What's new

Once Upon A Time In America DVD (1 Viewer)

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

Great article. I really enjoy reading your pieces and appreciate the links you provide to those of us who are don't live in MN.

Glad to see that this film is getting more attention. You certainly deserve credit for bringing it to the attention of your readers.

Thanks.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
could fans of this film do me a favor?
just a few words on what makes it'great' to you.

i've seen it once before (i believe it one of the subsequent attempts at reconstruction-not the original studio edited job) and it didn't seem like anything special to me.

reading the articles and posts about it, my interest in giving it another shot is piqued, but i'm still a little on the fence.
i just want to know what what it is about the film that resonates with YOU.
that way, if i do pick it up and still can't get into it, i can try to see it thru someone elses eyes.

thanks

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
As recommended by Digital Bits and the members here, I just picked this one up, sight unseen at Best Buy for $17.49.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
could fans of this film do me a favor?
just a few words on what makes it'great' to you.

i've seen it once before (i believe it one of the subsequent attempts at reconstruction-not the original studio edited job) and it didn't seem like anything special to me.

reading the articles and posts about it, my interest in giving it another shot is piqued, but i'm still a little on the fence.
i just want to know what what it is about the film that resonates with YOU.
that way, if i do pick it up and still can't get into it, i can try to see it thru someone elses eyes.

thanks
My first experience with OUATIA was around 1985 when the edited version ( 2 hours plus) of the film (I'll call this the U.S. version) wound up on cable. I thought it was entertaining, but felt it was narratively awkward. Again, this was the linear "hack job" edit of the film.

Jump forward to the mid-1990s and I rent the full 3 hour 40 minute (or so) on laserdisc (I'll call this the int'l version). To say it was a revelation is an understatement. The narrative's hallucinatory, non-linear, ghostly nostalgic symmetry is now intact and reveals many of my reservations with the linear U.S. edit. In one of the most amazing sequnces ever assembled on film, a very important phone call is represented on film by a constant ringing. It rings, and rings, and rings, and several different sequences and timeframes are tied to the ringing. Absolutley awesome.

The film is an intensely introspective experience, from the main character's perspective, and the disquieting emotional torment of regret and nostalgia has been known to turn off some viewers. It is very raw, and some scenes are deeply disturbing (I'm not just talking about violence).

For me, the film is in many ways a ghost story. It has the appeal and longing of ghostly memories that we choose to bask in, like the opium Noodles disappears into. For a brief moment the potential is there, like the ringing phone. And no matter how long you choose to drag it out, reality will eventually come crashing back in.

These are just a few thoughts before I watch the film on DVD tonite, after a 5 year moratorium wherein I vowed *not* to re-watch the laserdisc or buy into the Brazilian DVD that's been out for some time.

It's a movie you need to be in the mood for. At nearly 4 hours, that may be asking a lot, but I'm looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe.

Cheers,

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I posted the following under the Robert Harris thread, but thought I'd repost here because there is so much confusion about the additional two minutes running time.

There seems to be so much confusion about the two extra minutes and so many people THINK they know this film and apparently don't. There are NO additional shots of violence, they were all there in the original "long" version released on VHS and laserdisc. What was NOT in any "long" version ever shown in the United States was the flashback at the end of the film (during the penultimate scene between DeNiro and Woods). In fact, the only time I'd ever seen that scene prior to this DVD was on a videotape of the Japanese release (which itself was only 204 minutes, shorn mostly of sex and violence). The film is not quite the same without the flashback and I have often been baffled why it was left out of all the previous releases of the US "long" version. It was always meant to be there and is, in fact, in the script, which I have a copy of. I think that the flashback comprises the entirety of the two additional minutes - I don't believe there are any extra shots save for that sequence.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bruce, thank you for putting my mind at rest. I just finished watching it and for the life of me, I didn't remember that sequence being there before. I'm not sure I agree with you that it helps the film. It seems a little over done for me.

Paul Scott,
Fortunately, I have never seen the 2 hour version, but I have seen it on AMC, where it was still cut enough to nearly destroy it.

There are many things about America that I love. In one way, it simply draws me in and gets under my skin in a way very few films do. At the end, I am always surprised how involved I have become with the characters and how I am moved by the tangle of their lives.

Another is the strong ambiguity of the story. For 20 years there have been arguments over whether any of it really happened, what really happened and so on. I like running various possibilities through my mind and always find a new way to perceive it each time I see it.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
finally got to see this morning and wow absolutely brilliant.

I thought Arnon Milchan's comments in hindsight about opening the movie in selected theatres was a bit of a copout. Especially as the movie was almost edited straight after the Cannes Showing in 1984.

His next movie that he produced was Legend, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Tom Cruise. As we all know now, this movie has seen its share of edits and cuts as well

Legend on the r1 dvd has the European & US version with both different soundtracks. Nonetheless a very good movie indeed.

Felix

I share your comments about the ringing of the phonecall as well. At first you're wondering what is going on by the constant ringing, when it actually reveals much of the plot.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Was in heaven last night.

I only noticed one difference from the 2 tape version I have.The one already mentioned - (without spoiling anything)the flashback at the end of the film.

The break from Part 1 and Part 2 is different as well.

I never get tired of seeing(not watching)this film. I think its amazing. This is fantastic filmaking and I dont think Ive seen anything like it since. It belongs up there with some of the greatest ever like 2001,Seven Samurai,The Godfather and Apocalypse Now

THANK YOU WB. The pic and sound on this disc was great!

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just saw it last night. One word.

Wow.

I posted some audio/video quality observations over at the thread on Robert Harris' recent column to get his feedback. Curious what everyone thought as well.

Oscar -

Milchan also produced Gilliam's Brazil about a year later - another alternate edit travesty! What a coincidence! In fact, wouldn't it have been amazing to have a third disc including the U.S. edit of OUATIA? I would love to have that, just as I adore the "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil in the Criterion set. It's just fascinating to see how a film is altered by editing.

John -

For 20 years there have been arguments over whether any of it really happened, what really happened and so on
The only awkward sequences in OUATIA I have a bit of trouble with, even in the long version, are Joe Pesci's final appearance by the elevators (seemed like there was yet another subplot missing here to close out Pesci's "Frankie" character), and the only ineffective (for me) transition between timeframes - when the film shifts to the Bailey Foundation and we see Carol and hear her quick, non-sync dialogue explanation for Noodles (and our) benefit. The non-sync explanatory dialogue made me feel that sequence was assembled in a way other than originally intended (I may be wrong). Just seemed to be an awkward, rushed sequence for such a significant meeting between Noodles and Carol.

Cheers,

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Personally I HATE the opium dream theory

I dont get that at all from this film. Theres nothing to make me think thats what it is. It ruins alot of the sympathy and tragedy of how things tunr out for these characters.

Matt Brighton

Stunt Coordinator
There's a review for it at my site...

here

I was told not to post links to my review, but considering that someone in this thread asked if there were any reviews up, I figure it's ok. If not, I won't do it anymore...

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks