What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wim Wenders’ haunting, evocative, poignant, and soulful Wings of Desire is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, one of those films that stays with you long after you’ve watched its last frame.

Wings of Desire (1987)

Released: 06 May 1988
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 128 min

Director: Wim Wenders
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance

Cast: Bruno Ganz, Solveig Dommartin, Otto Sander
Writer(s): Wim Wenders, Peter Handke, Richard Reitinger

Plot: An angel tires of his purely ethereal life of merely overseeing the human activity of Berlin's residents, and longs for the tangible joys of physical existence when he falls in love with a mortal.

IMDB rating: 8.0
MetaScore: 79

Disc Information

Studio: Criterion
Distributed By: N/A...

Continue reading...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Good review, Matt. I especially liked the comment, "With minimal angelic dialog and using more body language and facial expressions than words to evoke an emotional response in the viewer, Bruno Ganz and especially Otto Sander give superb performances." Otto Sander has one of the most expressive faces I've ever seen, even moreso in this film's sequel, In weiter Ferne, so nah! [Faraway, So Close!], in which Cassiel takes his turn in the lead.

I'm assuming that Criterion used the same master that Curzon used for the British release (which I have) but I'll be interested if anyone has compared the two. I'll have to compare the extras to see if it's worth picking up the Criterion as well.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I like that some of these art house films aren’t adding HDR to their 4K releases to maintain an accurate look as to what it looked like when released. The Apartment is another example. Sometimes I wish I could simply turn HDR off like you could with Dolby in the old audio cassette days.
Another great review Matt!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks