What's new

Ordered Eyeglasses Online - Who Else Has? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I became near-sighted in elementary school...and studiously avoided wearing my horrible tortoise-shell horn-rimmed glasses at every opportunity. I then became far-sighted almost exactly on my 40th birthday and have tried nearly every combination of single-vision, bifocal, progressive lenses I could find.

I had transition lenses in the '70s & '80s but found they would darken over time and never fully return to a fully-clear state. That technology has probably improved since then.

My insurance coverage always allowed me a pair of computer glasses...but I never saw the need or effective use for them (even though I sit at a computer for a good part of my work day). But a couple years ago I found them to actually now help me quite a lot in making long stretches at a computer screen much more comfortable (as I no longer am needing to find the thin band in my lenses for that distance of viewing when wearing them). Now I like mine very much and they are an appreciated tool at my desk.

I can only wish my close-up vision would begin to improve with age...but, alas, that does NOT seem to be the case for me.

I also recently sprung for a nice pair of full-prescription sunglasses...another nice tool for me--and one that I never had before. I HAVE had a pair of single-vision sunglasses in my car for driving purposes. It is SO NICE to return to single-vision lenses (Oh...NOT to be far-sighted!) and I find I can read my dashboard just fine with them. Not so the screen on my phone though...so it serves as a tool to remind me I shouldn't be peeking at my phone screen while driving. :thumbsup: It is shocking how difficult life is when one cannot read things or easily see things that are close-up.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had transition lenses in the '70s & '80s but found they would darken over time and never fully return to a fully-clear state. That technology has probably improved since then.

Mike,

My last few pair of glasses have been with Transition lenses, and I have never experienced an issue with them darkening over time. They always return to a clear state indoors. I would suggest giving them another try if you want something that darkens outside. I read a lot outside on our deck in the summer, plus play a lot of golf, so Transition lenses really are a necessity for me.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Very timely thread for me. Need some new glasses, even though apparently my prescription hasn't changed in several years (lens coatings get scratched/worn usually = eventually annoying). I also have found nothing but "incompetency" from the local optometrists' offices. The people they hire to do fittings do a really poor job IMO, it's not like there's any formal training for it (AFAIK), so you rely on experience, and it always seems to be "new" people.

So...if the fitters can't do a good job, might as well not use them and go online. Have to say I've never got glasses from an optician, I think our vision plan at work used to not allow it, I better inquire about an online purchase. I like to save money, even if it's not my money! Seems practical. Especially considering the massively controlled mainstream vision industry, big vision or big eyeware, who are noted for their massively jacked-up prices (much worse in Canada).

Computer glasses...well, I don't need them for that. But I do need them to read all the instruments/screens in the car, even the ones right in front of me. Doesn't seem like it can be that much farther away than the computer display is, but apparently my eyes say it is. Those are the type of glasses I have now: not "perfect" for long distance, but pretty good, and I can also read the car's instruments.

Bifocals/transition lenses are a pain for me, I have some of those too. I don't need glasses for reading, so I don't know how I got talked into them in the first place. Wouldn't mind some that transition between "car display distance" and far though...probably not an online purchase?

Edit: by "transition" I mean a gradually-changing prescription across the lenses, not the darkening type of lens. Which I had many of, but they don't come close to cutting it for me compared to polarized lenses, light reflections give me a headache after a while, especially around water. The downside of my polarized prescription glasses is they "fight" with the polarization screens on some of the polarized lenses on car displays, so I have to tilt my head slightly to read them, but they're nothing really important.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Also, my lenses are not polarized, but are Transition lenses which darken when exposed to UV light outside. It has no affect on viewing the LCD screen in my vehicle.
Years ago I tried the Transitions and did not like them. They take to long to darken and then to lighten. In a car, they would darken much less than I wanted. Have they improved in these measures?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Computer glasses...well, I don't need them for that. But I do need them to read all the instruments/screens in the car, even the ones right in front of me. Doesn't seem like it can be that much farther away than the computer display is, but apparently my eyes say it is. Those are the type of glasses I have now: not "perfect" for long distance, but pretty good, and I can also read the car's instruments.

Bifocals/transition lenses are a pain for me, I have some of those too. I don't need glasses for reading, so I don't know how I got talked into them in the first place. Wouldn't mind some that transition between "car display distance" and far though...probably not an online purchase?
I don't quite understand what your vision situation is. It sounds like you're near sighted. You can definitely order glasses that will let you see distance as well as the car's display panel, but they have to be bifocal/progressives. Otherwise it's one or the other. It's all a matter of doing the math. The prescription is just "close" and "far", but you can split the difference. Some people apparently can't tolerate progressives, and either type takes a little time to get used to. You have to wear them, so you get used to them.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

It sounds as if you are looking for something no one makes. I think by "transition" lenses, you are probably referring to "progressive" lenses. Instead of having one focal distance (single vision) or two (bifocals), progressive lenses gradually change the focus from your far objects to the nearest. In between is an area that can pick up other in-between focal distances.I had a pair of progressive lenses a few years ago. It was the only time I could read my dashboard, radio, etc while driving. However, I decided I did not like progressive lenses. Something about them seems to narrow the focal area horizontally. So, the sweet spot of the viewing area seems smaller. I reverted back to traditional bifocals (which I buy online). In order to see my radio display, I now look over my glasses.

In order to focus on distance,and something closer (2 focal points) you will have to get either a traditional (line) bifocal or a progressive bifocal. But since you don't need a reading distance, you could have the lower part of the lens set to the distance you need in your vehicle. When you go to the optometrist, hell them the distance you need in order to see your instruments, and you should be good to go.

All the online eyeglass retailers I have used make bifocals, both line and progressive. Because I need horizontal and vertical prosms in my glasses, I have to order from from a retailer who does them. Zenni does not, Eyebuydirect does. I usually order traditional line bifocals and a single vision computer pair, set for the distance I sit from the computer screen.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
So is everybody buying from Zenni? Any other online sites being used?
Warby Parker also sells online. I prefer to buy my glasses in person, and I'm lucky enough to have one of their stores near me, so I went there a couple of years ago to get my first pair of glasses in over 20 years (!) Warby Parker has the best selection of frames, imo, and that was important to me. Seems like most of the stores (Lenscrafters, Pearl, etc.) have 100 different frames that all look pretty much alike. Not so with WP, who do their own in-house designing.

They will send you a selection of frames thru the mail to try on for free.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Years ago I tried the Transitions and did not like them. They take to long to darken and then to lighten. In a car, they would darken much less than I wanted. Have they improved in these measures?
The transition from a clear to dark, as well as the reverse, is fairly quick... at least, it hasn’t been an issue for me.

The UV-blocking windows in modern vehicles does prevent the lenses from darkening, though. I keep clip-on shades in my car in case I need them, but I rarely use them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It sounds as if you are looking for something no one makes. I think by "transition" lenses, you are probably referring to "progressive" lenses. Instead of having one focal distance (single vision) or two (bifocals), progressive lenses gradually change the focus from your far objects to the nearest. In between is an area that can pick up other in-between focal distances.I had a pair of progressive lenses a few years ago. It was the only time I could read my dashboard, radio, etc while driving. However, I decided I did not like progressive lenses. Something about them seems to narrow the focal area horizontally. So, the sweet spot of the viewing area seems smaller. I reverted back to traditional bifocals (which I buy online). In order to see my radio display, I now look over my glasses.
I had the same issue with peripheral vision with progressive bifocals as my prescription became stronger. The answer was the wider progressives I mentioned earlier (wish I could remember the technical term). The prescription is extended farther towards the outside of the lens. It made a huge difference for me. I recommended them to my sister, too, who was having the same issue and she saw a significant difference as well. It’s an additional cost, but in my case is well worth it.

FYI, I only started needing glasses when I hit about 40 years old. I have always had progressive bifocals, and it didn’t take me very long to get used to them. I cannot really compare them to traditional bifocals, though, since I never have worn the latter. The technicians usually warn me when I am getting new glasses that progressives can be difficult to get used to for some people, until I let them know I have been wearing them for many years.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The transition from a clear to dark, as well as the reverse, is fairly quick... at least, it hasn’t been an issue for me.

The UV-blocking windows in modern vehicles does prevent the lenses from darkening, though. I keep clip-on shades in my car in case I need them, but I rarely use them.
Are we talking a couple of seconds?

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't quite understand what your vision situation is. It sounds like you're near sighted. You can definitely order glasses that will let you see distance as well as the car's display panel, but they have to be bifocal/progressives. Otherwise it's one or the other. It's all a matter of doing the math. The prescription is just "close" and "far", but you can split the difference. Some people apparently can't tolerate progressives, and either type takes a little time to get used to. You have to wear them, so you get used to them.
Actually I have astigmatism. It just happens that my vision goes to hell at around 2'. Yes, we specifically chose the "car display distance" prescription because it was important for me. I think it's 20/25 with that setup at far distance, so good enough for driving. This prescription has been recommended for me by two separate optometrists so far, for the purposes I want, so since I know "nothing" about it I have to assume they know what they're doing (my complaints are not about the optometrists, it's about their help).

It is kind of odd that they didn't offer progressives for that, and I've got progressives from one of them before. Perhaps it's not something they can do, or couldn't do the last time I specifically asked. I have my prescription right here, just got it, same as the last one. This optometrist is one of the "good guys" who I can talk prescriptions with (like for shooting etc.) and he seems pretty knowledgable. But now that you mention it, I should 100% verify that what you said (and I want) can't be done.

Astigmatism is a pain for just about any vision correction mechanism, it seems to always be the last common vision problem addressed by "new" technologies (whether it was contacts, or Lasik, etc.). With lenses, I don't know if you can ever perfectly correct for it, there always seems to be "holes" (where I can notice some lack of clarity at a rather specific distance).

BTW optometrists here (Ontario, Canada) do not give out IPDs. No good (IMO) answer as to why not. I didn't even know what IPD was until I started with VR.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@CraigF , astigmatism isn't unusual. I have it along with pretty strong nearsightedness. So, you can have both, and many people do.

How strong are your diopter (power) corrections?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
It took me a while to get used to the lack of clear peripheral vision with my progressives, after having worn single-vision glasses for nearsightedness since I was 13, but I finally got used to it and don't even think about it anymore. In my 40s, I started noticing that I could no longer see anything closer than about a foot or so, without having to lift up my distance glasses to focus. My last pair of glasses were purchased in 1990, and had a big glob of krazy glue on the bridge after breaking in half several times, so I guess it was time.

My progressives are for distance on the top half, and the bottom half the prescription is cancelled out, so I see just as I would without wearing any glasses at all. But, at 48, I'm starting to need to put on drugstore reading glasses to see very small print.

I like that Warby Parker's prices are flat- $95 for single vision and $195 for progressives. No add-ons like they try to con you into in regular eyeglass stores. They're polycarb lenses, anti-scratch, anti-uv, etc., and that's it--they all come with that.

They also donate a pair of glasses to a person in need, for every pair they sell.

I had my pupillary distance checked at my doctor's office, but they wanted to double-check when I went in to the store, which was nice. They also adjusted the earpieces to fit my head more snugly, which is one of the reasons I didn't want to order from them online.

My niece actually recommended WP to me when I told her I was having trouble finding any frames that I liked. It turned out that she and I unknowingly purchased the exact same frames (Durand), in slightly different colors, lol.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
@JohnRice I apparently have "irregular" astigmatism...IDK what exactly that means, I am not good at interpreting/understanding medical info...

There are things that could be diopter/power called ADD on the prescription. Is that them? They are +2.00 for 20/25 vision on my "car prescription", which is what I asked for, but is subject to change with new/better info... :)

P.S. I let the optometrists make the recommendations, based on what I tell them I want. Since they have all the fancy photographs and instrument readings from my eyes (optional extras), I presume they're using their experience to not recommend options that won't work well. Not one optometrist has recommended e.g. Lasik for me. I never asked why, and I will shortly.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@JohnRice I apparently have "irregular" astigmatism...IDK what exactly that means, I am not good at interpreting/understanding medical info...
There are things that could be diopter/power called ADD on the prescription. Is that them? They are +2.00 for 20/25 vision on my "car prescription", which is what I asked for, but is subject to change with new/better info... :)
ADD is for the correction at the bottom of bifocal/progressives. The basic diopter adjustment is usually the first pair of numbers, which is for distance. You might not need any adjustment for distance. It sounds like you might only have adjustments for astigmatism, and a close correction (the ADD) for reading, with no other distance adjustment.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ OK then, the first numbers (SPH) are -1.75 (OD) and -2.75 (OS). Bad or really bad?

Edit: Thanks for the info guys. You know how it is with bigger companies: it's not always about the amount of $, it's about following the correct procedure to expend the $. I still have not got a total confirmation that I can get glasses online, and get reimbursed by our insurance company, but it seems good. They are technologically slow, in fact only started allowing official correspondence by email (and not fax! or letter) less than 3 years ago. And we're often a couple years behind the U.S. in consumer purchasing trends too.

Anyway, since my prescription hasn't changed for several years, I took the old progressive lenses that I previously rejected and put them in my "driving glasses" frames (the old lenses originally came from these frames). Free experiment. They do seem a little better than my driving glasses for distance...now. Makes sense, since they don't have my 20/25 "corruption" for seeing better at ~2'.

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Funny, I bought glasses online about 8 years ago from Shuron, the company that made and still makes those old browline style frame from the 1950's and 1960's. I was on a JFK kick (the movie) and wanted the same glasses Kevin Costner wore. I found them and the original manufacturer. There were a real pleasure to deal with and even shipped me several different sized frames to see which ones fit correctly at their cost. They said I could just have the frames shipped or they actually could get my prescription and make the lenses too either in glass or modern non-scratch lenses. Great company to do business with. The frames are still made in USA too, and they have other vintage styles from the '50s to even some '80s era styles. I still have the glasses although the prescription is a little weak now, but not too much.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I went to Warby Parker and picked out a frame and quickly found out progressives would cost $295. That’s without any add-ons, which I presume come later. I went to Zenni and it appears I have to enter a prescription and put some effort into it to get a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks