Panasonic dvd player problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DonnyD, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've began to notice a lot of pixelation and audio dropouts on my panasonic s47 dvd player. At first I thought it was the backup media but found the same media would play without problems on my computer and other Toshiba dvd player. Anyone else had any problems with playback on the Panys?

Edited to correct spelling!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You might consider cleaning the Panasonic player.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

How old is the player ?.....I'm assuming it's fairly new, does it happen only with backed up DVD's ? or does it happen with new releases also ?

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

This player is a little less than a year old and it only happens on backups ... and then not on all of them. Also doesn't happen in the same spots all the time.... it's kinda random.
    How do you go about cleaning the player?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't think it's the player, it's probably the media, or rather the player has a problem with certain media. Most players will have certain types of blanks they do not like. Try another media and see if the problem goes away.

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yeah, I thought at first it was the media as I just got into a new batch of TDK and none of them were good. I went back to Verbatim and still have the problem but still only on the Panny. The Tosh is still playing everything.

Man this has been the pits of a day.... crawling in behind the system to change out wires trying to troubleshoot! We actually had to move my son's Toshiba player to the main system to watch our movie on the HDTV!

Thanks for everyones help..... My oldest son is out of town right now and he's usually my GURU when it comes to puter stuff. I'll post results when we get it figured out.

7. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The player is sensitive to writing errors on the disk. Some players are better readers than others. I just purchased a DVD player about three weeks ago and the main criteria was it had to play everything (I've backed up all my family events on DVD -/+ R) and I needed a good player for that purpose. It's the JVC xvn-510

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Well, it appears that I've found and treated the problem. I've always used 4x dvd+r media and recently bought some of the newer 8x media. Even though my burner is a 8X model, there is a problem with burning some 8x media and requires a firmware upgrade. Been doing ok since.

Having a sale on the coasters that I have been making in the past week.

Thanks for everyones input.

9. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Donny

I probably recommend to just burn at a lower speed because you'll get a deeper burn which will make it easier for the player to read.

matt