My S-35 Panasonic progressive scan DVD player isn't putting out a 480p picture!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by kurt_fire, Jun 17, 2004.

1. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

Okay, today I got my new Sony 51" RPTV. I have my S-35 connected straight to my TV via some leftover component cables I have from my Xbox hi-def pack.

Okay, I've been reading around and supposedly when the Sony is receiving a 480p picture you cannot mess around with the DRC modes (progessive, interlaced, cinemotion).

but when I play a dvd i can still change the DRC modes, meaning that the TV is not locked into playing the 480p picture.

now i have went into my DVD players setup and enabled both 16:9 and progressive scan. but it's not outputting 480p!!!

how can I fix this, do you think it could possibly be the xbox cables?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Are there more than one component video inputs on the TV? On some, one set is HD and the second is not.

Cables are cables, as long as they are 75Ohm for video, they will have no bearing on progressive or not.

You are correct, DRC should not work when receiving a progressive signal.

3. kurt_fire

51" 16:9 Hi-Scan® Projection Television
    KP-51WS510 ----that's my TV

i'm thinking my sony 510 has 3 hd inputs = 1 DVI and 2 component.

4. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

In order for the player to output a 480p image, you need to go to the set-up menu and select "progressive" to "enable". Once that's done, pop in a disc and press "display". Go to picture mode, or whatever it's called, until you see "480i". Highlight that and switch it to 480p.

Both of these steps need to be performed in order to get a progressive-scan image.

5. kurt_fire

andre, thanks for the help. i never knew i could cycle through those on-screen options, thanks man!!

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes the Panasonic models require you to enable progressive 480p mode in 2 different places!