What's new

Once in a lifetime (1 Viewer)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
The earth, as seen from the moon 260k miles away takes up 2 arc degress.

The smallest thing you can make out would be ~.4 miles. Then add the atmosphere of the Earth into the equation, and you can't make up anything more than clouds and patches of land. According to the few folks that have been there, at times you can't even make out the shape of the continents.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

hahah ... that is easily solved with a few hundred dollars (or less depending on what part of the world you are)

Myself ... climbing Mount Everest

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I did a lifetime pilgrimage to the great cemetary east of downtown Vienna in 1985. There I placed flowers on the graves of Beethoven and Brahms.

After restoring a 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite Mark 1, I drove it up to the meet at Mount Hood. There Geoffrey Healy himself checked out my car and said it was OK by him.

I scored the highest on my SATs of anyone in the Bay Area my year, including two perfect 800s.

I had to sheppard an experimental data system aboard USS Long Beach during one of our crisis in the late 1980's. Far out at sea one night I got to see USS Missouri fire broadsides with her 16 inch guns from about 1/4 mile away.

Working on the USS Missouri later on, I got down and kissed the medalion on the deck marking where the Japanese signed the unconditional surrender document ending WWII. I told the weapons officer that was for my Uncle Don, killed by the dirty Japs on the Baatan Death March.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks