What's new

Once in a lifetime (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Watching Michael Johnson set the 200m world record (still current) at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.

Shoot, the Olympics in general fit the bill, but this was my favorite moment.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Careful about the raw eggs. I understand that in the U.S., 80% of the eggs are infected with Salmonella. Given that high rate, you can imagine the infection rate of the chickens...
Raw eggs can kill you...those crazy meat industry execs don't give a damn. :)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
What are they? I know 6 of the ancient world don't exist anymore
Like I said, that one will be hard :D
Only because you asked, I got this from a website. As you can see there are more than 7 natural wonders and I guess somebody also decided that these new modern wonders replaced the original 7? I have done about a quarter of these combined so I have my work cut out for me. :)
Modern Wonders
The Channel Tunnel
The Clock Tower (Big Ben) in London, England
The CN Tower in Toronto, Canada
Eiffel Tower in Paris, France
The Empire State Building in New York City, USA
The Gateway Arch in St. Louis, USA
The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, USA
The High Dam in Aswan, Egypt
Hoover Dam in Arizona/Nevada, USA
Itaipú Dam in Brazil/Paraguay
Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota, USA
The Panama Canal
The Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Statue of Cristo Redentor in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Statue of Liberty in New York City, USA
The Suez Canal in Egypt
The Sydney Opera House in Australia
Natural Wonders
Angel Falls in Venezuela
The Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia, Canada
The Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA
The Great Barrier Reef in Australia
Iguaçú Falls in Brazil/Argentina
Krakatoa Island in Indonesia
Mount Everest in Nepal
Mount Fuji in Japan
Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
Niagara Falls in Ontario (Canada) and New York State (USA)
Paricutin Volcano in Mexico
Victoria Falls in Zambia/Zimbabwe

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
• the Apollo 11 lunar landing and watching Neil Armstrong's subsequent steps onto the surface

• seeing The Beatles live and in person among thousands of screaming fans (the sound was obliterating)

• seeing the Apollo 15 launch live and in person

• something I cannot mention

• The Beatles: February 9, 1964

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Of the things mentioned previous, I have done/seen two.

I've been there - done that - on the Times Square NYC New Years Eve festivities. HIGHLY overrated, unless you like standing in the freezing cold warding off pickpockets and nowhere near a beer. Give me an indoor bar with a ton of single hotties over NYC Times Square any year.

As for the other one...Anyone who has ever golfed should pay whatever it takes to get into Augusta and the Masters. I went to the first round in 1989 and I have never gotten chills and gooseflesh like I did at Augusta. It is almost like walking inside a living painting...it's that marvelous. It's unlike any golf course you have ever seen and you can almost feel the ghosts of Hogan, Jones and now Sneed walking alongside you. I've seen some beautiful golf courses in my time, but Augusta is head and shoulders apart from all the rest.

My list?
I would love to attend a party at the Playboy Mansion or one of those post Oscar bashes..but probably the Playboy one.
I would love to take the wheel of any super sports car (Lambourghini, Ferrari, etc.) on a closed course race track.
Skydiving (except for my fear of heights).
Attend a Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas.
Jazzfest in New Orleans
Pro Football, Hockey and Baseball Hall of Fames (the Basketball one has been accomplished).
Visit all the major North American cities I have yet to experience...Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Houston, Phoenix, Denver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Miami, Charlotte, etc.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the 7 ancient man-made wonders of the world, saw this on a PBS show tonight on Chinese history. According to the show (the name of which escapes me now), the people who put the list together (apparently in Europe) weren't aware of the Great Wall, which was on the other side of the planet. Otherwise, the Great Wall would make the list of ancient man-made wonders. Afterall, it is still the only man-made structure visible from the moon. So, in a way, my list of things to do once in a lifetime does include visiting one of the 7 ancient man-made wonders.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
New Orleans Mardi Gras
i think i can save you some time here. just come to my place. i'll get you ripping drunk off hurricane's, stuff you in a 10' x 10' room with 50 equally drunk frat boys, show you my girlfriend's boobs, punch you in the face, and take your wallet (and one shoe). you'll be back in san fran before you can say "zydeco"!

kevin t

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
come to my place. i'll get you ripping drunk off hurricane's, stuff you in a 10' x 10' room with 50 equally drunk frat boys, show you my girlfriend's boobs, punch you in the face, and take your wallet (and one shoe).
Kevin, this sounds like too good of a deal to pass up. Can you offer me any group discounts? :D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Kevin
Thanks man...hope you ok'd it with your girlfriend:D
Most of the events are like that;hence the once in a lifetime. Most of my good friends have gotten alcohol poisoning from Mardi Gras, one reason why I have stayed away.
Gotten admit the Highland games won the "Drunken Award"... never saw so many people the next day having face cuts (cobblestone roads and too drunk to put their hands out when falling over)
Jack
I wish so much I could have seen the Beatles but I was 4 when they played the Stick. That's so great

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
BrianB,

I guess it depends on the amount of light available and the amount of cloud covering. I am actually surprised by the statement myself. I think the Great Wall is the still the only man-made object to be visible from space (like from the Space Shuttle). Until the completion of China Three Gorge Dam project.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I guess it depends on the amount of light available and the amount of cloud covering. I am actually surprised by the statement myself. I think the Great Wall is the still the only man-made object to be visible from space (like from the Space Shuttle). Until the completion of China Three Gorge Dam project.
I have a desk calendar at work that just gives random facts. One day a couple months back the message said that this is false.

Aaron

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,

I will take your word for it. Doesn't really matter to me. Maybe I will take that once-in-a-lifetime trip to space.....now, where did I put NASA's number?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
talked to a guy who had been to the great wall.
About 40ft to 50ft wide and about 10 to 30 miles unbroken length.
You should be able to see most LA freeways if you can see that

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Rule the world
Have a harem
Visit Japan
Visit Australia
Walk on every continent
Raise the Jolly Roger, and plunder the Spanish Main
Travel in Time

John.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Jed:
The only survings of the seven wonders of the ancient world is the Great Pyrmiads. There are ruins (of the foundation) of the Hangings Gardens... but Babylon is present day Iraq, so you'd have to wait a bit.
So... I went to Times Square on New Years 2000. I had not planned on going, I got there @ 11:55pm! (left at ~8:20pm)
I'd like to go into space. But it either needs to get a lot cheaper, or I need to get a lot richer. Who knows though.. in 40 years I'll be in my early 60's, maybe it'll be cheap by then. :)
You can see the Great Wall from space. You can't see anything manmade from the moon though. You can also see roadways and all sorts of big things from up in orbit. Can't make them out too well without knowing what they are, but you can see them.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I know I've read somewhere the explanation for why the Great Wall can't be seen from the moon, but I can't find it now. Basically the width of the wall is just too narrow, so it just isn't possible to see it from the moon. Its like drawing a long line on a wall with a pencil, once you step back far enough, regardless of how long the line is you just won't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks