What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Once upon a time, there were two ... geniuses (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I second that as even though I don't think this is overall a great movie, it is an extremely well thought out visual experience on an artistic level that is totally ruined by the lousy old transfer that is now available. This film needs a pristine image to give it real relevance and for the sake of future film lovers. I'm not so concerned about Raintree County as I feel it's a very mediocre film and poor adaption of a great novel that would best be made into a HBO series that could actually present the story as written. The 2+ hour version is not enough to contain this novel. It of course needs to be restored to the best version that is possible.
One could also say that The Greatest Story Ever told is a poor adaptation of a great book :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don’t believe the roadshow of 80 has been seen in aeons.
Not in color at least. I saw one reddish / pink 70mm 30 fps print and the weird 34mm 30 fps version some ten to 15 years ago and it would be nice if we could put the color, the 30 fps and the resolution together again in a splendid Blu-ray or even better in a UHD release. For a movie that is half travelogue with many stunning vistas a UHD release seems appropriate if they go for a full restoration.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
The DVD of AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS is pretty much the complete roadshow version. I would vote for RAINTREE COUNTY as that has not been released on DVD, the best version was shown on TCM but, it's cropped (not the full 2.76 AR), and about 160 minutes (roadshow was 188 minutes).
SURELY RAINTREE AND AROUND THE WORLD ARE STRONG ENOUGH TITLES TO WARRANT MORE ACTION ...THESE OLDER CLASSICS HAVE A RAPIDLY REDUCING POTENTIAL AUDIENCE ....TIME IS RUNNING OUT AS NETFLIX AND THE STREAMING DEVICES SERIES ARE TAKING HOLD ON MODERN AUDIENCES .....

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Film Forum in NYC has announced a Montgomery Clift retrospective beginning June 5th. It was posted today on their Facebook page. 'Raintree County' is among the films scheduled, though info re: dates, running time, format etc. are forthcoming.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This Wednesday
1927E8B8-6EA6-4F9B-8C04-6D83FCB1D176.jpeg

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I guess I should add CAN CAN to my wish list, even more unlikely given its current ownership. I was distressed to see the same weird color fluctuations on the recent TCM broadcast that exist on the old DVD. Too bad TCM didn't include the DVD's disclaimer about how this was sourced from the best available elements.
And...also from Fox - Star! with Julie Andrews. A must have disc. Pretty please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks