What's new

Outlaw 950, by the end of the month... I can feel it! Who still wants it? (1 Viewer)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Andy,
yes you will need a separate amplifier. The Outlaw is a good amp and you can also look at Anthem, B&K, Rotel and others for reasonably priced excellent performing amps.
Hopefully this week, we will receive order notification from Outlaw regarding the 950 (about 10 days prior to shipping the processor as stated), therefore by the end of January, some of us may have our units. I'm counting on this now, since i have nothing to hold me over in the interim. Making some Jon Risch 89259 CC speaker cables to keep me busy in the meantime ;)

J

John Morris

Ron: It was my understanding that they had a fully functional 950 running wonderfully at CES. If that is true, then that means that they have fixed the software problems. If that is true, then it should only be a matter of weeks before you have one of these units since the first run of hardware is already completed and all that is left is loading the new software onto those units and then shipping them. Of course, if that was a beta unit at CES, then you may have to add another week to the wait.

Oh, and, the AVS thread actually says that the 950 AND the 770 will not be available till Feb. So, this statement is correct since it has already been previously reported that the 770 would not be out till Feb

W

Will

I've heard rumors and suggestions from the press, but nothing official from the Outlaws. Perhaps I missed it. Did an Outlaw say the model shown at CES was a production 950? Did an Outlaw say it was fully functional or the same as a production 950 including final software/firmware? If it had final software/firmware, I suspect the Outlaws would announce that it was. Incidentally I also didn't hear, in so many words, that the exterior shown at CES was the same as the final production 950 exterior.
I would be absolutely delighted if I'm wrong and the Outlaws really did display a production 950 at CES. :)

J

John Morris

Will: It has already been reported that the Outlaw setup, which included the 950 and 770, was in operation at the Outlaw booth using the JP3 DVD as demo material. Since I wasn't there however, I cannot confirm nor deny if the 950 was a beta or final unit. Guess, we're all gonna have to continue to wait until at least tomorrow the 14th.

W

Will

The DSP software problems noted in the last Outlaw newsletter probably means the DSP software in the Model 950 at CES was not the final version.

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Charles:
IT would seem to be à propos to just change that to the New England Patriots winning the SuperBowl
:b:b

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Like I said Robert......LOL...BoSOX winning the World Series was more appropriate. Otherwise the 950 is about 24 hours late AGAIN.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It looks as though New England has turned the corner thanks to the Patriots! The 950 can't be far behind, followed by the 770. Good things happen in threes, right?
;)
I sure hope that people here have already pre-ordered their 950's like I have, since I'm predicting that this product, which I trust is not too far from release, will be a revolutionary, not evolutionary product at its price point. And when it does eventually come out the demand will exceeed the supply for a considerable time.
Mark my words.

W

Will

Some customers might buy the 950 pre/pro as soon as it ships, out of fear "the demand will exceed the supply for a considerable time." There is an alternative: They can wait a few months (until maybe June) and choose between *three* pre/pro's that street under $1500. By then, some of these pre/pro's should be reviewed by someone besides the manufacturer.

We've *all* waited a long time. Some of us have waited so long we'll buy the 950 just as soon as it becomes available. But others who have waited, just as long, may be fine waiting a few more months. Just to be sure they get what they want. Because in a few months, the 950 should be reviewed, and other pre/pro's in a similar or slightly higher price will be available to consider.

The 950 will (probably) be the first sub $1500 (street) pre/pro with DPL II. But two others should be out soon afterwards: The new Rotel pre/pro, and the Atlantic Technology pre/pro. The later pre/pro may or may not be an exact twin of the 950 on the inside. Hopefully before long we'll know if it's an exact twin on the inside, or just similar on the inside.

J

John Morris

Some customers might buy the 950 pre/pro as soon as it ships, out of fear "the demand will exceed the supply for a considerable time." There is an alternative: They can wait a few months and choose between *three* pre/pro's that street under $1500. By then, some of these pre/pro's should be reviewed by someone besides the manufacturer.
This is true, but, IMO, anyone that can afford to consider a $1500 pre/pro would be smart to buy the $900 Outlaw when it is available and then review it for themselves. If they don't like it, they can return it and only be out $20 for return shipping. I'd be willing to bet $20 on the 950 versus a savings of $600 anyday. Plus as one who has gone pre/pro less for a few months, I want my 950 ASAP.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'd rather wait and check out reviews of the three pre/pros in the $1500 and under range. After all is said and done $1500 will be more like $1200 after discounts. I don't mind paying an extra $300. I also have the luxury of time because I have my receiver will hold me over, so I'm not in a hurry. I know some of you guys have already sold you old gear and have been gearless for a long time. I guess it's just a matter of how bad you need a new unit.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
only said:
Don't worry. I'm sure the wait is almost over and we'll be able to run the 950 through its paces sooner than you think. Fingers crossed.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I personaly don't put big emphasis on reviews be positive or negative.I wanna make up my own mind and moneyback garantee,is just what I need to do my own testing.
All the positive reviews won't change my mind on a product,if I don't like it on the first place.
I'm on the first batch on the 950 so we'll see!;)

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I have to say, I got my e-mail confirmation at 10:02. Word got to me that I'm not even one of the top 10. I won't divulge how I know this so don't ask. I hope you do get 1 or 2 John Morris. After I ordered my SVS16+(still waiting patiently for) I noticed some with a 2 or 3 serial number. I had hoped I was at least in the top 10. When did everyone else get their e-mail confirmation? What time?

W

Will

I'm sure the wait is almost over and we'll be able to run the 950 through its paces sooner than you think.

As you can probably imagine, I've heard that before. I've heard the wait's almost over for this pre/pro many times, since long before this particular thread started.

But hope sprints eternal. One day, soon I hope, the wait will be over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks