What's new

Opinions on low-end 2ndTV please... (1 Viewer)

Kevin/Da

Auditioning
Esteemed video experts:):
I'm looking to replace a 19 in. TV in the bedroom with something 25 or 27 in. but I don't want to spend much since it won't get all that much use. I'm not too concerned with bells and whistles or even sound for that matter (DirecTV STB goes right into a receiver anyway), but I do want something with an s-video in. Any recommendations among Daewoo, Sansui, Sharp, etc.? Or are they all crap? :rolleyes

Thanks much for the opinions!

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
You can get a Sony VVega 27in for $500. It has a really nice picture, flat screen, S-Video. Thats what my mom got for her room, DVDs look real nice on it for the price.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
A few months ago I got a JVC 27S33, if memory serves on the model #. Very good PQ for a 27" analog. I think it had the best comb filter (based on specs) for the 27" models in contention for me. Beats the pants off my 11 year old 35" TV from a PQ perspective (no big surprise) and has S-Video and component inputs (of course, only interlaced). I was a bit constrained width-wise because I needed the TV to fit in a wall unit for a while. As such, the speakers are low end, if you even care. $300.

Doug

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

It sounds like you're interested in a basic TV and don't need/want to spend more than necessary. In that case you don't need to go flat screen unless you find a really good bargain. Most flats have side mounted speakers so there is extra width involved in case space is tight (as Doug mentioned).

Of the brands/price class you mentioned, I know something of Sharp and Sansui, nothing of Daewoo, Apex, etc. I bought a 20" Sansui TV/VCR combo for my Mom a few years back and the darn thing still has a very nice picture and has never given her one lick of trouble. Have also known many people who have owned Sharp (probably the best Value brand) and have been very happy. I recently shopped the 25-27" offerings of all brands out there and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. I tried out the set Doug posted on and was impressed. Still took it back and got the 'D' series one step up. Again impressed but they were not what I was looking for (got a great deal on a Tosh 27AF42) but it's hard to go wrong with one of these if all you need is a basic set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks