OPINIONS! Blowing fuses on my SVS 20-39+

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Gene Evans, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Gene Evans

Gene Evans Auditioning

Got it today. While calibrating with an Avia DVD...when it runs through its frequency sweep down to 20hz...if I have the volume up 1/2 way on my receiver and 1/2 way up on the sub, it WILL blow the fuse. Without fail.

I have it tuned down to 16hz.

Crossover frequency is disabled.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V795A.

No problems as such thus far with movies, music.

Is this normal?

I tried contacting SVS...but they're sales staff is off to the CES per their recording.

Looking for opinions.

Otherwise, this thing is unbelieveable.

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Gene,

Have you tried emailing them? They've been on email despite the CES trip and may know what's going on quickly.

-Robb

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Gene,

Yes, that is normal. Based on the control settings you described, I'm betting the subwoofer is producing 115-120dBs when the fuse pops. You should never play test tones that loud. Although sweeps are less stressful than say a sinewave...you can still damage the subwoofer at extreme levels. Please calibrate the system with a SPL meter, and pop in a few DVDs or CDs and let me know how it sounds..[​IMG] Also, don't forget to experiment a bit with the phase control and placement of the subwoofer in the room too(corners tend to work well).

Tom V.
    SVS

4. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I am still in the deciding stage. But I'm leaning towards getting an SVS sub. Though lately, I have seen some post regarding fuse issues with SVS. I know how the SVS guys takes care of their customers based from threads I've read from the forum. One question though, does this issue always happen?

Thanks in advance.

neil

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hello Neil,

The fuse is supposed to blow in certain situations(that is actually exactly why is it a part of the amplification circuitry). Running test tones at very loud levels?. Well, the fuse BETTER blow...if it doesn't (when it should)...you likely be left with a subwoofer that no longer *woofs*..[​IMG]

Match the correct subwoofer to your listening needs and room size, calibrate the system...and you'll likely never pop the fuse.

Tom V.
    SVS

6. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Neil,

I have to ask as a frequent visitor to many of these forums, Is there a rash of SVS fuse blowing going on. I honestly can only recall one.

thanks
    Scott

7. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Hi scott,

I just saw 2 threads related to it today and the other day. But forget it, probably, the fuse blows up because users are forcing it beyond its normal limits. And just told my self that having a fuse is a good feature.

Thanks.

neil

8. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I wonder what percentage of your customer's blown drivers are because of the above? [​IMG]

9. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

I have never blown a fuse in over a year with my 20-39pc+

10. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The only other time I have ever read about a blown fuse on an SVS amp was recently with a PB1-ISD, and that unit was more than likely damaged by UPS in transit. The Indigo BASH amps SVS uses are extraordinarily reliable and rugged.

I've owned two powered SV subwoofers, and helped set-up and calibrate several others. None of us have ever had a problem with a blown fuse. This is definitely a result of pushing the sub too hard on sine waves or sweeps, and it's a safety feature designed to protect the amp/woofer.

My only other suggestion to Gene would be to try the stock 20 Hz tune. Running the PC+ with a port plugged makes it work a bit harder (more current draw, higher VC temp, etc.) to achieve a given sound pressure level.

The 20-39PC+ will dig strong to about 17-18 Hz in the native tune - plenty deep for nearly all DVDs and music. I would only use the 16 Hz tune if I knew for sure there was strong signal content in the 14-17 Hz region. Otherwise, let the "triple threat" breathe deep. [​IMG]

11. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Gene,

Please keep us posted but I do believe all is well and the fuses are working correctly as we discussed via e-mail. Hopefully you were able to get an SPL meter and see where your real calibration is. As already noted, 1/2 up on gain and receiver sub level can be actually very VERY high in reality, potentially 2-3 times recommended levels (ergo the blown fuses) for test tones as Tom indicated.

PS, as you already know both sales and tech support was fully functional at CES, we did announce our presense there on the voice mail just in case we did not pick up. It can get pretty noisy at CES and wanted to warn folks of that is all.

Ron

12. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

I did the freq. sweep with the sub too loud one time and stopped the sweep before it was done, the sonics were just too much and every room in the house was shaking, I almost couldn't see straight I felt my eyes starting to shake. I couldn't imagin what was going on in your house.

Dave

13. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered my Avia disc. The SVS PB2+ is on the way. And I'm reading stuff like this. The investment was the easy part - the waiting is killing me. Sigh.