What's new

The Pride and the Passion (1957) Spirit Media Germany (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Pride and the Passion has always been one of my favourite films since first seeing it theatrically in 1957. Olive released a Blu-ray in 2016 which looked barely better than the DVD and the framing at 1.75:1 was completely wrong with the picture seemingly zoomed in.

I recently obtained a German Blu-ray of the film "Stolz uno Leidenschaft" released by Spirit Media (with English and German language options) with a 2019 copyright which is clearly from a far better master. The picture quality is excellent and shows up the Olive version for the abomination which it is. Aspect ratio is 1.66:1 which of course is still incorrect. Nevertheless I still recommend the disc for its vastly improved picture quality and better framing. The disc includes an extensive picture gallery of stills and publicity material and the original trailer.

I took these photos from my TV screen mainly to show the framing. First is the Olive. Second Spirit Media.

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • P.jpg
    P.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Pride and the Passion has always been one of my favourite films since first seeing it theatrically in 1957. Olive released a Blu-ray in 2016 which looked barely better than the DVD and the framing at 1.75:1 was completely wrong with the picture seemingly zoomed in.

I recently obtained a German Blu-ray of the film "Stolz uno Leidenschaft" released by Spirit Media (with English and German language options) with a 2019 copyright which is clearly from a far better master. The picture quality is excellent and shows up the Olive version for the abomination which it is. Aspect ratio is 1.66:1 which of course is still incorrect. Nevertheless I still recommend the disc for its vastly improved picture quality and better framing. The disc includes an extensive picture gallery of stills and publicity material and the original trailer.

I took these photos from my TV screen mainly to show the framing. First is the Olive. Second Spirit Media.
I have the Olive disc. I don't remember it being as bad as you say but I'll have another viewing of it in the next day or so, possibly tonight if I'm in the right mood. If I find it as awful as you do, I'll buy this German disc. The Olive disc cover gives the aspect ratio as 1.78:1. One of the reasons Twilight Time rejected the master was the wrong aspect ratio.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As long as one is seeing all of the proper information left and right, the horizontal crop of VVLA was never set in stone.

While 1.85 is nice, with sides intact nothing wrong with 1.78 or 1.66. The concept was that the format was shot to fit all screens.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
As long as one is seeing all of the proper information left and right, the horizontal crop of VVLA was never set in stone.

While 1.85 is nice, with sides intact nothing wrong with 1.78 or 1.66. The concept was that the format was shot to fit all screens.

1paramount_frame_guide.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks