What's new

Ozzie & Harriet (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ozzie was a definite genius - but seriously lacking in the legal end amazing that his copyright notice was this "Copyright Ozzie Nelson" makes you wonder were they really copyrighted.
Firstly, without the copyright symbol, the little c in the circle, its not valid. Secondly, just putting a copyright notification on a film doesn't copyright it. A print or tape of each episode must be sent to the Library of Congress and registered. Copyright protections keep getting extended and changed (Thank you, Sonny Bono) but its still a law that anything produced prior to January 1, 1964, had to be registered within 28 years of publication, and if not, the property would enter public domain in the 29th year.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not true that they had to go to Ozzie. 16mm prints of episodes flooded the film collectors' market back in the 60s and 70s. If I'm not mistaken, David Nelson himself used to sell prints. Where do you think all of these PD episodes that you see originated from? They are all from excess film prints that the Nelsons sold to film collectors.

I was referring specifically to the time period when the episodes first ran. It didn’t matter if a copyright in 1952 wasn’t perfectly executed because there would have been no practical way for the average viewer to exploit that.

Obviously the advent of home video and subsequent platforms that make recording and copying practical and assessable to the average person changes the whole equation.

But in the 1950s, there wasn’t a practical way for most people to record shows off the air, and prints in the hands of collectors were not easily duplicated and shared the way VHS tapes, DVDs and digital copies can be shared now.

I’m sorry if I caused any confusion in my earlier post.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Firstly, without the copyright symbol, the little c in the circle, its not valid. Secondly, just putting a copyright notification on a film doesn't copyright it. A print or tape of each episode must be sent to the Library of Congress and registered. Copyright protections keep getting extended and changed (Thank you, Sonny Bono) but its still a law that anything produced prior to January 1, 1964, had to be registered within 28 years of publication, and if not, the property would enter public domain in the 29th year.
Had to changing Copyright laws to make Disney happy - what a scam

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Not true that they had to go to Ozzie. 16mm prints of episodes flooded the film collectors' market back in the 60s and 70s. If I'm not mistaken, David Nelson himself used to sell prints. Where do you think all of these PD episodes that you see originated from? They are all from excess film prints that the Nelsons sold to film collectors.
Just to clarify, the family did not sell any prints directly to collectors. There was an initial sale of prints to Blackhawk Films who in turn sold them thru their mail order catalog. Many years later David sold multiple prints of most episodes to Gaines 16 Film Company in order to reduce storage fees and Gaines started selling the prints thru their catalog.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
As of today, the promotional code, save10, is working for me. It takes off 10% bringing the price down from $199 to $179. I think that is their usual year-round discount code. Hopefully, there will be better deals on or after Thanksgiving.
I received this email tonight. It will be interesting to see what kind of discounts will be offered tomorrow. I watched a full 30-minute advertisement for The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet Deluxe Edition 50-episode edition. At the very end it barked "if you order in the next 3 minutes you'll receive a bonus disc containing Christmas shows and I forget what else. There wasn't a single mention of the 100-episode edition.

After browsing the TimeLife website, I'd say their name should be changed to LifeTime because you could spend a lifetime paying off their CLASSIC TV releases.

BlackFriday_2021_getready_640x500.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Time-Life has *never* been known for having truly "good" sales/offers/prices. In my experience with them (going back to CD collections in the 90s) they're 50%-100% higher than the closest competitor's price, consider it a "sale" if you can get something for 15-20% off (still over what others would have set as MSRP) and *clearance* titles at what *should* be the "normal" MSRP.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Time-Life has *never* been known for having truly "good" sales/offers/prices. In my experience with them (going back to CD collections in the 90s) they're 50%-100% higher than the closest competitor's price, consider it a "sale" if you can get something for 15-20% off (still over what others would have set as MSRP) and *clearance* titles at what *should* be the "normal" MSRP.
I just unsubscribed after receiving another email informing me ...

BlackFriday_2021_almostover_640x500.jpg

I'm sure they'll be concerned. :)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I watched a full 30-minute advertisement for The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet Deluxe Edition 50-episode edition. At the very end it barked "if you order in the next 3 minutes you'll receive a bonus disc containing Christmas shows and I forget what else. There wasn't a single mention of the 100-episode edition.
Better to wait until all seasons have been released. BTW, I posted in the other O&H thread that TimeLife would probably pull something sneaky like a Christmas DVD, and they did! I'm sure there are a lot of members here who already purchased the set that would've liked the bonus Christmas disc. I think they did something similar with other sets in the past.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Better to wait until all seasons have been released. BTW, I posted in the other O&H thread that TimeLife would probably pull something sneaky like a Christmas DVD, and they did! I'm sure there are a lot of members here who already purchased the set that would've liked the bonus Christmas disc. I think they did something similar with other sets in the past.
Do we know for sure that the bonus disc is Ozzie and Harriet Christmas episodes? I think the ad is referencing the Christmas reunion movie, which was not very good and was the bonus disc that I also received when I ordered the set a couple of months back.

Gary “that’s my guess” O.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Do we know for sure that the bonus disc is Ozzie and Harriet Christmas episodes? I think the ad is referencing the Christmas reunion movie, which was not very good and was the bonus disc that I also received when I ordered the set a couple of months back.

Gary “that’s my guess” O.
Thanks guys. Gary I thought that might be the case. Just a sales pitch perhaps?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Here's that TimeLife O&H commercial live streaming at this moment on BiNGEtv, formerly FOLKtv. Interesting channel begun by Neil Ardman (I think) who founded Retro TV, which was the very first of all the retro channels well before METV and the many others. Note their schedule with nightly binges featuring Ozzie & Harriet and The Real McCoys and The Red Skelton Hour among others. I love it. Picture quality is like watching a broadcast directly from an old VHS deck. :)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Here's that TimeLife O&H commercial live streaming at this moment on BiNGEtv, formerly FOLKtv. Interesting channel begun by Neil Ardman (I think) who founded Retro TV, which was the very first of all the retro channels well before METV and the many others. Note their schedule with nightly binges featuring Ozzie & Harriet and The Real McCoys and The Red Skelton Hour among others. I love it. Picture quality is like watching a broadcast directly from an old VHS deck. :)

Which means its better quality than RTV was!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Apparently, this is the 1st listing on eBay of the 50-episode package from Time-Life, even though the seller was too dang lazy to tell us anything about it. I divided 30 min. into the total running minutes listed on the box and it came out to be 50. Without commercials you should divide by 25 min. and then it would come out to 60 episodes. So, this makes me wonder if commercials are throughout each episode (or) someone got the total running time wrong. If commercials are the reason, I hope they put all of them after the ending credits. I hate having to watch commercials during the episode - that's why I pay good money for commercial-free DVDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144342957820?hash=item219b82befc:g:w1AAAOSw9hJhxRr~

As you can see, it's being listed for 20% off of T-L's MSRP, making it $10.00 less than T-L's best price with their discount code. But, the seller says "or Best Offer" which means you should be able to easily get it for $65.00 - $70.00.

For those who don't want to wait for the season-by-season MPI release, this would be the cheapest I've seen the 50-episode package. I'm going to wait for the season sets because I just hate it when companies release "Best Of's" of a really good series! Note also that MPI's logo is on the T-L package if anybody wants to speculate about that!

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Apparently, this is the 1st listing on eBay of the 50-episode package from Time-Life, even though the seller was too dang lazy to tell us anything about it. I divided 30 min. into the total running minutes listed on the box and it came out to be 50. Without commercials you should divide by 25 min. and then it would come out to 60 episodes. So, this makes me wonder if commercials are throughout each episode (or) someone got the total running time wrong. If commercials are the reason, I hope they put all of them after the ending credits. I hate having to watch commercials during the episode - that's why I pay good money for commercial-free DVDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144342957820?hash=item219b82befc:g:w1AAAOSw9hJhxRr~

As you can see, it's being listed for 20% off of T-L's MSRP, making it $10.00 less than T-L's best price with their discount code. But, the seller says "or Best Offer" which means you should be able to easily get it for $65.00 - $70.00.

For those who don't want to wait for the season-by-season MPI release, this would be the cheapest I've seen the 50-episode package. I'm going to wait for the season sets because I just hate it when companies release "Best Of's" of a really good series! Note also that MPI's logo is on the T-L package if anybody wants to speculate about that!

Merry Christmas, y'all.
I am hoping that the O&H entire collection will have many of the original commercials. The Time Life 100 episodes have commercial intros and outros on many of the episodes, but I haven't seen any during the halfway break of any episodes. On the collection I bought a few years ago from an Ebay dealer, many of the episodes do have all the commercials. That is why I might hold on to those discs. I enjoy seeing all those vintage commercials. It makes it even more fun to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks