn't be there in the first place."

The 715 I purchased came with the edge enhancement set to off by default. Block noise reduction is also off by default. I find the picture to be of a very high quality and am very happy with it in that respect.
Rick

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Thanks everybody for your responses :)

It seems to me as long as you can turn off the edge enhancement and block noise settings it really should be no big deal. Actually,I once tried the Toshiba 3800 and that also has an edge enhancement setting--sort of the same thing as a scan velocity modulation setting available on some TV's--again which is no big deal as long as it can be defeated.

I don't know what my problem is--I seem OBSESSED with the idea of trying out the SONY 715-In spite of the fact that the Panasonic RP62 picture looks PHENOMENAL on my Wega TV-especially when using the vertical squeeze!!

Thanks again!

Kevin L K

Second Unit
__________________________________________________ _________

Excerpt from the Cnet review of the Sony 715:

"When we switched to interlaced mode, however, we noticed that brightness increased, and, even worse, the player introduced edge enhancement into the image. Even with the Samsung's sharpness set to zero, we saw rings around the lines in test patterns. We used the player's custom setup slot to eliminate the ringing, but it shouldn't be there in the first place."
__________________________________________________ _________

Rick--is there a way to turn off the edge enhancement & the block noise settings--and by that I mean are they settings that can just be toggled on or off regardless of what preset is being used? In other words, are these settings automatically part of all of their different presets ( Video Equalization, Video enhancer, and what have you ), and the only way to get rid of the enhancement & block noise is to use the one slot that allows you to customize the picture settings?

Rick Sullivan

Auditioning
Kevin
Edge enhancement and block noise are controled by a readily accessible menu. In fact everything about the 715 is controled by a readily accessible menu. As I stated the default is no edge enhancement and no block noise which is where I have left it.
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks