What's new

Ordered Eyeglasses Online - Who Else Has? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought I'd follow up. I've gotten several pairs of glasses. An absurd number, actually, but after getting my first pair of progressives, I realized a couple things. For one, the first pair I ordered really don't have lenses tall enough to be ideal for progressives. Also, I soon realized that progressives are annoying in some circumstances, like watching movies. When I recline and get comfortable, the image is always in the transition area of the lens, so it's blurry. When I realized I could get single vision eyeglasses with basic anti-reflection for $15 or less, I decided to get three pair and leave a pair in each room that has a TV.

I also ended up getting two pairs of computer/work glasses. Those have made my work life go so much smoother, I can't believe what an improvement. To explain what I ended up with, my prescription is -5.25 and -5.00 and a close add of +1.75, not including the astigmatism numbers, which always stay the same. At work, I mostly am dealing with stuff within arm's length, which is just a little too close for regular lenses. My eyes were always strained. Progressives helped, but I was constantly trying to find the perfect spot on the transition area. I settled on reducing the prescription by 0.50 to -4.75 and -4.50, with a close add of +1.00. That makes the close area a little further away, because that was perfect for keyboard distance. I wear them most of the day at work, and while the distance focus is slightly off, it's easy to get into the habit of not trying to focus on things in the distance. When I need regular glasses, like when I have lunch, I just switch glasses.

I also got reading glasses, but backed off the close adjustment by 0.25, because the prescription was for a distance that is too close for comfortable reading. Again, $25 or less for those, with the best anti-reflection. I got a few pairs of funky sunglasses, just for kicks. Another of those silly things, I found I don't like progressives for when I mow the lawn, because the ground at my feet is out of focus. Another $20 and I have a nice pair of sunglasses for mowing the lawn. Talk about First World problems. :rolleyes:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Most people on this forum have disc storage problems.

But when I read John's posts in this thread, I figure his house must have a room which looks like this:

glasses.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just got my Zenni's in the mail. There are lineless progressives (if that's the name) and they came a day early.
Between the frames and the lenses (I ordered the lightest), they are incredibly light, which I like. The frames seem incredibly cheap to me, but they are comfortable. These are frames with magnetic snap on sunglasses and that works well.

But how's the vision? When I first put them on, I was impressed and liked them immediately. Everything is clearer. However, when I sat down to my Mac, things aren't so clear. I'm able to get things done, but they aren't as good as my previous prescription.

I stepped away and tried my iPad, and since it's closer, it's even worse. With a little experimentation, I've discovered they made the close-up vision as a small sliver at the bottom of the lens, much too small.

10 feet away they are great. The frames are comfortable, cheap, and very light. It's almost as if I'm not wearing glasses. They feel that good. Closeup, not so great. I'd be nice if I was in an adjustment period, but I don't think so. I may have to carry my previous glasses with me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Have you ever had progressive lenses before?
Oh yes.

I did an online chat. She sent me a pic showing the close, intermediate, and far regions. I told her the close region was a tiny sliver and not as pictured.

I’m sending them back for an inspection. If Zenni says they did them right, I have a choice of a one-time store credit for 100% of the price, less shipping or I can return for a 50% refund, less shipping. If they did them wrong, they’ll re-do them. If they say they did them right, I’ll take the 50% refund since it makes no sense to get another pair.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Look at the frames you got. What is the vertical dimension of the lenses? I’ve gotten several pairs from them and this has never been my experience. Also, not all frames are sturdy. Not everyone wants frames that are really stiff. I’ve gotten $10 frames that are built like a tank and more expensive ones that are very lightweight and flexible. If you want the lightest weight, they’re not going to be really stiff.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Look at the frames you got. What is the vertical dimension of the lenses? I’ve gotten several pairs from them and this has never been my experience. Also, not all frames are sturdy. Not everyone wants frames that are really stiff. I’ve gotten $10 frames that are built like a tank and more expensive ones that are very lightweight and flexible. If you want the lightest weight, they’re not going to be really stiff.
The vertical is 40mm. Of the frames I picked out, they were among the tallest. As for the cheap frames, if I was happy with lenses, then I’d be very happy because they almost feel like I’m not wearing glasses.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My regular glasses are frame 327912 which are 41mm tall, and I got the highest index (1.74) lenses. With my -5.00/-5.25 prescription, they are remarkably thin and the glasses overall are very light. Best glasses I've ever owned. From what you're describing, something sounds wrong, as long as you got regular progressives, not one of their special "task" versions, which I've never tried.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My regular glasses are frame 327912 which are 41mm tall, and I got the highest index (1.74) lenses. With my -5.00/-5.25 prescription, they are remarkably thin and the glasses overall are very light. Best glasses I've ever owned. From what you're describing, something sounds wrong, as long as you got regular progressives, not one of their special "task" versions, which I've never tried.
I got regular progressives. It will be interesting to learn what Zenni says. Except for the fact I can’t see intermediate to close, these would be great glasses and the most comfortable I’ve ever had.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hope it gets resolved properly. I've gotten six pairs of progressives with no issues like this.

rkhoury

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Khoury
Finally took the plunge a few weeks back to place an order with Zenni, and all in all everything went quite well. For the last dozen years or more I've been a Target Optical Store customer. Prices were decent and it was convenient, however Zenni was half the price, the delivery cycle was just as quick and both the frame and lens options were significantly greater.

So my thanks to the up thread participants on this topic.....those saved $$ allowed me to purchase more shinny platters. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks