What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Elvis (2022) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“Austin Butler is stellar, truly, a star is born here.”

Jim Vejvoda, IGN

“A dazzling, splatter-paint evocation of the myth and the man.”

Joshua Rothkopf, Entertainment Weekly

ELVIS_WW_4KOSLV_FINALSKEW_2D_1000781015_19ecffee[2].JPEG ELVIS_WW_BDOSLV_FINALSKEW_2D_1000780960_71625690[2].JPEG

Baz Luhrmann’s

“ELVIS”

COMES HOME FROM

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Premium Digital Ownership

debuts early on August 9

4K, Blu-ray™ and DVD arrive on September 13

Burbank, CA, August 2 – Experience an epic exploration of the life and music of Elvis Presley when “Elvis” arrives for Premium Digital Ownership at home on August 9. The film is directed by Baz Luhrmann from a screenplay by Luhrmann & Sam Bromell and Luhrmann & Craig Pearce and Jeremy Doner, based on a story by Luhrmann & Craig Pearce and Jeremy Doner, and stars Austin Butler (“The Dead Don’t Die,” “Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood”) and Tom Hanks (“Saving Private Ryan,” “Forrest Gump”). The film will also be available on 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD beginning on September 13.

• On August 9, “Elvis” will be available for early Premium Digital Ownership at home for $24.99 and for 48-hour rental via PVOD for $19.99 SRP on participating digital platforms where you purchase movies.
  • On September 13, “Elvis” will be available on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD. “Elvis” will also continue to be available to own in high definition and standard definition from participating digital retailers.

Elvis” will also be available on Movies Anywhere. Using the free Movies Anywhere app and website, consumers can access all their eligible movies by connecting their Movies Anywhere account with their participating digital retailer accounts.

SYNOPSIS

A thoroughly cinematic drama, Elvis’s (Austin Butler) story is seen through the prism of his complicated relationship with his enigmatic manager, Colonel Tom Parker (Tom Hanks). As told by Parker, the film delves into the complex dynamic between the two spanning over 20 years, from Presley’s rise to fame to his unprecedented stardom, against the backdrop of the evolving cultural landscape and loss of innocence in America. Central to that journey is one of the significant and influential people in Elvis’s life, Priscilla Presley (Olivia DeJonge).

DIGITAL, 4K & BLU-RAYELEMENTS

“Elvis” Premium Digital Ownership contains the following special features:

• Bigger Than Life: The Making of ELVIS
  • Rock ‘N Roll Royalty: The Music & Artists Behind ELVIS
  • Fit for a King; The Style of ELVIS
  • Viva Australia: Recreating Iconic Locations for ELVIS
  • “Trouble” Lyric Video

“Elvis” 4K UHD combo pack and Blu-ray contain the following special features:

• Bigger Than Life: The Making of ELVIS
  • Rock ‘N Roll Royalty: The Music & Artists Behind ELVIS
  • Fit for a King; The Style of ELVIS
  • Viva Australia: Recreating Iconic Locations for ELVIS
  • “Trouble” Lyric Video

BASICS

PRODUCT SRP

4K UHD Combo Pack $29.99

Blu-ray $24.99

DVD $19.99

Digital Ownership: August 9, 2022

PVOD: August 9, 2022

4K, Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: September 13, 2022

DVD Languages: Canadian French, English, Latin Spanish

BD Languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Canadian French, English, Latin Spanish

4K Languages: Canadian French, English, , Latin Spanish

DVD Subtitles: Canadian French, English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French

BD Subtitles: Brazilian Portuguese, Canadian French, English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French

4K Subtitles: Swedish, Latin Spanish, Norwegian, Parisian French, Canadian French, Finnish, Danish, English SDH

Running Time: 159 minutes

Rating: Rated PG-13 for substance abuse, strong language, suggestive material and smoking

DVD: DLBY/DGTL

Blu-ray: ATMOS TrueHD

4K: ATMOS TrueHD

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Updated to include today's official press release from Warner Bros.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wondering if it's worth buying this blindly. I love Baz, but it didn't get exceptional reviews given the fact it glossed over a lot of Elvis' career.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you have HBO Max, it will stream there a month before the disc comes out so you can see it there first to decide if it’s worth owning.

These days, my only blind buys are for the select few titles that aren’t available for streaming through a subscription or rental, like the very old catalog titles that Kino puts out. All of these new releases stream readily either as part of subscriptions I already have or are very cheap to rent - I no longer see the value in paying $30 for something I might watch once.

All of that said, I didn’t dislike the movie but it didn’t really connect with me and I doubt I’ll watch it again. What I didn’t love about the movie wasn’t so much that it only touched the broad strokes of his life (there’s only so much story that can be told in two hours) but the way the film didn’t seem to give any agency to Elvis over his life choices. Things just happen to Elvis in the movie almost as if it were all inevitable and he had nothing to do with any of it. The film has him as a passive participant in his own life.

I think the truth is more complicated than that but the film doesn’t allow for the perspective that sometimes Elvis made terrible life choices. It wasn’t inevitable that he had multiple affairs; he chose to do it. It wasn’t inevitable that he became a drug addict; he made a choice not to acknowledge that prescription drugs were drugs too and surrounded himself with people who were willing to reinforce that delusion. Tom Parker was a horrendous human being, but Elvis didn’t take responsibility for his continued decision to keep him in his employ. I didn’t love the way the film acted as if all of these things just happened to Elvis as if they were all preordained instead of giving him some responsibility for making poor choices. If you take the movie’s word for it, it seems Elvis was a guy who would do anything that anyone else said without any responsibility for his choices.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wondering if it's worth buying this blindly. I love Baz, but it didn't get exceptional reviews given the fact it glossed over a lot of Elvis' career.
From what I've read, it's worth watching for Austin Butler's performance alone. I think I'll give it a shot, although I may wait until the digital price drops a bit and pick it up that way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you Josh and Doug!

I didn't know that HBO MAX would be showing this a month prior to release.

It's a great decision and a bad one as far as I'm concerned.

Great for the fact I can watch it on HBO as part of my subscription. Bad for the fact that it will probably deter me from buying the disc. I would have bought the disc blindly. After seeing it on HBO, probably won't do that.

Not sure why the studios want to sabotage disc sales by releasing titles on streaming services prior to release. I understood it during Covid but I figured that practice would stop by now.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thank you Josh and Doug!

I didn't know that HBO MAX would be showing this a month prior to release.

It's a great decision and a bad one as far as I'm concerned.

Great for the fact I can watch it on HBO as part of my subscription. Bad for the fact that it will probably deter me from buying the disc. I would have bought the disc blindly. After seeing it on HBO, probably won't do that.

Not sure why the studios want to sabotage disc sales by releasing titles on streaming services prior to release. I understood it during Covid but I figured that practice would stop by now.
Both HBO Max and Disney+ have been doing this quite regularly this year, but they are also making the film available to own digitally on the same day the film arrives on their subscription service. so Elvis will very likely be on HBO Max next week, very much like the fact that Disney/Pixar's Lightyear will be available that same day on Disney+ as well as for purchase on services like Vudu and Apple TV.

BTW - 9/13 is looking to be a big day for physical media releases: Elvis, Lightyear and Real Genius all street on 4K Blu-ray that day, with more likely to be officially announced.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

The disc sale revenue is so minimal compared to subscription streaming revenue that I think it’s financially more sensible to prioritize the one that’s bringing in the money. The fewer discs that are selling these days, in many cases are being bought by people who won’t stream no matter what, so I don’t think the early streaming really hurts the disc sales all that much. Warner would rather you give them $15 each month for HBO Max than giving Amazon or Walmart $20 a couple times a year for one of their discs.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Warner would rather you give them $15 each month for HBO Max than giving Amazon or Walmart $20 a couple times a year for one of their discs.
But is that how the market is actually working? With the a-la-cart subscription model that streaming services use, I'm not giving HBO Max fifteen bucks every month. If they have content I want to watch, I'll buy a month, watch the programming that interests me, then cancel my subscription. I may not re-subscribe for months or perhaps even a year. This means that I'm "buying" HBO Max in exactly the same way that you describe disc sales. I can only speak for myself, but I really don't think I'm in the minority in managing my subscription services like this.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm almost positive that the HBO Max release date will be the same as the August 8 digital ownership date. This is what WB did with The Batman and The Secrets of Dumbledore earlier this year, so it appears to be their pattern. (Todd beat me to saying this while I was still typing this post.)

WB has said that as a company policy, their films will be available on HBO Max after a 45-day theatrical window. They've been releasing stuff on there on day 46.

They have been very clear that they see HBO Max as key to the future of the company. I don't think they see it as undermining disc sales, although I understand why it looks that way. The people who really want to buy it are going to buy it anyway. Their subscription base would probably just wait for HBO Max anyway, so they don't really lose much by getting it on there as soon as possible. If some people who might otherwise do a digital rental can be convinced to sign up for HBO Max for a month instead, that's really good for them. In that case, they've got new subscribers sampling the service who might find they want to stick around.

I can only speak for myself, but I really don't think I'm in the minority in managing my subscription services like this.
You're not the only one. WB is happy to take your money anytime you want to give it to them. If Elvis (or really any marquee new release) attracts new people to HBO Max, some of them will cancel. But some of them will look around what else is there because they paid it for a month already and then find reasons to stay subscribed.

As for Elvis specifically, I liked the movie when I saw it in theaters and would certainly recommend seeing it. Austin Butler is phenomenal in it. But I'm really not sure how much replay value it would have to me.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But is that how the market is actually working?

Who knows. Very well, it seems. A few years ago pre-covid subscription streaming had already eclipsed physical media sales in a major ways - subscription revenue was something like ten times more than physical disc sales.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You're not the only one. WB is happy to take your money anytime you want to give it to them. If Elvis (or really any marquee new release) attracts new people to HBO Max, some of them will cancel. But some of them will look around what else is there because they paid it for a month already and then find reasons to stay subscribed.
Or like myself, keep forgetting to cancel... :oops:

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
After seeing this big budget spectacular, I got the urge to explore a lot of Elvis content already released on disc aside from his movies.
The best biography that I found is from 2017. It is nearly 4 hour long and in 2 parts. It is called 'Elvis Presley the Searcher" and the entire film is presented in 2.35!
There are no talking heads and the narrative is provided by those who knew Elvis or are major performers in their own right. Much more time is spent flushing out the turning points in Elvis's life and a lot of it is in his own words and perfectly restored vocal performances. Lots of never before seen footage from rather primitive 8mm sources, but that adds to the authenticity.
Only available in DVD in the US, but the UK has a deluxe region B Blu ray with a musical highlight CD included.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-050441~2.png
    Screenshot_20220804-050441~2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 45

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After seeing this big budget spectacular, I got the urge to explore a lot of Elvis content already released on disc aside from his movies.
The best biography that I found is from 2017. It is nearly 4 hour long and in 2 parts. It is called 'Elvis Presley the Searcher" and the entire film is presented in 2.35!
There are no talking heads and the narrative is provided by those who knew Elvis or are major performers in their own right. Much more time is spent flushing out the turning points in Elvis's life and a lot of it is in his own words and perfectly restored vocal performances. Lots of never before seen footage from rather primitive 8mm sources, but that adds to the authenticity.
Only available in DVD in the US, but the UK has a deluxe region B Blu ray with a musical highlight CD included.

Apparently, this is available to watch on HBO MAX. Will look for it later today.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, well, well.

Warner Bros. has decided not to put Elvis on HBO Max next week after all. This is a strategic shift by the new regime running the studio. The "HBO Max gets the movie on day #46" policy was instituted by Jason Kilar, who made the call to do the simultaneous releases for 2021 films. He is no longer with the company since Discovery bought Warner, and the new regime is doing things differently. It looks like they are going to have a window for the premium rentals and perhaps the disc too before it winds up on the service.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Given the box office success of Baz's Elvis movie and popularity of the Blu Ray on Amazon, I am hoping that someone finally gives the go ahead for the Blu Ray or 4K UHD release of Elvis's 1957 film "Loving You" which was shot in VistaVision. Its never got a high definition release. Lionsgate released a DVD more than a decade ago but with all the recent mergers I'm not sure who has the home video rights now. I believe NBC purchased it from Paramount. Musical numbers in this film are great.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Given the box office success of Baz's Elvis movie and popularity of the Blu Ray on Amazon, I am hoping that someone finally gives the go ahead for the Blu Ray or 4K UHD release of Elvis's 1957 film "Loving You" which was shot in VistaVision. Its never got a high definition release. Lionsgate released a DVD more than a decade ago but with all the recent mergers I'm not sure who has the home video rights now. I believe NBC purchased it from Paramount. Musical numbers in this film are great.

It *almost* was released by Twilight Time a few years ago.

The issue is the music rights. It's exorbitant. I think so much so it became an issue for the distributor.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

If NBC purchased it from Paramount, then I would assume Universal would be the one to release it on BD, if not for the music rights issue that Ronald mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks