What's new

Online or In store (1 Viewer)

NoahL

Auditioning
Obviously, the prices are cheaper online, in some cases over $200 cheaper (I'm looking at the PE-53TX). The guy at the local store was great, very knowledgeable, friendly, etc, but $200 is a lot of money.

Is there other items that I'm missing when comparing online vs. instore? i.e. warranty, return policies...

If the difference was closer to $100 I'd rather support the local guy for his time and effort

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
You have to be careful that they pay for the shipping if it needs to be returned for warranty work.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Most online stores are not authorized so if something goes wrong you are up **** creek. Most companies will NOT support unauthorized internet sales. I bought my previous receiver from a non-authorized dealer and had no problems with it thankfully. Great deals are to be had online, but just pray it doesn't break down on you.

The advantages of buying from B&M are: if you don't like it they will let you exchange it for something else, if something is wrong you can take it to them and mostly likely get a replacement while yours is fixed, and if you build a relationship with them then they are more likely to give you special pricing on products. In the end it comes down to what you can afford I guess.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Also note - when you're actually ready to spend $$$ at the local store, that's when they'll most be willing to move away from their asking price.

Most dealers don't like people shopping prices from other dealers so they won't give you a straight forward answer on the best they can do until they realize that you're no shopping for a price but actually ready to purchase a piece.

If the local dealer has his listed at MSRP, I'm sure you could probably wing it down to your goal of w/i $100 of internet pricing.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My local dealer has been great to me with lending me equipment, letting me take home speakers to audition (without even leaving a deposit) and giving me a deal when I had a defective receiver (traded for another brand similarly priced and upgraded my sub at no cost). I also got discounts on all my stuff. I probably would have saved more buying online (though none of my stuff is authorized online) but no way would I have gotten the service I've had. We're moving in a couple of days and I can truly say that I'll miss my dealer more than almost anything else.

Ian Alexander

Auditioning
Consider that the salespersons time is worth something. Whether that is worth $200 is up to you. Also consider that should you have questions after the sale, the salesperson should be there to help, too. They can be a great source of information regarding how to use features, hookups, etc.

If was very discouraging to me when I was selling equipment to spend an hour with a customer only to have them buy the product online. I even had customers come to me after they bought online looking for assistance.

For customers that bought equipment from me, I would go so far as to visit customers homes to help them set the equipment up correctly. On my own time at no charge. I believed in creating long term relationships with customers. In many cases it paid off.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My personal rule of thumb in regards to online purchases is if the purchase is more than $500.00, I prefer to purchase from the store. I know you can get some great deals on line on almost all equipment, but it's that one situation that requires repair or replacement that can really get your goat. I purchased my JVC 7600 online (ecost) and my speakers (audio advisor). I was pleased with both purchases and in fact one woofer went bad and audio advisor replaced it with out me sending the old one back. I was without a surround speaker for about 4 days. May not seem long in the scheme of things but I have to admit, if I purchased the speakers from an in store establishment I would have walked in with the bad speaker and walked out with the replacement (of course depending on the store policy and service plan purchased). When I bought my HK AVR 500 from Circuit City, I purchased a 5 year plan and I have about 2 years left. At this point with the new 7.1 receivers with prologic II I kind of wishing it will breakdown so that they can replace it with current model.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I more or less agree with Jerome - DEFINITELY at the price point you are looking at for a receiver, I'd buy local.

Ernest is right on the money too - if you are there to BUY, not just ask questions, they are likely to be more willing to negotiate.

My dealer is also very good about letting me try out gear at home. I pre-ordered my new receiver which was delayed, and I was without one for a week or so, so they gave me one of their floor models to use until mine came in.

If your speaker was a current model...if not, you may have waited much longer than 4 days for a repair/replacement.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Good points John, I am familiar with the fine print of the service plan and yes they must make the attempt to repair it first, and as to the speakers, I lucked out but I think the fact that you are in the store my game plan would of course see if they have the exact speaker as a replacement but if not available then I would bring back both speakers and seek a replacement at least. Never hurts to try which I think is another point in favor of in store purchases as oppose to online purchases.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is in some cases, where the shop may not be the best place or doesn't want to deal with you. GOOD dealers will take care of you. If you are a good customer, they may be much more willing to work with you. A friend of mine bought some Paradigm Studios from this same dealer, and 1 full year out of warranty, he blew a tweeter. They took care of it at no cost (though he did have to wait a week for the replacement to come in).

Winfred.S

Agent
I don't have a problem purchasing from an online store as long as I know they are reputable.

I bought my pre/pro and amp from a store I found online ~ $6,000

Mike J LeBlanc

Auditioning
I picked up the VSX-53TX here unitedonlineshopping.com
and they provide the same warranty as those of the manufacturers' through their store.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The dealer can offer you many things that an online store can. The warranty is only the beginning. Your dealer can offer helpful advice, allow you to audition in-home, and negotiation can bring the price in closer...

Establishing a reputation with a dealer in the long run may be advantageous...the more you buy, the more they can wiggle, and remember that you can't buy *everything* online...

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
When I start to purchase hi-end HT gear, I plan on doing it from local dealers - if they are willing to be helpful.

I am willing to pay an extra $100 or so on a $1000 piece of gear and know all the service I will get.

Also, I know some dealers will drop off a few pairs of speakers at your house, you audiotion them in your house with your gear, and you keep what you like or send them all back! Try THAT on the internet.

And, if you have a friendly local dealer, they will go out of business if you don't buy stuff from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks