What's new

Ozzie & Harriet (1 Viewer)

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I am hoping that the O&H entire collection will have many of the original commercials. The Time Life 100 episodes have commercial intros and outros on many of the episodes, but I haven't seen any during the halfway break of any episodes. On the collection I bought a few years ago from an Ebay dealer, many of the episodes do have all the commercials. That is why I might hold on to those discs. I enjoy seeing all those vintage commercials. It makes it even more fun to watch.
The first O&H DVD set I ever bought, years ago, was the 100-episode "Essential Collection". I said above that I hate "Best Of's" for a show that I really like, and I do really like O&H. But, since I hadn't seen a lot of these episodes in decades, I wanted to make sure I still liked the series as much as I remembered. Therefore, I broke down and bought the "E. C." 'best of', which actually wasn't so much a 'best of' as it was a "what ever's available in the public domain".

Anyway, I liked it even more than I had remembered. As I started watching this set, the first time I saw the commercials, I did pretty much like them. By the time I got about 1/3 of the way through the set, the commercials were barely amusing and by the halfway point they'd become just as annoying as most of your typical, current day commercials! If I have to accept commercials on DVDs, I'd only want them to be grouped together and inserted at the very end of each episode and that means - even after the ending credits. That way, I could totally avoid them if I wanted to.....which I would 99% of the time.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The first O&H DVD set I ever bought, years ago, was the 100-episode "Essential Collection". I said above that I hate "Best Of's" for a show that I really like, and I do really like O&H. But, since I hadn't seen a lot of these episodes in decades, I wanted to make sure I still liked the series as much as I remembered. Therefore, I broke down and bought the "E. C." 'best of', which actually wasn't so much a 'best of' as it was a "what ever's available in the public domain".

Anyway, I liked it even more than I had remembered. As I started watching this set, the first time I saw the commercials, I did pretty much like them. By the time I got about 1/3 of the way through the set, the commercials were barely amusing and by the halfway point they'd become just as annoying as most of your typical, current day commercials! If I have to accept commercials on DVDs, I'd only want them to be grouped together and inserted at the very end of each episode and that means - even after the ending credits. That way, I could totally avoid them if I wanted to.....which I would 99% of the time.
Yes. I guess that makes sense. Well we'll see how the set is compiled once it comes out. So many are looking forward to this. Thanks for the input.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
...As I started watching this set, the first time I saw the commercials, I did pretty much like them. By the time I got about 1/3 of the way through the set, the commercials were barely amusing and by the halfway point they'd become just as annoying as most of your typical, current day commercials! If I have to accept commercials on DVDs, I'd only want them to be grouped together and inserted at the very end of each episode and that means - even after the ending credits. That way, I could totally avoid them if I wanted to.....which I would 99% of the time.
Same here.

If they do include them within the episode, at least make them a separate chapter so they can be easily skipped, w/o having to FF the device you are viewing them on.
I thought they were way cool on the PD O&H Beta & VHS tapes back in the eighties.
Now...they just take up precious binge-watching time.
Add up the commercials from seven or so shows, and that's another full episode I could have watched!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Same here.

If they do include them within the episode, at least make them a separate chapter so they can be easily skipped, w/o having to FF the device you are viewing them on.
I thought they were way cool on the PD O&H Beta & VHS tapes back in the eighties.
Now...they just take up precious binge-watching time.
Add up the commercials from seven or so shows, and that's another full episode I could have watched!
Good idea with making them separate chapters. That way everyone has a choice whether to watch them or not.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Commercials should *always* be inserted via seamless branching. With that method the end user simply selects from a menu which version to watch. It's much less intrusive than having to hit skip on a remote when a commercial comes up.

That would be my choice as well.

Does that method work for all the episodes on each disc (a one time per disc option, each time the disc is inserted), or does it have to be employed for each individual episode?
I have hunch it's the former, not the latter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That would be my choice as well.

Does that method work for all the episodes on each disc (a one time per disc option, each time the disc is inserted), or does it have to be employed for each individual episode?
I have hunch it's the former, not the latter.
For the few shows I own that have such an option, it's on an episode by episode selection. I guess it's *possible* it can be done on all episodes at once but I never use a "Play All" function on any series (and get annoyed on those which "Play All" no matter *what* you've selected) so really couldn't say if that option is present.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Commercials should *always* be inserted via seamless branching. With that method the end user simply selects from a menu which version to watch. It's much less intrusive than having to hit skip on a remote when a commercial comes up.
I'm thinking that would work with Blu-ray, but probably not with the DVD format.

For the few shows I own that have such an option, it's on an episode by episode selection. I guess it's *possible* it can be done on all episodes at once but I never use a "Play All" function on any series (and get annoyed on those which "Play All" no matter *what* you've selected) so really couldn't say if that option is present.
This seems pretty iffy to me, especially in the DVD format! Chapter stops are probably the most viable option for DVD, in the event commercials and bumpers are included in each episode!

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm thinking that would work with Blu-ray, but probably not with the DVD format.

This seems pretty iffy to me, especially in the DVD format! Chapter stops are probably the most viable option for DVD, in the event commercials and bumpers are included in each episode!

CHEERS! :)
Seamless branching works just fine on DVD. That's typically how you get a "Theatrical" and "Extended" version of a movie on the same side of a disc.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Apparently, this is the 1st listing on eBay of the 50-episode package from Time-Life, even though the seller was too dang lazy to tell us anything about it. I divided 30 min. into the total running minutes listed on the box and it came out to be 50. Without commercials you should divide by 25 min. and then it would come out to 60 episodes. So, this makes me wonder if commercials are throughout each episode (or) someone got the total running time wrong. If commercials are the reason, I hope they put all of them after the ending credits. I hate having to watch commercials during the episode - that's why I pay good money for commercial-free DVDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144342957820?hash=item219b82befc:g:w1AAAOSw9hJhxRr~

As you can see, it's being listed for 20% off of T-L's MSRP, making it $10.00 less than T-L's best price with their discount code. But, the seller says "or Best Offer" which means you should be able to easily get it for $65.00 - $70.00.

For those who don't want to wait for the season-by-season MPI release, this would be the cheapest I've seen the 50-episode package. I'm going to wait for the season sets because I just hate it when companies release "Best Of's" of a really good series! Note also that MPI's logo is on the T-L package if anybody wants to speculate about that!

Merry Christmas, y'all.
I ended up winning it, so thanks jetskier for posting the ebay link!
I debated about buying it, so I put it on my watch list. A few days later, the seller sent me an offer, so I counteroffered, and they accepted my offer, so I got it for $65 after shipping and taxes, which is cheaper than buying it through TimeLife.
Looking forward to it. I own the old Millcreek 100-episode set, and I've really enjoyed watching it through the years so I know I'll enjoy this set, too, plus it comes with a bonus disc of extras.
I'm currently finishing up a re-watch of all my old Hazel season sets, and I'm going to need something "new" to watch when I finish it.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I debated about buying it, so I put it on my watch list. A few days later, the seller sent me an offer, so I counteroffered, and they accepted my offer, so I got it for $65 after shipping and taxes, which is cheaper than buying it through TimeLife.
Looking forward to it. I own the old Millcreek 100-episode set, and I've really enjoyed watching it through the years so I know I'll enjoy this set, too, plus it comes with a bonus disc of extras.
I'm currently finishing up a re-watch of all my old Hazel season sets, and I'm going to need something "new" to watch when I finish it.

You're welcome, Ron and good for you! You got a good deal and I was hoping someone on this board would take advantage of it.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Good for you Ron. You put one over on LifeTime of payments @ TimeLife!!
icon_e_applause.gif
icon_e_wink&grin.gif

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I just realized after I posted, that Hazel's Don Defore (aka Mr. B) was also Thorny on Ozzie & Harriet, so maybe I was getting a subliminal urge to watch Ozzie and Harriet again?!?

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I just realized after I posted, that Hazel's Don Defore (aka Mr. B) was also Thorny on Ozzie & Harriet.....
And he was just great as Thorny! I thoroughly enjoyed the dialog the writers created for him and Ozzie. I was so disappointed when he was no longer on the show. I guess he left in order to do Hazel.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I was so disappointed when he was no longer on the show. I guess he left in order to do Hazel.
How dare he!!!
He was certainly my favorite friend of Ozzie's.

Since he had to bail, it would have been nice to have him do an occasional guest shot, although I don't know if that was done back then or even if the other studio would allow such a thing.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
How dare he!!!
He was certainly my favorite friend of Ozzie's.

Since he had to bail, it would have been nice to have him do an occasional guest shot, although I don't know if that was done back then or even if the other studio would allow such a thing.
I always wondered why Thorny's wife Katherine (or is it spelled Catherine?) was mentioned on the show, but never appeared. Why didn't they find an actress to play her? The son Will Thornberry appeared in at least in a couple episodes, but never her.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I always wondered why Thorny's wife Katherine (or is it spelled Catherine?) was mentioned on the show, but never appeared. Why didn't they find an actress to play her? The son Will Thornberry appeared in at least in a couple episodes, but never her.
She was hanging out with Gladys Porter from December Bride.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks