Convert Sony DVP-S7700 to progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by jim_mckenna, Dec 1, 2004.

1. jim_mckenna

jim_mckenna Auditioning

Nov 30, 2004
    Has anyone out there tried this? I really like my Sony 7700, and both Cinematrix with their PSM1 and MSB Technologies claim that they can modify 7700's to output progressive scan pictures with their internal scalers?? My questions are:
    a) is it worth it to do on the 7700? is this still so good a base platform that it makes sense to upgrade rather than replace it?
    b) will the picture quality be as good as is found on current "reference" players (i.e. is it future-proof for the time being?

The strange thing is that I bought a Panasonic RP82 and had it hooked up to my plasma about a year back because I thought I needed progressive scan. I couldn't tell any difference between the 7700 interlaced picture and the RP82 progressive picture so I got rid of the RP82 brand new used once. Will it even be worth it to go progressive?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Jim McKenna
  2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dec 8, 1998
    As much as I loved my 7700 its now an old machine and not worth investing what it would take to make it progressive. You'd be better off buying a new progressive scan player or one that upconverts to HD depending on what your plasma does. As for the interlaced vs progressive it depends again on your TV...some do a very good job scaling the image that you likely aren't going to notice much difference in which case I'd just keep the 7700 until it dies esp. since its the best sounding DVD player I've owned for playing back CD's