What's new

Anyone remember Velodyne? (1 Viewer)

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
John: Sorry if you were offended, but I always like to get information and/or answers from several sources and then compare the results.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, your responses to my advice and information weren't that you need to confirm it. Your responses were simply that I was wrong.

Anyway, I've invested more time than I care to.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
OK. Just in case someone would care to comment, I have one more question in this quest to solve my subwoofer issue, which involves a setting in the subwoofer set-up menu. I was checking the settings, which I'm assuming Audyssey made, and the sub mode is set to LFE, which I believe is correct. The other setting is somewhat confusing to me and that is the "LPF for LFE" setting, which according to the manual sets the playback setting of the sub. It then lists 80hz, 90hz, 100hz, 110hz, 120hz, 150hz, 200hz, and 250 hz. Currently my setting is 120hz. First of all, what does LPF stand for? And, secondly, should mine be set to 120hz? (I'm assuming here that this is the upper frequency cutoff the for sub, right?) And, if my bass is still too heavy, shouldn't I back down this setting to 80hz, since that's the receiver's crossover setting? Comments please? Thanks!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
OK. Just in case someone would care to comment, I have one more question in this quest to solve my subwoofer issue, which involves a setting in the subwoofer set-up menu. I was checking the settings, which I'm assuming Audyssey made, and the sub mode is set to LFE, which I believe is correct. The other setting is somewhat confusing to me and that is the "LPF for LFE" setting, which according to the manual sets the playback setting of the sub. It then lists 80hz, 90hz, 100hz, 110hz, 120hz, 150hz, 200hz, and 250 hz. Currently my setting is 120hz. First of all, what does LPF stand for? And, secondly, should mine be set to 120hz? (I'm assuming here that this is the upper frequency cutoff the for sub, right?) And, if my bass is still too heavy, shouldn't I back down this setting to 80hz, since that's the receiver's crossover setting? Comments please? Thanks!
LPF is low pass filter. You should set this to the highest frequency possible. Usually this is 250Hz. You would then adjust the crossover for your subwoofer to 80Hz leaving the LPF at 250

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
LPF is low pass filter. You should set this to the highest frequency possible. Usually this is 250Hz. You would then adjust the crossover for your subwoofer to 80Hz leaving the LPF at 250
Dave: Thanks for your response, but the only crossover adjustment on the sub itself is a "low'pass" xover and Audyssey sets the main xover for the sub @ 80hz in the receiver itself. So, should I adjust low pass settings both in the receiver and on the sub to 250hz? (Actually, on the sub itself, the low pass only goes to 120hz) And, will doing this help in ameliorating that "bass bulge?"

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dave: Thanks for your response, but the only crossover adjustment on the sub itself is a "low'pass" xover and Audyssey sets the main xover for the sub @ 80hz in the receiver itself. So, should I adjust low pass settings both in the receiver and on the sub to 250hz? (Actually, on the sub itself, the low pass only goes to 120hz) And, will doing this help in ameliorating that "bass bulge?"

Hi William, there are actually a few settings at play here. You must use them all to get this set up properly.

The first two are the settings of your subwoofer level and low pass filter on the subwoofer amplifier itself.

You want to set the low pass filter on the subwoofer to the highest possible frequency, basically crank that knob all the way clockwise. This is because your receiver is doing that work for the subwoofer and doesn't need to be done on the subwoofer itself. Leave volume alone for the moment.

On the receiver, there are three different settings. The first is the crossover. This is generally set by audyssey, and you want to ensure this is between 60 and 100Hz. 80 is most common. This is in the speaker config menu.

The second setting on your receiver is called LPF for LFE, and will be hidden in the Bass menu under Speaker Config. Assuming your main speakers are set to "small" with a crossover, this menu will be accessible. Set this to the highest possible frequency also.

Finally, the subwoofer's trim or level is set in the speaker config menu also, and should be adjusted such that your sub measures a test tone at 75dB on an SPL meter. You may have to adjust the volume knob on your sub also to get this set properly. It's also worth cycling through a test tone on your main speakers to ensure they measure at the same level as your sub. Set your SPL meter to "C-weighting" when doing this.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Dave: I can do the first three steps you have suggested: 1) Setting low pass on the sub to max, which is 120hz; 2) In the receiver, setting xover to 80hz (Audyssey takes care of that) and 3) Setting LPF for LFE to 250 hz in the receiver's set-up menu; however, that last step of manually adjusting sub level with an SPL meter, as far as I know will cancel out all the Audyssey settings, since the program doesn't allow for manually adjusting any speaker levels, unless one wishes to do an all manual setup instead. As I understand it now, however, in the latest version of Audyssey, "editing" of settings can be accomplished with an app, but I can't do that with my SR7007. One thing I CAN do, though, is to make sure the first 3 settings are accomplished and then "re-run" Audyssey set up, which in essence would balance out all the speaker level settings. I'm not sure though that everything will be set @ 75db by Audyssey, but all channels should be equal in level, at least. What do you think?
There is, however, one thing which I wonder about with all of this; and that is since low pass settings control the upper frequency limit of subwoofer reproduction, wouldn't higher LPF settings allow for more low frequencies to be reproduced by the sub, leading to more bass rather than less? Think "louder" .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You want to set the low pass filter on the subwoofer to the highest possible frequency,
Dave, the pics I've found of the sub all show that it has a crossover bypass switch. I mentioned and tried to explain several times how that works.

velodyne-spl-1200-2-subwoofer-rear-panel.jpg

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
OK, then, since the Direct setting bypasses BOTH the high pass and low pass xovers, then all I need to do is set the LPF for LFE in the receiver to 250hz, correct? But, then, I still don't see how this is going to make those low frequencies coming from the sub less pronounced.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
BTW, that is the same sub that I have, as shown in the photo.
@William Moore Audyssey does not stop you from editing speaker levels and settings manually - that is a common misconception. The two can coexist.

You should have a menu that lets you adjust levels and enable a test tone called "Manual Setup". Once you enter this section, you can adjust crossovers and levels (trims) manually. You want to start the test tone and match the level between your mains and subwoofer so things blend nicely - an SPL meter app on your phone works nicely.

1599069610633.png

Regarding the sub itself, @JohnRice has described it nicely. Set as shown in my image below, and adjust the volume knob if you're having a hard time getting the level of the sub to match your mains.

1599073109412.png

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, if the sub has the capability for a direct, LFE input, bypassing the sub's crossover by enabling "Subwoofer Direct" and connecting to the LFE input, why would you instead enable the crossover and then try to minimize it by setting it to the highest frequency?? I suspect you are misinterpreting the crossover switch settings. One of us is.

I am completely flummoxed.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Dave: On page 133 of the 7007 manual it states the following under Manual Setup: "If you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey Setup, it will NOT be possible to select Audyssey MultEQXT, Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume." Then, confusingly, the manual states "Manual Setup can be used without changing the settings. (huh?) Please set if necessary." What the hell does this mean???

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Well, I finally got my sub "under control" after reviewing suggestions from John and Dave plus conferring with Audyssey tech support, where I did learn, among other things, that the 120hz setting is correct for the LPF for LFE, since according to them, the LFE channel is mastered with a cutoff @ 120 hz and that there is no audio above that frequency. They also confirmed that is is possible to make level adjustments without "losing" the Audyssey settings. (thanks Dave) So I got out my trusty Radio Shack level meter, dusted it off, and took some level readings which proved to be more or less "spot on", including showing the sub to be running "hot." Since the level for the sub had already been set by Audyssey @ -12db, all I could do was to adjust the volume control on the sub, which I turned down to about 3.5, and "voila" (did I spell that right?), the sound was much better without that "bloated" bass. Audyssey techs also told me to turn off Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. They thought those settings might have been contributing to the problem. PS: I think that on some discs, those who master these things (especially previews) "goose up" the lows as well as the volume. I am always turning down those previews!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It was always my understanding that 120Hz is really the proper setting of LPF for LFE for exactly that reason. I guess there might be situations where you'd set it lower, but I have no idea why it would have options of setting higher.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It was always my understanding that 120Hz is really the proper setting of LPF for LFE for exactly that reason. I guess there might be situations where you'd set it lower, but I have no idea why it would have options of setting higher.
The answer to this is actually a little silly. Although the LFE channel should by spec only go up to 120hz, there is nothing stopping a mastering engineer from adding content above that frequency when doing the final mix. It certainly can't hurt anything to set it higher than 120 hz, while setting it lower is definitely bad. For that reason, I generally recommend setting it to the highest value possible just to be safe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks