1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ordered Eyeglasses Online - Who Else Has?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JohnRice, Apr 12, 2019.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    The most expensive ones I've gotten from the "Z" place are mirrored sunglasses with high index (1.67) progressive lenses. That's a lot of pricey options. They were $117. Anything you get should typically be that or less, unless you want polarized transition sunglass lenses.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have never really timed it, but it’s definitely “seconds” and not “minutes”. It happens quickly enough that it is rarely an issue for me— only when I am going from bright sunlight directly into a dark room.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  3. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer
    Supporter

usrunnr
    May I ask how long and how difficult your recovery was from the double cataract surgery?

4. Message #44 of 60 Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    What add-ons are you looking for? WP's pricing is flat--the only "add-on" are the "light-responsive" lenses (that darken in sunlight, like Transitions) which I think is a new offering (and $100 extra).

ALL their lenses come with anti-scratch, anti-reflective, 100% UV protection and polycarb lenses---no extra charge for any of that.

I did pay $295 for my progressives -- sorry for the error!

WP probably isn't the cheapest place to get glasses, but for me, the frame selection was paramount and I think they're unsurpassed in that area.

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Yup, as soon as I added progressives it went up to $295.

6. Message #46 of 60 Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ That explains it...CA$400 to duplicate what I have (~US$300) in my progressive prescription, similar frames. Still, that's a significant "discount" from the optometrist, who can't profit on goods, only on services (here).

Is Zenni a good place? I got the impression it's not the favorite of some of you. (And too bad I didn't see their FAQ before all my Qs the other day...)

Oh...and the "line" that divides progressive lenses "in half", from the reading to the infinite prescriptions: is that in a fixed place, usually? When I was complaining about "fitters", I was presuming the position of this "line" was one of the things fitters did. Like I look straight ahead, and they see where my pupils are, etc., I expect them to know that stuff because I don't. I mean, if an idiot is going to fit my glasses, I can do that myself!

[It's only been 2.5 years (seemed lots longer...) since I rejected those last progressives because that "line" is in totally the wrong place. I have to unnaturally tilt my head slightly to get my eyes in the right place for distance. Hardly noticeable most of the time, but sucks when sitting down watching a display.]

7. JohnRice

John
    The first several respondants used Zenni and seem to have been perfectly happy. I looked into some of the other places (I've ordered from Zenni) and it just seems that who is best for you depends on your priorities. Several people seem to be very concerned about whether they can return them if they don't like them. Maybe I'm just not as picky, but I'm not particularly concerned about that. They have tools that allow you to view the glasses on your face, if you go to the trouble. Plus, let's look at the numbers. I decided to try some computer glasses. They cost me $85. Once I tried them, I realized that in a perfect world I want a slightly different prescription. At WP it appears I could return them, but I would have paid $295 for one pair. Instead, I can just keep the ones I got and make due for $85. They're 90% perfect, just not 100%. ...OR... I have the option of buying two more pairs that are 100% perfect, one for work and one for home, and keep the initial ones as backups, for a total cost for all three pairs of $255, which is still a savings of $40 over having only one perfect pair from WP.

Zenni doesn't have designer frames, but you can typically get an entire pair of progressives from them for less than just the cost of frames elsewhere. My first order, I ordered just one pair of basic glasses, to see how they were. Now I've ordered eight pairs for a total of $500. The sunglasses I decided to cut loose on would have cost me more than that at a place like Visionworks, so I'm perfectly happy. I have progressives, readers, computer glasses for home, work, and the car. Also, the number of options with Zenni might be intimidating, but that's what I like the most. I can get exactly what I want, but going through the list of options (lens options must be at least 30, when you include all the sunglass options) is daunting at first.

If you want designer frames, you have to go elsewhere. WP seems to boil it down to just a couple decisions. I like things complicated.

As far as where the transition is, you don't get to specify that. One important things is to get frames with lenses tall enough to encompass the three regions. The transition area says it's 12-14mm and you get lenses that are only 30mm high, there's probably not going to be enough space.

Doug Wallen and CraigF like this.
  8. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    I think that's my problem. These progressives were my first narrow lenses, as well as my first progressives. I knew nothing about them at the time, practically speaking. No way my transition area is 12-14mm, that's half my lens!

Anyway, at Zenni I was just comparing their price for these progressives vs what I paid 3+ years ago, since I remember the price. I wasn't going to get progressives again. I was thinking like you, that I could get multiple pairs of glasses for different purposes, for the price of one pair from my usual sources. It's more "work" than I thought, when you're starting from a place of complete ignorance.

9. JohnRice

John
    Someone should have pointed out to you that small frames with progressive lenses isn't a good combination. Several of the ones I've gotten are still progressives. My computer/work ones are. They just have an altered prescription. The close ADD for my regular prescription is +1.75, and with a little experimenting, I found that for computer work, which I do a lot of, putting +0.50 of that on the top (far) part is great for working on a computer. Then the close ADD I like is +1.00, which is 0.25 less than the prescription, because I want the close part to be ideal for keyboard distance, which is further than the reading distance from the prescription. Most of what I do at work is within arm distance, and there's a lot of reading small text, so even though these result in poorer distance vision, I wear them most of the time at work. It's made my life a whole lot easier.

I also found I want to reduce the adjustment for reading glasses by 0.25, because that made the ideal distance too close for how I like to read. The first readers I got were only $17, so it's not a big deal just taking those to work and ordering a second pair with the modified prescription for actual book reading.

Most of all, I've always been very conservative about what glasses I ordered, since they are so expensive. Now I'll order something unusual, just to see how I like them.

10. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    That comes with everything, though (except darkening lenses).

But you may be better off with a place that does BOGO sales, like America's Best, if you're not super-picky about frames, or Zenni. But I've never bought glasses from either of those places, so I can't vouch for them.

11. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    I was reading an online report from Consumer Reports about eyeglasses being so expensive. Most frames are made by Luxottica who also own most B&M stores such as Pearl Vision, Lenscrafters, etc.
    They control the prices often are many times over cost.
    I'm considering going online for my next pair as Zenni and Warby Parker are not controlled by Luxottica!

12. JohnRice

John
    Frames are a big part of it. One pair of glasses I recently bought has frames which are virtually identical to the ones I got from Visionworks five years ago. The style. The construction. The quality. Pretty much everything about them. The ones from Visionworks, five years ago I remind you, were $90. The virtually identical Zenni ones were $10. Even at effectively half price on a BOGO, that's still $45 for the frames, while I was able to get an equivalent full pair of glasses for $45. Or, if I let the lenses be slightly thicker, only $25. Again, that's comparing today's Zenni prices to Visionworks prices five years ago. It's absurd.

13. Message #53 of 60 Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    JohnRice

John
    Now that I've had more time and more experience with online ordering glasses, there are a few things to add. One of the big reasons for savings at places like Zenni, who have their own frames, is the substantial savings on frames. A downside is that the frames aren't necessarily as durable as the designer ones, but I'm OK with that. The fact is, those more expensive frames can last 10+ years of daily use, but I've never had lenses that really stayed clear and unscratched for more than maybe three years. So why do the frames need to last several times that long?

Also, I've realized that every time I've gotten glasses in the last 30 years, the experience was unsatisfactory. You really don't get much time to make your decision, and you aren't very informed about options and their prices. Most of all, they want to decide on glasses right after your eyes are checked. It's absurd to be trying to make that decision when you're blind from having your eyes dilated.

Over the last six weeks I've gone through the frame selection several times, picking out ones I'm interested in and adding them to my favorites. In the end, I'm much happier with what I'm getting, and every decision doesn't cost so much that I feel I have to live with it for years.

One of the biggest things is the prices. Regular places charge a fortune for high index lenses. I have a pretty strong prescription. With progressives, larger lenses are a big plus, and styles are getting larger as well, which also fits with my big, fat head. The online place I've ordered from has very good options and prices for high index lenses, which keeps the lenses thinner.

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Where’s you order from?

15. JohnRice

John
    Zenni. 1.74 index progressives are $98 for a pair and 1.67 are $73 for my prescription. Single vision are something like $55 for 1.74 and 30something for 1.67. On my last glasses, single vision that seemed to be around 1.61 were $75 each. A pair of those is $20 from Zenni.

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think I saw something similar on truTV's "Adam Ruins Everything".

17. Scott Merryfield

I have reused old frames with new lenses a few times, which helps save some money.

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I’ve got a new prescription which is significantly better than the current one...because my cataracts have gotten worse. Still not bad enough to qualify for the surgery. She thinks in 6 months (maybe even less) I will qualify, but she wouldn’t guarantee it. If I’m going to get new glasses, I’m going the online route.

I’m going to ask a question I think I know that answer to, but here goes: do the online companies, Zenni in particular, take vision insurance? I suspect no.

If anyone has any last bits of advice, I’d be glad to have it.

19. JohnRice

John
    I know Zenni doesn't take insurance, but will provide a FSA/HSA receipt for reimbursement, if your insurance allows that. Even if they don't, you should check prices, because it might be cheaper through them without insurance than other places with insurance.

Doug Wallen and Johnny Angell like this.
  20. Scott Merryfield

This can definitely be true. I switched to a new optometrist last year, and the store has a Groupon deal that gave me a much better price without insurance than I used to get at my old place before I retired and had optical insurance. Depending on your coverage (my optical insurance wasn't very good), you may find the same thing.