Oliver Beene

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Alexander, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

There were a few funny moments, very few, but overall it seemed like this show was trying to be something that it's not - the next groundbreaking show from FOX. First, I hate over narrated shows - and this show was very much over narrated. One of the main problems I had w/ the show is that it doesn't/won't appeal to a broad audience because of being centered around the late 50's or early 60's. That was the time of the civil rights era when there wasn't alot of interaction between whites and blacks. A show based around that time can work as a drama or something serious, but how will they overcome this obstacle w/ a TV comedy? How do they plan on integrating minorities in the show? Anyway, I feel that the audience for this show will become alienated really quick. I could be wrong w/ all of this, but we'll see. Good luck FOX.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I agree. Not so hot. Both Simpsons and Malcolm got many multiples the laughs. Very tame for Fox, and very disjointed.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Absolute crapfest. The Wonder Years + Malcom +LAME

I give it 6 eps

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Boy, that stank. I hope they cancel it soon so that Wendie Makkena can hopefully jump ship to something good.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Meh, it was okay, but seemed to rely on too many conventions.

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Set it in New York and call it "Friends".

/Mike

7. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

Didn't like it. Maybe one or two mild chuckles. I like the lack of laughtrack as always, but not that great really as a whole. I won't be watching again.

David Cross, do you really need the paycheck this bad?!?!? I love you man, there are better gigs.

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

The main character, Arnold, is completely blind. Can't he see that Winnie Cooper has a crush on him? I am sure if she takes off her glasses she will be a real cutie.

Other than that, I thought Oliver Beene was completely new and revolutionary stuff. Set in the 60's...add a nostalgic narrator...pure genius.

This is going to be a great week with the premier of this show and The Hunted coming out in theaters. Whoo hooo!

9. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I coludn't even watch the whole thing. It got turned off after about 10 minutes, and I must say it may be the worst sitcom to come along in YEARS!

They got rid of Andy Richter but thought this was a good idea?!?

-Lyle J.P.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I also turned it off after 10 minutes. It felt like it was trying real hard to be Malcolm, rather than its own show.

Jason

11. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

12. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    This show is a travesty. Grant Shaud reviving his tired Murphy Brown histrionics, the jerky sex-obsessed older brother, an offensively stereotyped gay 12-year-old, lots of toilet and erection gags - FOX broke up the King of the Hill/Simpsons combo for this? Even the worst episodes of Malcolm are more watchable. If this pile of garbage gets renewed over Bernie Mac I think I'll blow up my set.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It's not so bad; remember the Pitts? I'll agree that it's not daring or innovative and that it aims much lower than any other show on the Fox line-up. But it's entertaining enough, and better than the post game show. I really like the Dad character, as well as the girl Oliver friend.

I wouldn't miss the show terribly if it's gone, but nor do I despise it for wasting a timeslot, like the Pitts, Joe Millionare, or any other of the real trash Fox puts on the air.

14. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

Just to add a dissenting point of view: I like it a lot, think it's very funny. Great cast. Much funnier than "Wonder Years," which was as much a half-hour drama as a sitcom. (Not to say there's anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.) Happily, it has lasted beyond the 6-episode prediction. [​IMG]

15. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I agree, I like this show alot also. Very funny and glad to see it back.

16. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I like it too. At first I thought it was gonna suck, but ended up getting surprised.

17. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

very funny. Certainly better then recent friends.

18. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I enjoyed last week's episode. I clearly remember as a kid those ads in the back of the comic books. I always wanted one of the $1 "XRAY Glasses" and the $4 nuclear submarines.