What's new

Along Came Jones & Casanova Brown on Blu-ray December 5th. (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ClassicFlix releasing some Gary Cooper films.

Along Came Jones (Blu-Ray)
(1945)

Actors: Loretta Young, William Demarest, Dan Duryea, Gary Cooper, Frank Sully, Don Costello, Walter Sande, Russell Simpson, Arthur Loft, Willard Robertson, (more)
Director: Stuart Heisler
Genre: Romantic Western, Western Comedy, Western, Westerns, Romantic Comedy, Romantic, Romance, Comedy
Label: ClassicFlix
Year: 1945
Length: 90 minutes
Released: December 05, 2017
Format: Blu-Ray
Misc: Full Screen, NTSC, Black & White
Language: English (Subtitled), English (Original Language)
Synopsis
“Bronc stomper” Melody Jones rides into the sleepy little hamlet of Paynesville, with his saddle pal George, where the good townsfolk have mistaken Melody for another man with the initials “M.J.” The gentleman in question is “Monte Jarrad,” a bad hombre with a $1,000 price on his head for a recent stagecoach robbery. Unaware of the peril brought about by their presumed identities, Melody and George get a little help from Cherry De Longpre who’s eager to get them out of town ahead of an anxious posse.

Cherry’s motives aren’t entirely pure, however, as she hopes her scheme will ensure the successful escape of her wounded boyfriend -- none other than the Monte Jarrad himself. But Melody becomes wise to Cherry’s plotting and uses the situation to his advantage by trying to capture Jarrad, gain the reward and fame, all the while trying to escape the long arm of the law.

An actor who always rode tall in the saddle, Gary Cooper spoofs his laconic cowpoke image in Along Came Jones, playing an unconventional cowboy who can’t even shoot straight! Loretta Young co-stars as Cherry, with William Demarest as Coop’s loyal sidekick and Dan Duryea as the villainous Jarrad.

Based on the 1943 novel The Useless Cowboy by Alan Le May, Jones has great fun with the conventional movie Western, bolstered by an amusing script courtesy of Nunnally Johnson (who wrote Cooper’s previous Casanova Brown). Directed by Stuart Heisler (The Glass Key), this sprightly comedy-western was the only time the Oscar® winning Cooper added “producer” to his lengthy list of classic movie credits.

Casanova Brown (Blu-Ray)
(1944)

Actors: Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright, Frank Morgan, Anita Louise, Edmund Breon, Patricia Collinge, Jill Esmond, Mary Treen, Halliwell Hobbes
Director: Sam Wood
Genre: Comedy
Label: ClassicFlix
Year: 1944
Length: 94 minutes
Released: December 05, 2017
Format: Blu-Ray
Misc: Black & White, NTSC
Language: English (Subtitled), English (Original Language)
Synopsis
It’s spring in Rossmore, Illinois, and Professor Casanova Q. Brown returns to his hometown anxious to tie the knot with his sweetheart Madge Ferris. But Cass is in a “strange situation” and seems much more nervous than a first-time groom ought to be.

Then, on the eve of their wedding, Cass receives a letter from a nearby maternity hospital he first suspects is an advertisement, but upon investigation, proves to be much more.

Gary Cooper brings the comic sensibilities he displayed in such films as Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and Ball of Fire toCasanova Brown, a wacky romantic comedy that reunites him with his The Pride of the Yankees leading lady, Teresa Wright. It’s old home week for Teresa as well; Patricia Collinge, who played her mother in Shadow of a Doubt, repeats that function here along with a splendid supporting cast that includes a scene-stealing Frank Morgan (as Coop’s would-be father-in-law), Anita Louise, Edmund Breon, Mary Treen and Emory Parnell.

Directed by Sam Wood (who made four films with star Cooper, including Yankees and For Whom the Bell Tolls), Casanova Brown boasts a hilarious script co-authored by Nunnally Johnson and by none other than character actor Thomas Mitchell! It’s truly an old-fashioned kind of comedy—irresistible fun that will make you laugh and cry.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Both are definite purchases for me.

I'm especially glad to see Casanova Brown. This one is great, but doesn't seem to be as loved as I feel it should be (And I believe was a box office disappointment after Pride of the Yankees was such a hit). So I wasn't too optimistic of being able to buy this one on Blu-Ray.

Now if they'd just release Pride of the Yankees, I'd have all my Teresa Wright favorites on Blu-Ray (Mrs. Miniver, Shadow of a Doubt, Casanova Brown, The Best Years of Our Lives, and Pride of the Yankees stand above the rest of her filmography for me; I wasn't too crazy about The Little Foxes and none of her later films reach the heights of her 1940's work).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These titles pushed back to January 23rd, 2018? That's the release date Amazon is now showing for it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Now if they'd just release Pride of the Yankees, I'd have all my Teresa Wright favorites on Blu-Ray (Mrs. Miniver, Shadow of a Doubt, Casanova Brown, The Best Years of Our Lives, and Pride of the Yankees stand above the rest of her filmography for me; I wasn't too crazy about The Little Foxes and none of her later films reach the heights of her 1940's work).

What about Pursued? No enthusiasm for that film? Robert Mitchum; Raoul Walsh; James Wong Howe?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd also like Pursued and the two Ray Milland films from her 1940's output (And she has several underrated films from the 1950's that I'm fond of). I just don't love them quite as much as the others.

Other than The Little Foxes which is a classic but is one I don't see rewatching much, the only one from her 1940's career that I'm not interested in having on Blu-Ray is the last one that she did for Samuel Goldwyn. I had trouble getting through Enchantment on TCM a few years ago, which is rare for me for a 1940's film.

Perhaps I just wasn't in a good mood that day, so I'll have to give it another try someday. I certainly like her, David Niven, and most of Samuel Goldwyn's work. So it's likely worth giving a second chance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks