What's new

OPINIONS! Blowing fuses on my SVS 20-39+ (1 Viewer)

Gene Evans

Auditioning
Got it today. While calibrating with an Avia DVD...when it runs through its frequency sweep down to 20hz...if I have the volume up 1/2 way on my receiver and 1/2 way up on the sub, it WILL blow the fuse. Without fail.

I have it tuned down to 16hz.

Crossover frequency is disabled.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V795A.

No problems as such thus far with movies, music.

Is this normal?

I tried contacting SVS...but they're sales staff is off to the CES per their recording.

Looking for opinions.

Otherwise, this thing is unbelieveable.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Gene,

Have you tried emailing them? They've been on email despite the CES trip and may know what's going on quickly.

-Robb

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Gene,

Yes, that is normal. Based on the control settings you described, I'm betting the subwoofer is producing 115-120dBs when the fuse pops. You should never play test tones that loud. Although sweeps are less stressful than say a sinewave...you can still damage the subwoofer at extreme levels. Please calibrate the system with a SPL meter, and pop in a few DVDs or CDs and let me know how it sounds..:) Also, don't forget to experiment a bit with the phase control and placement of the subwoofer in the room too(corners tend to work well).

Tom V.
SVS

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I am still in the deciding stage. But I'm leaning towards getting an SVS sub. Though lately, I have seen some post regarding fuse issues with SVS. I know how the SVS guys takes care of their customers based from threads I've read from the forum. One question though, does this issue always happen?

Thanks in advance.

neil

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hello Neil,

The fuse is supposed to blow in certain situations(that is actually exactly why is it a part of the amplification circuitry). Running test tones at very loud levels?. Well, the fuse BETTER blow...if it doesn't (when it should)...you likely be left with a subwoofer that no longer *woofs*..:)

Match the correct subwoofer to your listening needs and room size, calibrate the system...and you'll likely never pop the fuse.

Tom V.
SVS

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Neil,

I have to ask as a frequent visitor to many of these forums, Is there a rash of SVS fuse blowing going on. I honestly can only recall one.

thanks
Scott

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hi scott,

I just saw 2 threads related to it today and the other day. But forget it, probably, the fuse blows up because users are forcing it beyond its normal limits. And just told my self that having a fuse is a good feature.

Thanks.

neil

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The only other time I have ever read about a blown fuse on an SVS amp was recently with a PB1-ISD, and that unit was more than likely damaged by UPS in transit. The Indigo BASH amps SVS uses are extraordinarily reliable and rugged.

I've owned two powered SV subwoofers, and helped set-up and calibrate several others. None of us have ever had a problem with a blown fuse. This is definitely a result of pushing the sub too hard on sine waves or sweeps, and it's a safety feature designed to protect the amp/woofer.

My only other suggestion to Gene would be to try the stock 20 Hz tune. Running the PC+ with a port plugged makes it work a bit harder (more current draw, higher VC temp, etc.) to achieve a given sound pressure level.

The 20-39PC+ will dig strong to about 17-18 Hz in the native tune - plenty deep for nearly all DVDs and music. I would only use the 16 Hz tune if I knew for sure there was strong signal content in the 14-17 Hz region. Otherwise, let the "triple threat" breathe deep. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Gene,

Please keep us posted but I do believe all is well and the fuses are working correctly as we discussed via e-mail. Hopefully you were able to get an SPL meter and see where your real calibration is. As already noted, 1/2 up on gain and receiver sub level can be actually very VERY high in reality, potentially 2-3 times recommended levels (ergo the blown fuses) for test tones as Tom indicated.

PS, as you already know both sales and tech support was fully functional at CES, we did announce our presense there on the voice mail just in case we did not pick up. It can get pretty noisy at CES and wanted to warn folks of that is all.

Ron

Dave Shepard

Agent
I did the freq. sweep with the sub too loud one time and stopped the sweep before it was done, the sonics were just too much and every room in the house was shaking, I almost couldn't see straight I felt my eyes starting to shake. I couldn't imagin what was going on in your house.

Dave

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered my Avia disc. The SVS PB2+ is on the way. And I'm reading stuff like this. The investment was the easy part - the waiting is killing me. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks