What's new

Panasonic DVD-S47 (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
This player says that it will decode Dolby and DTS 2 channel. I'm wondering what exactly this means. Is this taking the 5.1 encoding and remixing it for just two channels? Is it just placing all the 5.1 info in two channels? Is this only for Dobly 2.0 (never heard of DTS 2.0)?

matt-f

Second Unit
I think that's referring to down mixing for people who don't have full 5.1 systems. This would be useful such as myself until I get other speakers to complete my HT system.

You can change it not to do that if you have the full system.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
If you downmix what exactly do you lose though? Would I be better off just using the stereo mix instead? Has anyone done a side by side? I want to know because I can only have a two channel setup for the time being, but if I could get Dolby, especially Dolby 2.0 on the discs that have it then I would go for it.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I think what this player would do is like any other dvd player that doesn't have a full set of 5.1 analog (RCA) outputs: it does cram all 5.1 Dolby and DTS channels into two channels. This isn't exactly my favorite thing to do because balance and channel levels that are used for a surround mix are definitely not the same for a stereo mix of the same music. This is why many dvd-audios cause a dvd-audio player to display "NO DOWNMIX" when it first begins playing.

If the disc has a true stereo option (very few don't nowadays), whether it's a Dolby 2.0 track or the stereo hi-res mix, I would reccomend using that instead.

LJ

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Yes, and it's exactly what every other DVD player has been doing from day one. It doesn't have 5.1 analog outputs, so it downmixes to (Pro-Logic compatible) stero.

The digital audio output will present the full 5.1 bitsteam.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Ok sweet. I can just use my current Panasonic RV31K then. I will have a 2 channel setup for awhile and wanted the best sound quality I could get, glad I asked here before I went ahead and purchased it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks