I need a DVD player that can shrink an image

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ira_W, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Ira_W

Ira_W Auditioning

Hi,

I'm looking for a DVD player (under $200) that can slightly shrink the projected image of movies. I'm using a DIY projector (800 X 600) with a fixed focal length lens, and the image exceeds the width of my screen. I can't move the projector closer to the screen else it would interfere with viewing angles. I have been using a home theater PC running Zoomplayer software to shrink the image, but I'm tired of the hassle of supporting another computer - I'd like a nice easy solution - a DVD player with negative zoom.

I've checked out the owner's manuals of most DVD players and many have an incremental zoom to increase the image size, but no one seems to reduce the image size.

The Panasonic S47 or S55 players have an option to shrink certain images, but I'm not sure if it can shrink the size of movies.

Any suggestions? DVD-A support would be an added benefit.

Thx

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

My 3 year old JVC XV-S65GD (gold exterior) allows for shrinking and zooming the image (though the shrinking is 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and it zooms 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x and higher). There's also similar units XV-S60BK (black exterior) and XV-S62SL(silver exterior).

You could probably find one of these players on Ebay or other electronics buy/sell places.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My cheapo APEX DVD player shrinks it too, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 i believe.

4. Ira_W

Ira_W Auditioning

Thanks for the info. Let me clarify a bit. I'm looking for an image shrinkage of about 15% to 20%. There are lots of players with a positive incremental zoom, are there any with a negative incremental zoom?

Ira

5. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Ira

Here is what you need, the Jaton PSD-7611k with X-Y scaling. It has incremental zoom to eliminate overscan. Available here:

http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm

I have a Malata N996 that does the same thing, but the Malata is no longer available. The Malata could zoom in or out in very small increments.

The bad news is it's over your budget by $100. But if you do a google search you can probably find one closer to $240.