What's new

Once Upon A Time In America DVD (1 Viewer)

RyanWard

Auditioning
This DVD is coming out in eight days...I was hoping that someone on this forum has gotten ahold of a copy in advance. I'd love to see some screenshots, if possible. So, anyone have it?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I still can't believe there aren't more reviews on some of the bigger DVD sites (DVD File, DVDMG, etc.) of this title (I've been saying this a lot lately).

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
There are so many big titles coming out, Dave, that it's hard for any reviewer/site to keep up. Once Upon a Time in America also was the last of Warner's major June 10 releases (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Right Stuff, Giant) to go out to reviewers. Both factors are surely affecting the quickness with which a review can be turned around for this title, which is still more than a week away from release.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm expecting my copy tomorrow - wednesday at the latest! Ooh! :D

The Chud.com review is very positive (and amusing :laugh: / never visited that site before, cheers, Jeff! :emoji_thumbsup:) and I really can't wait to absorb the beautful grandeur of this film ahain.

Gordy

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Nice that Mr Harris addresses the "break point" on the dvd.

IIRC, the PAL VHS video versions of the unrated cut had the break point just after the car splashing into the water

Although this has nothing to do with "original intent" or things like that, I hope the disc change is still at the same point. ;)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
True, but there should be priorities when titles of such stature are released. There's a lot of cheese getting reviewed, dutifully, ontime. You'd think that reviewers would be scrapping over who will be first.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
True, but there should be priorities when titles of such stature are released. There's a lot of cheese getting reviewed, dutifully, ontime. You'd think that reviewers would be scrapping over who will be first.
One man's cheese is another man's... I dunno, really high class cheese? :D

I can't speak for others, but many, many factors influence what DVDs I review and when I review them. Length of the movie, whether I've reviewed a prior version (which makes it easier to do a new article), the number of extras... It's not always as simple as what's "high profile" and what's "cheese".

Anyway, for many people, America really isn't that high-profile a title. Of the four titles from WB that come out 6/10, it was at the bottom of my list - I was much more interested in the other three. I'm reviewing America but it simply wasn't a high priority for me...

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Colin,

You offer many fine points. I speak, principally, as an uninformed person, and on an emotional basis. It's easy to lose perspective with passage of time. There must be zillions of people out there who care not one wit about the film.

Still, it's unsettling at times, when a rather hollow (read cheese) film that does big box office, gets a grand DVD send-off, and fine, even classic works don't get the attention (or, perhaps re-attention *new word*) that they deserve. Perhaps the unknowing public should become educated about the existence of such works. Isn't that part of what critics and reviewers do?

Thanks for your response to my statement.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Still, it's unsettling at times, when a rather hollow (read cheese) film that does big box office, gets a grand DVD send-off, and fine, even classic works don't get the attention (or, perhaps re-attention *new word*) that they deserve. Perhaps the unknowing public should become educated about the existence of such works. Isn't that part of what critics and reviewers do?
Sure. Nonetheless, there's also the bottom line issue. Many more readers will want to see opinions about Daredevil than America, so we need to give them what they want. If all we do is try to push obscure titles on them and ignore the other ones, they'll tell us to sod off and that'll be it for the site. Gotta balance the two, which I think most sites do.

In any case, I suspect the main reason reviews of America haven't appeared is simply because the screeners didn't arrive until last week. I suspect that by next week, a fair number will be on-line...

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Colin,

Once again, your point is well stated. I'm certainly not arguing with you, simply stating a counterpoint.

By the way, have you read Robert Harris' words concerning the film and the DVD? There's a worthwhile link in an above post if you haven't done so. As a well stated case in point, the article informs from another, more learned source, the true scope and worth of the film with regards to its place in the history of cinema. The film (DVD) certainly deserves plenty of attention and focus. Surely that will come. Pleasure exchanging thoughts on the subject with you.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Once again, your point is well stated. I'm certainly not arguing with you, simply stating a counterpoint.
Just wanted to mention I wasn't trying to argue - sorry if it came across that way. I was just attempting to illustrate some of the reasons why these reviews might not have made it on-line yet...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
out of the 4 wb dvds that came out, Once Upon A Time in America is the most important for me.

Gordy, have you received yours ? mine has not arrived yet

:D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Mine arrived this morning! :D

I haven't spun the discs yet, though. I'll probably watch the film tonight.

I love this film.

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks