What's new

Opinions on best Hi, Med, and Low-end FP (1 Viewer)

GabeF

Auditioning
Hello, although I visited here regularly a few years ago, I've been distracted away from HT-goodness for too long and I'm looking to get back into it a bit. I plan on upgrading my home theater some time this year and I am a little out of touch.

I am not looking to start a flame war on brand "A" vs. brand "B" but honestly, I LOOKED in the various forums here and elsewhere and just could not find the kind of info I was looking for.

So here is my thinking so far...

With the horrendous prices on DLP, Plasma, and LCDs, (I've already dismissed "regular" HDTVs...) and the fact that I won't even consider something smaller than 60", I am thinking that now may be the time to go for a front projection system. So, I am looking for opinions or places where I can get reviews on the best high-end, medium, and low-end front projection HDTVs. I've seen some positive things on Sharp, Infocus, etc. on the low-end, and the Marantz S3 on the high end, but I wanted a broader perspective than what I've gathered so far.

On a side note, I have read about OLEDs and "Liquid Crystal on Silicon" technology from Intel, and I believe that these will likely mean dramatically improved quality and decreased prices for these types of products, even within this year.

So some questions that come to mind:

Is the Marantz the consensus for the best high-end? What are the other competitors here?

What are some mid-range options? What are the major feature and quality differences?

What about the low-end? I've read a few threads on these here, and people seem to be quite satisfied with projectors in the sub $2K range. Would I be?

Whatever I get next will have to last me a long time. Is there so much changing this year that I really need to wait until '05?

Well, lots more I could say, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling...

Thanks!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
*cough* *hack* *wheeze*

Vince's links are indeed very helpful, but he did leave out the often forgotten (and VASTLY underrated) option of CRT projection.

See also here for the AVS CRT forums:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=16

The marantz S3 is nice, but it's damn expensive. And as you not technology is changing rapidly in the digital arenas.

I hate to keep sounding like a CRT politician, but few around here mention it, so I will do it anyway. If you have the proper space (i.e. a dedicated, light controlled room), and a good spot for a ceiling mount (i.e. you don't live in an apartment, so you can bolt into the ceiling beams), and the will to get the best PQ, for the least $$, then this might be a great bargain. The tradeoff is that you are buying (for much less money) a small project, rather than a plug-n-play digital projector. A CRT is by no means beyond an average person to set up, but it will take you some time to do it.

And since you also seem to value longevity, this is a REALLY big plus. Digitals are largely not repairable. CRTS are gigantic hunks of old technology, but they last forever, and are actually fixable.Anyway, read the "important CRT linked threadS" post at the top of that forum i linked you, especially Curt's beginner guide. There are several big techs/resellers there, along with many smaller gurus and small-time sellers around. IT is an insanely cheap bargain, since you're paying like 1/10th the price for these as sold new.

Hope that adds another option anyway. :emoji_thumbsup:

GabeF

Auditioning
Well, thanks guys. Your suggestions have been awesome. avsforum has a lot of info, although I didn't find any reviews, DuWayne's link gave me a great baseline to start from.
And Chris' ideas did have some appeal, I must admit. So I have a lot to think about as I contemplate my next home theater debt-creation project... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks