What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Huh? If Strohmaier is now an employee of Warner Bros., that's news to me.

By the way, my wish list was based not on ownership, but solely on the fact that Strohmaier and his colleagues have achieved cost-effective miracles with problematic large format productions using off-the-shelf software. With I believe two exceptions, their projects were NOT Warner Bros. properties.

I assume their projects could be ported onto DCPs and maybe even printed back onto "fillum".

You said in your first post - "I know that David Strohmaier has pretty much finished working on all of the Cinerama films, but I wish Warner Bros. would send him raw scans of whatever they have for RAINTREE COUNTY, AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS, and any other problematic large format productions they own, and let him and Tom March work their magic once again in their home offices so that Blu-Ray releases could be feasible"

Dave is not an employee of Warner Bros. All of his work on Digitally restoring films has been with Cinerama Inc. The Wonderful of the Brothers Grim was half owned by Warner Brothers and Cinerama Inc. If Warner is happy with the sales of Grimm, maybe they might be interested in having him restore other titles they have.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
You said in your first post - "I know that David Strohmaier has pretty much finished working on all of the Cinerama films, but I wish Warner Bros. would send him raw scans of whatever they have for RAINTREE COUNTY, AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS, and any other problematic large format productions they own, and let him and Tom March work their magic once again in their home offices so that Blu-Ray releases could be feasible"

Dave is not an employee of Warner Bros. All of his work on Digitally restoring films has been with Cinerama Inc. The Wonderful of the Brothers Grim was half owned by Warner Brothers and Cinerama Inc. If Warner is happy with the sales of Grimm, maybe they might be interested in having him restore other titles they have.
Not sure how my first post implied that he couldn't work on other company's films, as he indeed did for Cinerama and he theoretically could do for MGM, Disney, and anyone else. Your comment that "They are not with WB so David Strohmaier would not be involved with restoring them." suggests that he couldn't work elsewhere.

In any event, I do fully agree with your last sentence, and hope that the success of GRIMM leads to more cost effective restorations.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Not sure how my first post implied that he couldn't work on other company's films, as he indeed did for Cinerama and he theoretically could do for MGM, Disney, and anyone else. Your comment that "They are not with WB so David Strohmaier would not be involved with restoring them." suggests that he couldn't work elsewhere.

In any event, I do fully agree with your last sentence, and hope that the success of GRIMM leads to more cost effective restorations.

Not that he couldn't but why would any other studio than Warner contact him to do restorations? Dave already has a relationship with Warner. I don't think any other studio would contact him or Dave contact them. I guess we will just have to wait and see if that happens.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I think if Mr. Strohmaier agrees to do anymore film work, for he is retired and enjoying that life, it would be with Warners. I hope so, but I also respect his decision to live a care free life as retired. Go for it Dave.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The DVD of AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS is pretty much the complete roadshow version. I would vote for RAINTREE COUNTY as that has not been released on DVD, the best version was shown on TCM but, it's cropped (not the full 2.76 AR), and about 160 minutes (roadshow was 188 minutes).
Is the roadshow footage extant?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I think if Mr. Strohmaier agrees to do anymore film work, for he is retired and enjoying that life, it would be with Warners. I hope so, but I also respect his decision to live a care free life as retired. Go for it Dave.
As a retiree myself, I highly recommend that lifestyle. LOL

Having said that, I hope Mr. Strohmaier has an apprentice or two to carry on the brilliant work he achieved.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I don’t believe the roadshow of 80 has been seen in aeons.
I sure seems that long since I saw it on New Year's Eve 1957. I was 11 and it had been playing at the Coronet in San Francisco for just over a year. I still have some visual memories of some bits of that showing. (Next time in that theatre was 20 years later to see Star Wars.)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I sure seems that long since I saw it on New Year's Eve 1957. I was 11 and it had been playing at the Coronet in San Francisco for just over a year. I still have some visual memories of some bits of that showing. (Next time in that theatre was 20 years later to see Star Wars.)

12/26/57
coronet122657.jpg

10/18/58
coronet101858.jpg

Last edited:

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Eddie Fisher in one of his bios(there was more than one right?)writes about Todd and him and the world premiere engagement of 80 Days at the Rivoli.

And what blows my mind is that according to Todd's son test footage of Todd AO was taken of the NY City Ballet. As someone who is not a balletomane but was going to City Ballet constantly in the late 70s to early 80s(like a drug addict who couldn't get enough) seeing Balanchine ballets rehearsed by him with his dancers the idea that it was captured during the golden era of the 50s on Todd AO film stock is astonishing. I wrote to somebody who worked under Balanchine and posts a lot of historic videos of the company about this and he never responded. I wonder if it still exists somewhere.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Eddie Fisher in one of his bios(there was more than one right?)writes about Todd and him and the world premiere engagement of 80 Days at the Rivoli.

And what blows my mind is that according to Todd's son test footage of Todd AO was taken of the NY City Ballet. As someone who is not a balletomane but was going to City Ballet constantly in the late 70s to early 80s(like a drug addict who couldn't get enough) seeing Balanchine ballets rehearsed by him with his dancers the idea that it was captured during the golden era of the 50s on Todd AO film stock is astonishing. I wrote to somebody who worked under Balanchine and posts a lot of historic videos of the company about this and he never responded. I wonder if it still exists somewhere.
Check with LoC.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
The one epic I would love to see in its full Ultra Panavision AR is The Fall of the Roman Empire. But I don't think we'll ever see that since even the 70mm release prints were cropped.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The one epic I would love to see in its full Ultra Panavision AR is The Fall of the Roman Empire. But I don't think we'll ever see that since even the 70mm release prints were cropped.

They were flat 2.2 AR 70mm prints as I don't think any theatre could show 2.76 except Cinerama theatres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Earlbear
Recent bookmarks