Outlaw 950, by the end of the month... I can feel it! Who still wants it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Jan 11, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I want serial number one! and probably two too![​IMG]

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

LOL. I'll take #3. I have only been waiting since Spring, not as long as you. I sold my old gear and had to get an interim receiver, so I'm not impatient at all. They'll ship in their own good time, and everyone will be happy. [​IMG] Anticipation is half the fun. We'll have to find something new to obsess on pretty soon. Actually that's a good idea for a new thread. Any takers.?
    Russ

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    damn i want one; i'm on the list. it all depends on if i have an extra $900 lying around when i get that email. riiiight...

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i vote for obsessing over the vaporware outlaw dvd player. let's see, i bet it'll play cd, cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-video, dvd-audio, sacd, mp3, dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd-ram, dvd+r, and dvd+rw! i bet it will have also incorporate a firewire input, be compatible with hd-dvd, and tuck you in at night. it will have 24 bit/1000 mhz processor for video. it will have the adc/dac configuration that will make it sound as good as anything theta, krell, classe...can put out! and of course, it will be available at an introductory price of $399!!!! i'm already on the imaginary waiting list!

kevin t

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Naw, we need to give Outlaw a break. Those poor guys will have to check into the nut house soon if we don't.

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

7. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

I personally have nothing to hold me off, i'm waiting for this prepro! I have many new toys (amps, speakers, cables, Theatertek DVD player for my HTPC) so my 7.1 system is complete - the processor. For me, the sooner the better before i admit myself to the nut house :b

8. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

John,

Wow, I didn't know that SVS never missed their first stated availability date! Outlaw is the exact opposite.

Razvan

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I just hope the promised price increase after the first run completes isn't too much. I really want one, but it's gonna be a while before I can get one. And if the price goes up several hundred dollars then it's gonna be even harder to get.

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Dustin: Sorry, but if you missed out on any opening bid, and that company proved successful, then at most you can buy our sold issues...[​IMG]

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Rajee: thanks for the update on the plus subs. I was thinking of a post from way back when they first mentioned the plus series, when they estimated that they should be available around the second week of January. Even if they should miss Jan 23rd, as we know, there are just so many things that you can predict and to the rest, they just have to react and adjust their, and our, timelines for their products.

12. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

I think this whole issue about missing availability dates is a bit much. Yes, Outlaw has definitely missed some of their target dates, no doubt about it. But you know what, I think it's not all deserved.

Here's why:

1. No major audio mass producer that I'm aware of let's the public know about their intro dates. It's very possible and most likely probable that products get pushed back all the time; we just don't know about it.

2. Why did they miss their dates? Most likely a combination of things from normal product bugs. But what is the alternative? We do know that the latest delay was caused by a bug on certain DVD's that apparently everyone else has chosen to ignore or deal with later. I would choose the "get it right the first time approach."

3. Atlantic Technology partnership? doubt it.

4. Firewire? nope, it doesn't have it so it would have no effect on launch.

5. Technology moving fast? I'm certain that some of that has entered into the picture. It appears that if we would be satisfied with a preamp/proc without DPLII and with a few bugs on 7.1 DVD's then we would have had it by November 1 at the latest.

Disclosure: I am going to pass on the 950 and any other current product right now. I've been waiting on Firewire (or whatever might have been) so I can buy a product capable of handling DVD-A digitally. I don't know exactly when I will be able to buy a Firewire capable DVD player and processor, but that's what my timeline looks like.

However, if I was in the market for a processor right now I really don't see that there is much competition to the 950. Not to say there isn't any, but few and far between and I won't include any receivers in this bunch. The power that a separate amp provides far outshines anything that a receiver will produce (watt for watt).

My .02

13. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hey Pat! Did you get the whole room, or just that wall?[​IMG] That sure is a mighty nice wall. Are you going to paint it black, green, gray or some other color?

15. Patrick R. Sklenar

John,
    Not only do I get the whole room, but I get the whole house to go with it! [​IMG] As for color, the builder must have gone to the Henry Ford school of business ... I can have my walls painted any color I want ... as long is I want white. [​IMG] After I get moved in and settled down, I'll look at either painting them a different color or maybe putting up a fabric covering. I figure I can get by with the white walls while I'm using my 36" direct view. But I'll need to do something about them by the time I buy my RPTV/FPTV in a year or so. {fingers crossed}

16. Robert Woods

Robert Woods Stunt Coordinator

Pat

I'm a bit wondering - I don't see the faucet on that brown beer pipe in the middle of the room - is it on the other side?

17. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Talk about waiting...

I waited over 3 MONTHS for my SVS PC's from order to delivery!!! It was worth every minute and the Outlaw pre/pro will be too.

Jeff Aguilar

18. Patrick R. Sklenar

19. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    wont there be multiple 'batches' of 950 pre/pros? i think i'm in the second one, so that means i'll be waiting longer for mine. (more time to penny-pinch!!)

20. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I've been looking at this pre/pro for a while now as something that I may upgrade to(I've been in need of a serious upgrade). But I just have one question, and don't mind the noOB-iness of it. [​IMG]
    To actually be able to use the 950 I will need a seperate amp...like the 750 (or from a different manufacturer right?
    Thanks.