What's new

PAL to NTSC question (1 Viewer)

Moe*A

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say I have spent my whole life watching PAL broadcasts and now am buying NTSC versions of my favourite shows, DS9, B5, Stargate, Buffy and honestly have to say that I can not hear any difference in sound. I have even set my player and TV to NTSC for these discs and it still doesn’t make a difference. I would be very surprised if there was a large number of people able to detect this.

Roger_R

Second Unit
Well, you can't hear a difference just by watching a DVD, because you don't have have anything to compare it to.

I ripped some of the sound from Twin Peaks episode 1 (from my region 2 set) and transcoded it from 25fps to 23.976fps which is the speed NTSC uses.
I put up both versions on my server:
home.broadpark.no/~rholten/NTSC.ogg
home.broadpark.no/~rholten/PAL.ogg

The PS2 (atleast the PAL version) sends out the picture in PAL or NTSC depending on the game/DVD. I noticed this because I used to have it hooked up to an older TV that couldn't display NTSC correctly.
There's also something called PAL 60Hz, I know some consoles can use it to prevent slowdowns in games when converted from NTSC to PAL (it's not a typo, games are slowed down while moves are sped up). It allows for 30fps, but with the resolution of PAL.

Moe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Games are only slowed down if it is a sloppy conversation, if optimised for PAL they can be the same speed. This used to be almost non existence even as recently as five years ago but now days (especially on the Xbox) games have the resolution of PAL and speed of the NTSC version, although I would imagine that there is still a tiny difference in speed.

And for games that are not optimised there is usually a 60hz mode.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Regarding PAL speedup, you guys do know most commercial radio stations speed up their music by 2-5%? They do this so that they can fit more adverts in.

Has anyone ever noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks